• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Thor Trailer

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
I think he's gong off on the casting. And I think Branagh hired Elba because Elba is cool, good looking and has a screen presence. Not because Elba is black.
That was what I was trying to suggest, in a slightly subtle kind of way ;)

As a related anecdote I recently learnt that the original casting call for the commander in Star Trek Deep Space Nine didn't specify an ethnicity at all, and that the character became an African-American man simply because Avery Brooks was cast in the part. If Sidig El Fadil had got the part (he did audition for it) presumably the commander would have been an Englishman of Arabic descent ;)

GabrielK

No puppet! No puppet!
Validated User
Whereas the non-geeks much more reasonably obsess about Beyoncé Knowles' private life, a far more worthy subject than the interpretation of ancient mythologies across action-adventure media. :cool:
Hey obsess all you want about whatever. I do that myself. But some people just get too worked up over fictional things.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I confess to having been a little disappointed by The Life-Eaters - I prefered the original short story it was based on, which was a fantastically dark and potent little tale which hinted at all sorts of stuff without needing to flesh out a whole world or provide a full resolution, and was all the stronger for it.
I never read the short story. Is it pretty much the same as the first chapter of the comic?

xnbach

Retired User
True, though that said I'm pretty sure that Marvel's Heimdall had white skin (even if the movie one does look cool). Because, y'know, they're Nordic.
As has been mentioned previously, they're not Nordic. They're alien space gods with science-magic. The people who worshipped them were nordic.

I believe I read some where that the reason we have Heimstringerbell and an Asian Hogun is that these are Gods, Gods are worshipped by all sorts of humans (even teh non-white ones), so the Gods themselves will look like all sorts of humans (even the non-white ones). Which makes even more sense when you consider that this is probably the only Space God Heaven we are going to get. The Avengers movie-verse is bringing in all sorts of different characters, but I doubt that we are going to get Hercules or the Eternals or anything like that.

Maybe it's best to think of them like the angels in Supernatural. Even though they all have Hebrew names, they can look like anyone.

Also, as somone else mentioned, according to Marvel Mythology, Redbearded Thor was the Thunder God during the Age of Aries, which ended when Jesus was born. Blond superhero Thor is the Piscean Age Thundergod. So if it bothers you that much, remember that white Heimdal was the guardian of the rainbow bridge for two thousand years before the Common Era, and the movie version is the Piscean one. It really helps when you realize that Kirby thought Erich von Däniken was an endless source fo story fodder.

You really have to keep in mind that this is not the mythology of the Aesir so much as this is the Marvel version of Superman hit with a Captain Marvel stick. As far as mythological accuracy, I have more problems with the fact that Sif has black hair and isn't married to Thor than I do with an African American Heimdal or Asian Hogun.

I really am looking forward to this as Thor was my favorite superhero as a kid (despite all the things they got wrong about mythology, at least Thor got to fight a giant planet head). I hadn't made the Idris Ebla connection until someone else mentioned the Wire.

Now if only we could get Omar up in Asgard too:D

Kreuzritter

Validated User
and a realization sold me on the movie's plot

"I am Thor, I was a God until..."

"You are unworthy. I take from you your power. and I CAST YOU OUT!!"

*whistle*

"When One is banished, One has nothing. No immortality, no Magic, stranded on whatever world of the Allfather's choosing.

"Oh no... this is Earth, isn't it?"

"You perform whatever task comes your way...

*Thor beats up a lot of SHEILD agents*

"Rely on any who deign to speak with you.

A healer

Jane Foster gets out of the ambulance

a servant of the realm

"I dunno, guy never tells me anything"

And family, if the need is dire

Loki Smiles...

but Ultimately, Until you can redeem yourself

*Thor stares down The Destroyer *

You shall go no further.

Rick

Who wishes he were a Jedi
Validated User
As has been mentioned previously, they're not Nordic. They're alien space gods with science-magic. The people who worshipped them were nordic.

I believe I read some where that the reason we have Heimstringerbell and an Asian Hogun is that these are Gods, Gods are worshipped by all sorts of humans (even teh non-white ones), so the Gods themselves will look like all sorts of humans (even the non-white ones). Which makes even more sense when you consider that this is probably the only Space God Heaven we are going to get. The Avengers movie-verse is bringing in all sorts of different characters, but I doubt that we are going to get Hercules or the Eternals or anything like that.

Maybe it's best to think of them like the angels in Supernatural. Even though they all have Hebrew names, they can look like anyone.

Also, as somone else mentioned, according to Marvel Mythology, Redbearded Thor was the Thunder God during the Age of Aries, which ended when Jesus was born. Blond superhero Thor is the Piscean Age Thundergod. So if it bothers you that much, remember that white Heimdal was the guardian of the rainbow bridge for two thousand years before the Common Era, and the movie version is the Piscean one. It really helps when you realize that Kirby thought Erich von Däniken was an endless source fo story fodder.

You really have to keep in mind that this is not the mythology of the Aesir so much as this is the Marvel version of Superman hit with a Captain Marvel stick. As far as mythological accuracy, I have more problems with the fact that Sif has black hair and isn't married to Thor than I do with an African American Heimdal or Asian Hogun.

I really am looking forward to this as Thor was my favorite superhero as a kid (despite all the things they got wrong about mythology, at least Thor got to fight a giant planet head). I hadn't made the Idris Ebla connection until someone else mentioned the Wire.

Now if only we could get Omar up in Asgard too:D
I'm with you on everything you said. Especially the Sif thing and the fact that Odin is upset about Thor 5bringing about war... Odin, not liking war... Mmmm-K. HA! Or that loki is Odin's Son? Man What? Marvel characters are weird. I'm looking forward to the movie.

I do however think that it would be interesting if someone were to try and find an angle for a retelling of Norse mythology in cinema.

On the hammer, Mjolnir was a solid piece of steel that is not properly made (by a Dwarf) thus the short handle in mythology.

Rick

Who wishes he were a Jedi
Validated User
and a realization sold me on the movie's plot

"I am Thor, I was a God until..."

"You are unworthy. I take from you your power. and I CAST YOU OUT!!"

*whistle*

"When One is banished, One has nothing. No immortality, no Magic, stranded on whatever world of the Allfather's choosing.

"Oh no... this is Earth, isn't it?"

"You perform whatever task comes your way...

*Thor beats up a lot of SHEILD agents*

"Rely on any who deign to speak with you.

A healer

Jane Foster gets out of the ambulance

a servant of the realm

"I dunno, guy never tells me anything"

And family, if the need is dire

Loki Smiles...

but Ultimately, Until you can redeem yourself

*Thor stares down The Destroyer *

You shall go no further.
Well played. I feel that Bruce Campbell would make any movie better too.

Top Bottom