• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[This Week's Rant] Too Many Mechanisms

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I'm personally perfectly fine with these two systems you have. After all, it's basically D&D's mechanic while only rolling d6s for damage, so it's even simpler than good ol' D&D, which prefers to "roll all the dice" when it comes to damage. The fact that — other than swapping out the d20 for 2d6 — this is basically my own system's current dice mechanic doesn't color my preferential perception of it in any way. :whistle:
Yep... no bias there at all. I have kind of harped on other systems where for all of their sub systems (magic, etc.) they have different systems for them all and how it bugs me. Now, I'm designing a game that has 2 systems. One for the core and one for the damage mechanic. I actually tried to meld it into one system entirely where the d20 + modifier die is used for damage as well but playtesters want the d6 for damage and what I call the BINGO damage mechanic.

Alban

Validated User
That's all very well if you can get the feel/results you want out of one mechanism. I liken it to having the right tools for any job - I can cut a piece of wood using a bow saw, a tenon saw, a hand saw, a chainsaw or even a hacksaw* but I need to match the tool to the wood and the result I want to get the best outcome.

* :oops:
Well, as I said, I always have 4 different base tools, which I use in different contexts. All derive from a single system, the character's ability check.
I also use customized versions of those tools when needed. Fights are based on Extended Opposed contests, but they have their own specific rules.

darnest

PureImaginationNoLimits..
Validated User
That's all very well if you can get the feel/results you want out of one mechanism. I liken it to having the right tools for any job - I can cut a piece of wood using a bow saw, a tenon saw, a hand saw, a chainsaw or even a hacksaw* but I need to match the tool to the wood and the result I want to get the best outcome.

* :oops:
I gotta say I think you are looking at the tools wrong. The Dice are the clamps holding the wood in place, The players are choosing the saw. The players choosing what saw to use is what make PBtA, Savage Worlds, DnD 5th, and all these other main stream games sell so well. Look at Burning Wheel, has 1 dice mechanic and like 5 different mini games for resources, social and physical combat. magic, etc.. Each "system" has a bunch of choices (what saw) and then you clamp down your wood (dice) and cut.
Does that Bone saw work; like crap on the hardwood, but I got through the soft wood when I also used X.

Your players should always shape the story not the dice. I find the moment when a Player rolls and gets 2, FAIL, and they look about for anything they can do the worst moment in any game. At least if they had choices before the roll, that moment is muted.
So no you don't need 17 or 3 different ways to roll the dice. 1 for setting the challenge and one to differentiate damage if you want that. Then give them choices for the feel you want, chocies that modify the core mechanic if you must/want.
Can you do it where you have 4 systems: Hell Yes. I just think you will immediately shrink your player pool.

This is exactly what I mean:
Well, as I said, I always have 4 different base tools, which I use in different contexts. All derive from a single system, the character's ability check.
I also use customized versions of those tools when needed. Fights are based on Extended Opposed contests, but they have their own specific rules.
As always thats IMHO.

Top Bottom