• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Tiny Dungeon/TinyD6] Doing anything with it? Tell me, please, if so!

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
My friend Ben Monroe just introduced me to Tiny Dungeon and its underlying TinyD6 system, and I'm really loving it on reading. Here's its category at DriveThru.

It's a very simple system: roll 2d6 as a dice pool, and each 5 or 6 rolled is a hit. When you have advantage, thanks to circumstances, a relevant trait, etc., you roll a third die. (Never more than three. Only one advantage matters.) When you have disadvantage, thanks to circumstances, etc., you roll just one die. Your character has a heritage, which might be species or might be a different kind of legacy, which sets their hit points and gives a heritage trait, and some independent traits specific to them as individuals. Things are streamlined throughout, and look fun.

There's actually a whole cluster of lil' stand-alone games using the same system. Tiny Dungeon has D&D fantasy in mind. Tiny Wastelands is post-apocalyptic. Tiny Frontiers is Traveller-esque. Tiny Gods is what it sounds like, and the book recommends combining it with another game for the full fun of gods in a cool context. Beach Patrol is Baywatch. :) Mecha and Monsters is just what it sounds like. And so on. There's a campaign for Tiny Dungeon that is just blatantly, ridiculously pandering to Bruces like me, involving the brave adventurers of an undersea kingdom who venture onto land for stuff that's hard to make or find underwater.

As with, oh, Risus and Over The Edge, to pick a couple games I also love in this general style and level of complexity, it looks like there's enough room to keep going for a good long while. And the flexibility of it means it'd be suitable, it seems, for never-realized dream series of mine like adventuring in a fantasy version of the Sierra Nevada mountains, or space gods in the Traveller milieu.

Anyone played it? What did you think of it? How'd it go? Enlighten me, please!

Baumi

Validated User
I love TinyD6. No Stats, no Math .. all FUN! :) It's very cool that it still manages to create interesting Characters and since it is so light, it is easy to create Adventures and Add-ons for it. 8D

But it does have some downsides. Magic only very few spells with the optional Disciplines and without even less , Prestridge Traits/Disciplines exist only for a few Archetypes (nothing for a standard Fighter) and a small but annoying thing .. I don't know how to handle thrown weapons (how do you learn them, do they count as small or ranged weapons,..).

So far I only had the change to play a One-Shot, which went great, but I do not know how good or bad it performs in a full campaign.

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Ooh! Thanks for listing the various TinyDice line up, B Bruce Redux ! :D

I have TinyDice on my Wishlist, and I may be look into this series of games as well.

Lately, I’ve been looking for rules-light (at least more simple) or somewhat less crunchy systems, so I’ve been looking at freeform rpgs (like Fudge, Fate, QAGS, CAH, PDQ, Risus, etc) and others like OneDice, Unisystem, etc. :)

One of my ideas is to to do more beach, island, and aquatic settings (with merpeople), so I’ll be adding Beach Patrol and Tides of Destiny to my Wishlist as well. :)

BMonroe

Validated User
Tides of Destiny looks awesome. My daughter's been on a mermaid kick lately, so when my hardcopy arrives, I'll have to show it to her.

The rest of the Tiny* line looks really fun. I've been reading them off and on for a couple of months now, and really like them. They're "Beer & Pretzels" style games in their complexity, but with enough meat on them bones that I could see running long games with them. Really looking forward to sitting down at the table and giving them a whirl.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Ooh! Thanks for listing the various TinyDice line up, B Bruce Redux ! :D

One of my ideas is to to do more beach, island, and aquatic settings (with merpeople), so I’ll be adding Beach Patrol and Tides of Destiny to my Wishlist as well. :)
You are very welcome! I thought, well, what do I like when others burble about games, and tried to include that. :) And I also am such a fan of underwater stuff, but have only ever really gotten to write at length about it once, and then that project didn't get published. I will yet have my revenge on this void, and maybe via this game!

The rest of the Tiny* line looks really fun. I've been reading them off and on for a couple of months now, and really like them. They're "Beer & Pretzels" style games in their complexity, but with enough meat on them bones that I could see running long games with them. Really looking forward to sitting down at the table and giving them a whirl.
That's about the size of it, yeah. :)

ORtrail

Validated User
Waiting on my Tiny Supers Kickstarter book to really take a look at the system. It's pretty much reflex for me to buy a physical copy of any super hero RPG I run across these days.

I'm reminded a bit of the old TWERPS booklets actually, reading the comments in this thread.

Top Bottom