IC To Sail the Sleeping Stars

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
"It nearly killed you," he said bluntly. 'How can that kind of artificially induced self-destruction redeem you? If your actions have led you from the Emperor's light and your desire for contrition is true, then faith should be your standard and guide. This hateful technology is a death sentence."

His voice softened again. "Sister, you stand before me now only because I was able to excavate a command phrase from deep within your mind. If I had not," and this time there is no gesture, just the vision, sharp and clear of Brigia's tear-stricken face as the smoking muzzle of the bolter angles up towards her. The vision cuts off, but the point is made.

"Now," and this time his voice is strong with authority, "As a mere passenger on the Anastasia Encarmine you should be aboard ship, awaiting in your quarters for your destination. You would have no place here but for the grace of Lady-Captain Karinzsky. It is by her will alone that you accompany her entourage, and I must be certain you can do so without posing a threat to her - or yourself." The astropath's frailty seemed to have been shucked away, discarded like a winter robe, and now he stood tall, his staff gripped firmly and his expression set. "It is not the place of the Lady-Captain to assume responsibility and potential culpability for the death of an Adeptus Sororitas in her personal company. Further, you dishonour the sacrifice of Him-on-Earth with your artificial self-flagellation and seeming pursuit of a meaningless death!"

The zealotry abruptly dropped away, and Ezekiel was once more the calm and diffident servant. He held out his hand, palm raised. "Now...wil you allow us to help you?"
“I tell you once again Choir-Master, I have no explanation for the events you bore witness to. The reprimand’s purpose is not to deprive the Penitent of their own free will and certainly not to take their own life in such a wasteful fashion. I do not deny what happened, I simply do not understand it. It is possible my implant has malfunctioned in some fashion. And between us, I pray that is the case, for otherwise the implication is far more...disconcerting.” She pauses for a moment remembering her earlier vision.

“Two secrets. That is what she said. That two secrets had been revealed. One which I had kept. The other, kept from me. This shutdown code, you will share it with the Captain...but only with her. None other. You will swear it, upon the steps of the Golden Throne.”

Starcrash

Validated User
The astropath dropped his hand and bowed his head in agreement. "Duty prevails. You have my word of confidence." But what did she mean by "two secrets"?

Then the vox sounded.

"Attention all retinue, council, and crew of the Anastasia Encarmine. This is your seneschal, Bastion Graves. Be advised that a large ship bearing Inquisitorial heraldry and broadcasting Imperial IFFs has just materialized out of the Immaterium..."

Last edited:

kitty voodoo

Validated User
The astropath dropped his hand and bowed his head in agreement. "Duty prevails. You have my word of confidence."

Then the vox sounded.

"Attention all retinue, council, and crew of the Anastasia Encarmine. This is your seneschal, Bastion Graves. Be advised that a large ship bearing Inquisitorial heraldry and broadcasting Imperial IFFs has just materialized out of the Immaterium..."
“Well..” Brigia quipped dryly “things are about to get very interesting indeed.”

She activated her own relay

“Sister Brigia to the Captain. How do you wish us to proceed? Should we continue to the constabulary’s fortress?”

Last edited:

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Olga's frantic reading and note-taking was interrupted by the knowledge that the freaking Inquisition was apparently on the table now. Her first instinct was to run as quickly as she could, but she suppressed that and instead considered the situation carefully. They had aided a stricken Imperial vessel, destroyed manifestations of the Warp, broke the back of a rebellion, and annoyed an annoying peace officer. None of that was illegal, which wouldn't stop an Inquisitor from torturing them. It might make the Inquisition feel bad about it, though.

She took a deep breath and then started giving orders. "Brigia, Ezekiel, stay on mission. Talk to the high lord shitheel and make him friendly. Graves, be cordial and make sure they know we did our best to save the transport vessel. Everyone else... shit. Prepare to head out to the cathedral!"

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Without prior warning an image suddenly manifests on the holographic screen in front of Olga: a stern and scarred female countenance with long hair and a large wide-brimmed hat marked with the insignia of the Inquisition. Beneath her portrait runs a long series of numbers that the Rogue Trader can tell is some kind of identification code -- likely the Inquisitor's Rosette authorization key, a tidbit she'd heard whispered about once in one of those boring dynasty soirees.

An audio message broadcasts onto the former governor's cogitator: "Eustace Thorne, planetary governor of Khyber. This is Inquisitor Seraphina Grey of the Ordo Hereticus. Our intelligence network has informed us of the loss of your entire Imperial Tithe to xenos, and I am here to investigate. Broadcast landing coordinates and prepare a welcome. That is all."

The message cuts out, as does the image in front of Olga.

Pandorym

Magitech Construct
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Meanwhile, Brigia and Ezekiel have finally reached the fortress sanctum of the Swords of the Sightless Eye. It seems to have bulked up its defenses in the interim of the last visit -- an energy shield crackles over the ceramite walls, and ten huge combat servitors with heavy weapons stand guard outside the building, a number of rebel and other corpses scattered around.

Starcrash

Validated User
Ezekiel's mouth purses as he considers the situation. "It seems they don't plan on falling foul of the rebels, at least," he remarks to Brigia. "Perhaps it would be best if you holstered your weapons for the moment. We don't want to give them the wrong idea."

He stepped out, arms spread in what he hoped the servitors would recognise as a non-threatening posture, and pitched his voice to carry to the hidden vox-captures that were doubtless monitoring the outside of the building. "I am the Astropath Ascendant Ezekiel, Choir-Master of the Imperial vessel Anastasia Encarmine under the command of Lady-Captain Olga Drevillin Karinzsky, and I bring you glad tidings. The rebellion is crushed, broken by the hands of our faithful armsmen. We come now to parley with you, with hands and hearts open, as similarly faithful servants of the almighty Emperor. We understand you have suffered at the hands of the vile insurgency, and wish to assist in making your world - and your people - whole again. May we be permitted to enter, and discuss your needs?"

kitty voodoo

Validated User
Brigia simply looked side-eyed at the Astropath as he made his entreaty.

“Correct me if I’m wrong Choir-Master, but I’m given to understand the Commander of this force has already met our Lady-Captain and things went...as I would expect them to. So if you’ll indulge me for a moment, given that in the one hand we have a dead governor and in the other an Inquisitor’s vessel in orbit, perhaps a more direct approach is needed."

The Sister Militant stepped boldly forward so the servitor’s camera could capture her full regalia.

“I am Sister-Superior Brigia Theodorus of the Order of the Sacred Pyre, Commanding Officer of Seraphim Squadron In Nomeni Patri. I request audience with the Captain of this Guard. I have important news, for his ears only.”

Last edited:

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
Horatio turned to Olga. "Shall I leave and find some other way to help your family here? Or did you want me to stay by your side?"

Starcrash

Validated User
Ezekiel allowed the Sister her say, then continued. "As the Sister-Superior says, we come bearing crucial information. I beg of you to allow us an audience. While our Lady-Captain is most passionate, she only wishes what is best for this world, and achieving that without an accord between us would doubtless result in further unnecessary strife. You represent one of the fundamental pillars of your society. Righting the wrongs that have been done here would be impossible without your participation, and should it not be your esteemed selves who receive the credit of securing the peace?"

Top Bottom