Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
I pretty much always take 'Eschew Materials' as my number one compulsory feat pick because I really really do not want to have bother with all that nonsense!
You don't even need to do that. Just buy a spell component pouch and you get to ignore just about every M in the spell lists.

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You don't even need to do that. Just buy a spell component pouch and you get to ignore just about every M in the spell lists.
That's how it works in 5e. Only foci worth more than 100gp have to be acquired, and many of them are not consumed. The diamond needed for Resurrection and the like is consumed, though.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
5e seems to let you use an arcane focus instead of trivial-cost components, making you more like fictional wizards. A staff focus costs 5 gp if you need to replace it, a wand 10.

OTOH protection from evil needs cheap but consumed components, which you still need.

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
D&D material components are a joke.

I don't mean "they are so bad they are a joke." I mean they are literally a joke. They are a bad pun. Basically every single one of them is a silly joke. To cast fireball, you need some of the materials needed to create gunpowder in the real world. A lightning bolt requires something that creates static electricity when rubbed. Passwall requires sesame seeds because "open sesame". Alarm requires a small bell. Flesh to stone requires the ingredients to make concrete. See Invisibility is talc powder, which you throw at people. Detect Thoughts needs a copper piece, because "a penny for your thoughts". It goes on and on.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
Which is the reason I mostly got rid of them in my games a few editions ago. The jokes were stale when I was in junior high.

Isator Levie

Validated User
D&D material components are a joke.

I don't mean "they are so bad they are a joke." I mean they are literally a joke. They are a bad pun. Basically every single one of them is a silly joke. To cast fireball, you need some of the materials needed to create gunpowder in the real world. A lightning bolt requires something that creates static electricity when rubbed. Passwall requires sesame seeds because "open sesame". Alarm requires a small bell. Flesh to stone requires the ingredients to make concrete. See Invisibility is talc powder, which you throw at people. Detect Thoughts needs a copper piece, because "a penny for your thoughts". It goes on and on.
That sounds like a solid form of mystical correspondence.

Top Bottom