• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Thoughts on DCC.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
So I've run quite a few adventures now for my Roll20 group. A couple of published modules, and a bunch of my own stuff.

My thought right now, is that if the Judge goes easy on the party, then a lot of the cool elements of DCC lay semi-dormant. Luck gets saved, and spell fumbles don't happen too often.
The player's aren't encouraged to spellburn, all that kind of jazz.
So my approach after we're done with Emerald Enchanter is to turn up the difficulty knob a little. We haven't lost a character since the funnel! :p
The characters have all these tools to deal with rough handling, like spellburn and luck, but don't have to use it unless you put them in serious jeopardy.

Jorjowsky

Validated User
Ah, thanks for the remainder; I need to re-read the rules on luck, spellburn, corruption and divine favour. My group finished their funnel a few days ago (we played through Sailors on the Starless Sea) and next Friday they'll start their first session (Doom of the Savage Kings) as level 1 characters -- which means things are about to get serious. Let's see how they do.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Cool beans. I don't have Doom of the Savage Kings. I'd like to hear how it plays out. :)

For the first few adventures, I reccomend reminding the players of their luck, like if they miss by a point or two, tell them that they can burn some luck to make the hit. I'm pretty transparent about target numbers, since they're gonna figure 'em out after a few close misses anyway.
Also, this means that a lot of 'save or suck' or 'save or die' rolls can be made by burning luck, so don't be afraid to use 'em. :D

Last edited:

Lord Blackstone

Validated User
I love the DCC adventures. They are just fun to run and play. We played #68 The People in the Pit Saturday Night. I used the D&D Next rules and it was very simple to convert. It was fun to watch my players get all "old school".

I simply cannot convince my players to play DCC itself but I use the main book as inspiration for whatever fantasy game I am running.

wraithform

Validated User
So my approach after we're done with Emerald Enchanter is to turn up the difficulty knob a little. We haven't lost a character since the funnel! :p
The characters have all these tools to deal with rough handling, like spellburn and luck, but don't have to use it unless you put them in serious jeopardy.
I was a player, not a DM, but I'm more familiar with the rules than the DM is. With our group, we continually rolled 10 or less on most of our dice-rolls, and many of the players forgot entirely about Luck- and spell-burning. We barely managed to get out by the skin of our teeth most of the time.

So, ultimately, it depends on the group. ;)

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
So far we have played the grinder, Sailors on the Starless Sea, People of the Pit, some module with a village and a black ghost-wolf and a cairn of the wolf-slayer looking for a magic spear (I can't identify it in the list of modules), and The Emerald Enchanter.

For most of the campaign, each of the players has maintained two characters at a time, plus a cadre of hirelings. Even with that, it's been a total meat-grinder! There's only one of the original group of 0-level nobodies left. We've been using Luck and Spellburn as much as we can.

My thoughts:

It sucks to be a thief at low level. My thief was always the one shoved out ahead of the party to scout for traps. With such low skills, he was always the one to set off the trap, or be spotted trying to sneak past something. So he took a lot of damage and he died A LOT! It became a running joke how many times my thief died.

And he never got a lot of opportunity to use sneak attack, what with only getting an attack every other round (Stealth, then attack, stealth, then attack).

I'm playing a wizard now, and her spells are for crap. I didn't make the character, I inherited her when my first two PCs died. She's got Magic Missile, Rope Trick, Hold Portal, and Chill Touch. I like the spell system, but it requires a LOT of charts and the random nature makes it hard to create strategy around the character's abilities. You can't count on having a spell when you need it. So she has essentially become a support archer, keeping her spells for when we really need them. And being an archer means I usually spend a lot of turns doing nothing to avoid firing into melee.

Overall, there's a lot i like about the game. A LOT. But the constant meat-grinder of sucking at low levels is starting to frustrate me.

Flexi

The Solitary Knight
Validated User
My thought right now, is that if the Judge goes easy on the party, then a lot of the cool elements of DCC lay semi-dormant. Luck gets saved, and spell fumbles don't happen too often.
I am guilty of being way too easy on the players as a Judge and as a result I did see this as well, when I first started playing DCC.

I love the DCC adventures. They are just fun to run and play.
+1 for this. I think I have enjoyed all the published DCC modules so far!:)

So far we have played the grinder, Sailors on the Starless Sea, People of the Pit, some module with a village and a black ghost-wolf and a cairn of the wolf-slayer looking for a magic spear (I can't identify it in the list of modules)
The module is Doom of the Savage Kings. I really liked that one. Very grim and spooky!

Last edited:

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
So far we have played the grinder, Sailors on the Starless Sea, People of the Pit, some module with a village and a black ghost-wolf and a cairn of the wolf-slayer looking for a magic spear (I can't identify it in the list of modules), and The Emerald Enchanter.

For most of the campaign, each of the players has maintained two characters at a time, plus a cadre of hirelings. Even with that, it's been a total meat-grinder! There's only one of the original group of 0-level nobodies left. We've been using Luck and Spellburn as much as we can.

My thoughts:

It sucks to be a thief at low level. My thief was always the one shoved out ahead of the party to scout for traps. With such low skills, he was always the one to set off the trap, or be spotted trying to sneak past something. So he took a lot of damage and he died A LOT! It became a running joke how many times my thief died.

And he never got a lot of opportunity to use sneak attack, what with only getting an attack every other round (Stealth, then attack, stealth, then attack).

I'm playing a wizard now, and her spells are for crap. I didn't make the character, I inherited her when my first two PCs died. She's got Magic Missile, Rope Trick, Hold Portal, and Chill Touch. I like the spell system, but it requires a LOT of charts and the random nature makes it hard to create strategy around the character's abilities. You can't count on having a spell when you need it. So she has essentially become a support archer, keeping her spells for when we really need them. And being an archer means I usually spend a lot of turns doing nothing to avoid firing into melee.

Overall, there's a lot i like about the game. A LOT. But the constant meat-grinder of sucking at low levels is starting to frustrate me.
Interesting. I wonder how we're getting such different results. We're about 2/3 of the way through Emerald Enchanter, and like I said, no losses at all. I've had a few characters get dropped to 0 hit points, but they've been able to get healing in time to avoid "turning over the body" rolls.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
I would also like to add, as a player, that the other players and I soon got tired of..

a) cultists

b) human sacrifices

c) rescuing kidnapped villagers

d) killing a monster only to have another monster burst out of the dead monster (snake-things, tentacle-things, skeleton-things, and snake-things again)

The modules we played (see above) got to be a little repetitive.

Nickskills

God King of Pants!
Validated User
Interesting. I wonder how we're getting such different results. We're about 2/3 of the way through Emerald Enchanter, and like I said, no losses at all. I've had a few characters get dropped to 0 hit points, but they've been able to get healing in time to avoid "turning over the body" rolls.
( I am in the same group as Mr Schemer)
Part fo the problem is getting our cleric to roll a double digit number. We have gone through 3 so far, and they all seemed ineffectual.

We actually have two characters from the original 16 left, but my level two wizard has spiraled out of all reason. I have 6 spells of my own, 3 from a magic ring (that have their own uses per day), and 3 from my Patron (which have 4 uses per day). The DM has been kind enough to print out each spell onto its own page, but I still take up a rediculous amount of table space,a nd I still feel like I can't strategize, what with my 40% chance of losing a spell.

No one in our group uses luck points, because we don't want the 5% less chance of surviving the corpse flip.

I like DCC, but I think it's best in small doses.

Top Bottom