• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Girl Genius: Release the Smakken!

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
If I understand correctly Albia is not trying mind control nor to force Agatha into compliance. She's trying to convince Agatha to want to stay. The consequences of failure will probably be much milder than the consequences of attempting mind control, Lucrezia-style possession or outright force.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
She already stated outright that Agatha will stay. Period. Then she told the College of Mysteries to come up with something to make sure that happens.

Now, she has a plan that involves getting inside Agatha's head to do something her agents are being very careful to not tell her about. Why? The only answer that withstands scrutiny is that what Albia has planned is something she fully expects Agatha to violently object to. And Heterodynes are very good at objecting violently.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
If I understand correctly Albia is not trying mind control nor to force Agatha into compliance. She's trying to convince Agatha to want to stay. The consequences of failure will probably be much milder than the consequences of attempting mind control, Lucrezia-style possession or outright force.
She doesn't rule by mind control. But even back when she was a regular spark a few thousand years ago her specialty was mad social science. Sherlock level reading people and the like.

Mad Social Science is how you get a population willingly living in a sinking city, despite the accumulating problems and knowing it's eventually going to come crashing down, because to do otherwise would make your queen unhappy.

Candesce

Validated User
Something to keep in mind:

Loyalty to Albia clearly doesn't prevent the commission of violence or murder of her other subjects. This has been demonstrated on screen.

I'd be entirely unsurprised if her subjects most frequently in her presence are trying to read intent into her every idle phrase, so as to better serve her needs - and all sparks get distracted, sooner or later.

I expect she's got at least one "someone rid me of this turbulent priest" in the background that she doesn't realize is going on at all times.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Why deny that we have repeatedly been told that you cannot go against her merest whim, that it is literally unthinkable?
Because we only heard that from Gil. Once. While talking to Zola under the guise of being a pirate.

And Gil was perfectly willing to send Agatha to Albia in order to protect her from his father.

But really, what other cases of people bending to Albia's whim were there on screen? Do link. Because all I can remember is the guy who tried to turn himself into a god to stand on equal grounds to her, murdering tons of people along the way and messing with interdimensional monsters (which I assume Albia isn't too fond of given her history with Vapnoople).

We've seen Albia accomodate and- yes- manipulate Agatha into staying, but nothing about Lucrezia-style "devotion". But people here keep acting like Albia is the Other when, if she were, everybody in setting would hate her and pile on her.
Also, one of the recurring themes of GG is people trying to trap Agatha and make her their property, and the consequences of such. If Albia was smart, she would've tossed her out of the country in time for tea.
I'm not disputing Albia wants to keep Agatha. That's clear. It's textual.

I'm disputing that she's using mind control to do it, and that she's doing it as a whole on her country. Everybody hates mind control in setting. You'd think there'd be more venomous words on that than a single, offhand reference.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Unless you're so good at mind control that almost no one notices. :)

Whatever she does, Gil thought it was worth adding in a list that included "the Polar Lords tax fire", in why his putative pirate personality would choose to live in the Wulfenbach empire.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Because we only heard that from Gil. Once. While talking to Zola under the guise of being a pirate.

And Gil was perfectly willing to send Agatha to Albia in order to protect her from his father.

But really, what other cases of people bending to Albia's whim were there on screen? Do link. Because all I can remember is the guy who tried to turn himself into a god to stand on equal grounds to her, murdering tons of people along the way and messing with interdimensional monsters (which I assume Albia isn't too fond of given her history with Vapnoople).

We've seen Albia accomodate and- yes- manipulate Agatha into staying, but nothing about Lucrezia-style "devotion". But people here keep acting like Albia is the Other when, if she were, everybody in setting would hate her and pile on her.

I'm not disputing Albia wants to keep Agatha. That's clear. It's textual.

I'm disputing that she's using mind control to do it, and that she's doing it as a whole on her country. Everybody hates mind control in setting. You'd think there'd be more venomous words on that than a single, offhand reference.
The trouble is that I do have citations. They’re just scattered and it would take rereading the arc to find them all. Things where theyre talking to British citizens and things seem normal and then you hit a VERY odd response once the Queen comes up. And I can point out how she is being very effectively manipulative if both the party and the audience during their first meeting. But that’s subtle.

Which is why I like this really. It’s not overt mind control, but there’s still enough there to give you a sense of unease when you’re looking for it. As it should be.

edit: two specific things.

Londinium is sinking. The problems are accumulating. It is NOT sustainable, and everyone knows it. But people refuse to even consider doing anything else. When asked why not evacuate and set up elsewhere? The Queen wouldn’t hear of it.

Thorpe and Gil. Summarized:
“I want you to seduce and ultimately marry this person you’ve never met.”
“Oh. Alright then.”

I’m also wondering where Albia’s crazy is hiding. She’s a Spark, she DOES have some crazy. Beyond knowing she couldn’t resist rebuilding Agatha’s mind entirely if given the chance, and ominous comments about weeds. The thing is, her decisions say she’s a lot less balanced than she seems. She’s the one who won’t let go of Londinium after all.

Last edited:

sarellion

Validated User
I had the feeling that there is also a certain pride in not giving up and having created something marvelous in the process.
Also Moonbark said their island is still sinking, it´s not about giving up Londinium, they would have to abandon England.

Top Bottom