IC To Sail the Sleeping Stars

Donan

Validated User
Erriath, currently silent and shrouded in shadow and cloth robes, settled by the wall at the Captain's back, keen eyes studying the room and waiting, just in case anything slipped past the armsmen outside, however unlikely that might be.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Olga made sure there were enough armsmen stationed between the door and the stairways that she wouldn't be interrupted by surprise and went to join Horatio. The temptation of secrets was too much for her to fight against even for a moment and she quickly shooed the Eldar away from the console, burying herself in the data. She was looking for two things -- dirt on the Cardinal that she could use in her meeting, and any information on the heirs apparent to the Governor's position.
Typing away at the unlocked cogitator and shuffling through various data-slates, you manage to not only discover the former governor's Imperial access codes, but his tithe management tools and requisition channels as well. In addition, you find a number of encrypted diary entries - now hacked and open by an unknown entity - that list various secrets and tendencies for each of the notable personages on the planet. The Cardinal, foremost on the recordings, seems to have a very basic desire for extravagant wine - one of which being your mother's own favorite drink, the Velvet LaChance - and beautiful exotic women... including occasionally dipping into xenos territory it seems. However, anything and everything concerning the Lord Sword is either heavily redacted or extremely minimal at best. Concerning heirs apparent, the entire family of said governor was killed along with him, leaving a power gap with no contingencies to fill it beyond the appointment of a high-ranking Imperial official as regent until the Administratum can choose a new ruler.

Last edited:

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Erriath, currently silent and shrouded in shadow and cloth robes, settled by the wall at the Captain's back, keen eyes studying the room and waiting, just in case anything slipped past the armsmen outside, however unlikely that might be.
It takes little time before a problem suddenly crops up: something is currently engaged in quietly ripping the armsmen to shreds outside, as evidenced by their barely audible exclamations that even you can barely hear. Rushing outside, you witness the last of them being gripped by the throat and torso in a set of powerful toothy jaws even as they're bitten in half. The beast is massive, with a grey-green hide covered in blue-tipped spiny thorns, and its jagged long maw salivates with ichor. It's a Kroot Hound!

Last edited:

Donan

Validated User
Not good. Very not good! Erriath locked eyes with the Kroot Hound, his quills flaring in a dominance display. He snapped a few short commands in the tongue of Pech, a command to subside and submit. Gaze still locked on the dangerous beast, he tapped the microbead in his ear. "Captain. Stay in the room. You've been targeted." Ezekil and Brigia had left the mansion, which left..

"Horatio. I need you with me and the Captain. We're under possible attack." Another tap. "All squads, report status and position. Possible hostiles on site. Maintain position and keep eyes sharp. If any Swords enter, inform me and the Captain immediately."

Finally, he opened a channel to Brigia. "Sister. The Swords may use xeno beasts. There is one in the mansion in their colours. I have it controlled now, but there might be others. If they are like this one, they are used for tracking, hunting and silent kills. Be wary."

OOC: Using Beastmaster to employ Provoke against the Hound. https://orokos.com/roll/721328

Which is not a great roll. If need be, I'll spend my last fate point to have it heed Erriath's commands automatically.

Last edited:

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
Finally, he opened a channel to Brigia. "Sister. The Swords may use xeno beasts. There is one in the mansion in their colours. I have it controlled now, but there might be others. If they are like this one, they are used for tracking, hunting and silent kills. Be wary."
"Roger that." Brigia replied. "I shall take necessary precautions."

Starcrash

Validated User
“I do not.” Brigia replied plainly. “My last clear recollection is of drawing my Bolter on a blasphemous rebel. After that, nothing, until I awoke in the cargo hold of the lander. I am informed that I killed close to a score of the Captain’s Armsmen and quite nearly took my own life as well before I was stopped. Yet I bear no bruises nor wounds and other than the roof of mouth being severely blistered, no injuries to speak of. How was I put down?”
"There was a change in you. Your ire at being confronted by rebels was understandable, but then..." He shrugged his slight shoulders. "It was not unlike a form of spiritual malady, and given our recent travails, I feared the worst. By that time you were already in motion."

He raised his hand for her to see, and with a superfluous gesture, she saw. It was like watching a grainy pict-feed, but the figure she saw turning her weapon on the armsmen and then towards herself was unmistakable. Ezekiel continued as the vision faded. "I was, as you can imagine, quite perturbed. In order to prevent further tragedy, I felt I had no choice but to invade your mind. While I found no warp taint there, there was something that should not be. It was driving your emotional state into a fever pitch. Do you know what it is I speak of?"

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
"There was a change in you. Your ire at being confronted by rebels was understandable, but then..." He shrugged his slight shoulders. "It was not unlike a form of spiritual malady, and given our recent travails, I feared the worst. By that time you were already in motion."

He raised his hand for her to see, and with a superfluous gesture, she saw. It was like watching a grainy pict-feed, but the figure she saw turning her weapon on the armsmen and then towards herself was unmistakable. Ezekiel continued as the vision faded. "I was, as you can imagine, quite perturbed. In order to prevent further tragedy, I felt I had no choice but to invade your mind. While I found no warp taint there, there was something that should not be. It was driving your emotional state into a fever pitch. Do you know what it is I speak of?"
Briga brow furrowed at the physic image playing before. Despite their piety, the Sister was still vaguely uncomfortable in the presence of sanctioned pskyers and even more so when they projected themselves into her mind.

"I assume you speak of my Reprimand..." she said somberly, but with an edge of shame to her voice. Here she turned her head slightly and lifted up her hair to reveal the thick metal bolt implanted into the base of her skull. "The device is based on the same technology that drives the pilot of a penitent engine, designed to induce and intensify feelings of remorse and guilt - a desire for absolution, in order to urge the penitent towards redemption. But what you witnessed today, I have no explanation."

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not good. Very not good! Erriath locked eyes with the Kroot Hound, his quills flaring in a dominance display. He snapped a few short commands in the tongue of Pech, a command to subside and submit. Gaze still locked on the dangerous beast, he tapped the microbead in his ear. "Captain. Stay in the room. You've been targeted." Ezekiel and Brigia had left the mansion, which left...

"Horatio. I need you with me and the Captain. We're under possible attack." Another tap. "All squads, report status and position. Possible hostiles on site. Maintain position and keep eyes sharp. If any Swords enter, inform me and the Captain immediately."

Finally, he opened a channel to Brigia. "Sister. The Swords may use xeno beasts. There is one in the mansion in their colors. I have it controlled now, but there might be others. If they are like this one, they are used for tracking, hunting and silent kills. Be wary."
The simple commands to obey aren't enough – while they do give the hound pause, it merely shakes it off after a moment and proceeds to stalk towards you unabated. It requires a forceful show of dominance – fully raising your quills, snapping your beak viciously, and striking it across the maw – before it submits to your will. But at last it does, and lowered before you on its hindquarters, the Kroot Hound waits for a command from its new Kindred Shaper. And perhaps a meal. It's a big one after all.

OOC: Yeah, you'll need to use that Fate Point – a 1 isn't going to cut it here. (You needed a 3 or higher.)

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
An urgent communication suddenly flashes across through codecs and neural links, preceded by a sharp tone to get attention.

"Attention all retinue, council, and crew of the Anastasia Encarmine. This is your seneschal, Bastion Graves. Be advised that a large ship bearing Inquisitorial heraldry and broadcasting Imperial IFFs has just materialized out of the Immaterium and is heading towards the planet's orbit as we speak. Whatever you're going to do, now's the time."

The message is followed by another sharp tone then cuts off into silence.

Last edited:

Starcrash

Validated User
Briga brow furrowed at the physic image playing before. Despite their piety, the Sister was still vaguely uncomfortable in the presence of sanctioned pskyers and even more so when they projected themselves into her mind.

"I assume you speak of my Reprimand..." she said somberly, but with an edge of shame to her voice. Here she turned her head slightly and lifted up her hair to reveal the thick metal bolt implanted into the base of her skull. "The device is based on the same technology that drives the pilot of a penitent engine, designed to induce and intensify feelings of remorse and guilt - a desire for absolution, in order to urge the penitent towards redemption. But what you witnessed today, I have no explanation."
"It nearly killed you," he said bluntly. 'How can that kind of artificially induced self-destruction redeem you? If your actions have led you from the Emperor's light and your desire for contrition is true, then faith should be your standard and guide. This hateful technology is a death sentence."

His voice softened again. "Sister, you stand before me now only because I was able to excavate a command phrase from deep within your mind. If I had not," and this time there is no gesture, just the vision, sharp and clear of Brigia's tear-stricken face as the smoking muzzle of the bolter angles up towards her. The vision cuts off, but the point is made.

"Now," and this time his voice is strong with authority, "As a mere passenger on the Anastasia Encarmine you should be aboard ship, awaiting in your quarters for your destination. You would have no place here but for the grace of Lady-Captain Karinzsky. It is by her will alone that you accompany her entourage, and I must be certain you can do so without posing a threat to her - or yourself." The astropath's frailty seemed to have been shucked away, discarded like a winter robe, and now he stood tall, his staff gripped firmly and his expression set. "It is not the place of the Lady-Captain to assume responsibility and potential culpability for the death of an Adeptus Sororitas in her personal company. Further, you dishonour the sacrifice of Him-on-Earth with your artificial self-flagellation and seeming pursuit of a meaningless death!"

The zealotry abruptly dropped away, and Ezekiel was once more the calm and diffident servant. He held out his hand, palm raised. "Now...wil you allow us to help you?"

Top Bottom