TIMES FOR MAGICAL EFFECTS TO BECOME "LIVE" AGAIN

3rd Level Fighter

...has a cunning plan...
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Once more i turn to you for inspiration.

Many games have magic powers that are usable a number of times a day. But saying 'usable once per day' isn't very atmospheric, so if like a random table to roll on, either per power of per user, to determine when they could use it again...but can only think of two!!

Kinda pathetic, huh?

So I'd like some help in putting together a table of 4/6/8/10/12 or even 20 events which trigger a power being used again, other than 'at cock's crow' or 'at the stroke of midnight.'

If it helps, it's historical fantasy, 17th century, powers used by faerie types...

3rd Level Fighter

...has a cunning plan...
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Duh!

and of course aside from 'when the sun is at its zenith' and "when the sun falls below the horizon'

3rd Level Fighter

...has a cunning plan...
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oooh! here's a thought...maybe more powerful effects have more stringent refreshment conditions, so it's possible the beastie doesn't earn its power that day..."sitting at a crossroads at the break of dawn" or "laying on an unconsecrated grave at midnight" perhaps...?

So I need an 'easy' a 'middling' and a 'hard' table then...

Gaius of Xor

Validated User
Mmm, I think I misread you at first; on a reread, it sounds like you're primarily interested in more flavorful occasions/events that would/could happen daily, whereas I'd thought you were asking about more general activation conditions. So, not sure how helpful these'd be, but hey. >.> Maybe the fifth one for the "easy" list, at least?

1) When someone else speaks a particular word or phrase (possibly its name) in its awareness.*
2) When someone else in their presence swears an oath to do something the person finds difficult/unpleasant.
3) One of the creature's tendrils/tails/plumes/etc. (or a more vital limb for more potent powers) withers or visibly weakens when it uses the ability, until the creature has a long full rest. Said ability can't be used without at least one in a "fresh" state.
4) When a child cries over the destruction of their favorite toy.
5) When the morning glories fully open/close.

* Potentially swingy: can make a nice mind game element if it's bright enough to try to trick people into saying the trigger, but the activation condition might become much easier if it has a buddy along. The latter could be patched by requiring it be (to the best of the creature's understanding) either someone the creature regards as an enemy or someone who regards the creature as an enemy.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
A full day since you last used it is one obvious option.

The canonical hours maybe - when the church bells ring for Matins, or something.

The first birdsong of the new day.

LordofArcana

Validated User
How about the Sidereal day? There is an extra Sidereal day in the year compared to the Solar day we are familiar with.

For a daily duration instead of a daily cooldown you could have "when a particular candle burns out".

The cry of a rooster recharges it.

When a particular person first goes to sleep or wakes up for the day.

When they eat breakfast.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
For the really hard options, you can abandon the concept of "daily" entirely.

- When the new moon is at the top of the sky.
- When the stars are right (you know how this one goes).
- When two planets align (normal hard: any two planets, anywhere in the sky: extra hard: two specific planets).

Then there are the easier ones:
- When children clap their hands (Tinkerbell! Tinkerbell!). Maybe you require a lot of children, or the children need to be clapping for the fairy.
- When I sleep on the soil of my homeland (Dracula-style, and a solid weakness to exploit).
- When I dance for a few minutes in the ring of stones atop that distant hill (so... easy to recharge more than daily, but you gotta climb a bloody hill to recharge every time there's an emergency; there's nothing interesting or important or even a useful pathway anywhere near the hill, either).
- When I find a stalk floating upright in my green tea (this is supposed to be Good Luck in Japan, if I recall correctly).

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Hmm, in fifth D&D NPC's can regain an expended ability by rolling a d6 at the beginning of their next turn. If it comes up a 6, or 5-6, something like that, then they get it back[it "recharges" or "refreshes" is I think the termanology)].
For a more common ability, you might allow them to do that. You might also limit how often they can try to roll for it, so if they dont' get it back within three rounds they have to do some thing else to regain it.

Like meditate at a crossroads or light a candle they made or burn specific incense while they do a specific prayer.

Knaight

Validated User
I'd probably connect it to the natural world somehow, in one of two major ways.

Method 1: The magical world has detectable parallels to the natural world, which produce usable magic in some conditions. There's a few obvious ways that I see this working.

1a) Ambient magic isn't generally usable, but there are life-analogs that are. Every year, a mystic river floods its banks several times, producing harvests of magic. Magical "seas" constantly have flows that can be harvested, and occasionally you'll get massive flourishes of magic in their 'depths", tied to the death of a life-analog or even a major magical creature. A dead dragon might be the magical equivalent of a dead whale that sinks to the ocean floor, creating a massively fertile microbiome as long as the carcass lasts.

1b) Ambient magic isn't generally usable, but it acts like an atmosphere. There are rough analogs to temperature, pressure, and humidity, all flowing around. Some of these flows meet pretty energetically, creating situations akin to storms - and those bring usable magic with them. Magical theorists can explain it, but experienced mages can sometimes feel it coming and plan around it.

Method 2: Notable events in the natural world brink magic with them, some of which is usable, some of which just directly changes things.

2a) These are predictable, cyclical events. Dawn and dusk, solstices and equinoxes, the first flood of a river in a year, the first freeze in a year, the fall of leaves from deciduous trees, the first bloom of particular plants, eclipses, planetary alignments, etc.

2b) These are less predictable, sporadic events you want to be near, and the sources of major power are actually disasters. A nearby lightning strike, a hail storm, an earthquake, a tsunami, a volcano erupting, being near an ongoing brushfire of sufficient size, sudden shifts in the earth's magnetic field, etc.

Methods 1 and 2 are very much compatible, especially if they feed each other. A huge forest fire being metaphysically associated with heat and raising the temperature-analog in the magical atmosphere is totally reasonable. So is that life-analog of magic being a secondary ecology for magical beings that definitely exist as material beings, starting with the fey.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Ars Magica doesn't have resets like D&D (mage spells are at-will or fatiguing, magical creatures spend points), but spell durations are funkier. Standard ones are Concentration, Diameter (the time for the sun to move its own diameter, about two minutes), Sun (spell ends at dusk or dawn, which ever comes first), Moon (something similar but complicated involving moon phases), and Year (spells ends after four equinox/solstice[1] days, so you get the longest duration by casting *on* such a day.) Also Ring -- lasts as long as a circle the spell is cast on is unbroken.

Then some other ones in supplements, which I mostly don't know details of. https://ironboundtome.wordpress.com/2014/07/03/list-of-ars-magica-ranges-durations-and-targets/ "Year and a day" was a faerie option. "Season" seems obvious, and "40" might be "40 days", kind of biblical (oh yeah, it's from the Divine book.)

There was also a cyclical magic merit, where you could get stronger or weaker at player-defined/referee-approved periods: day and night, seasons, etc. Probably merits for "stronger near fire" and such too.

Anyway, not a direct answer, but maybe inspirational.

Hmm, for a slow reset, a spell might require your hair, and be usable again only when your hair has regrown to some length.

"When you have slept in a different place than the night before."

"When you have slept in a place you have never slept before."

After having sex.

After eating.

After sleeping (basically the 8 hours/long rest of more recent D&D.)

After going over the horizon from where you last used a power.

After it rains.

After the next eclipse.

After you see a dead body.

After you hear a baby cry.

Top Bottom