• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
My alternative for material components is basically Dust from the RWBY series; litteral magic crystal Dust used to power magic.
Which isn't, conceptually, a million miles away from residuum from 4e, which was created when you disenchanted a magic item you didn't want, and could be used to empower the ritual to enchant another item (essentially allowing you to turn "treasure I don't want" into "treasure I do want").

Drfox

Validated User
I could see combining the two. Maybe a wand contains a bit of guano... or something less jokey... and gives a bonus when casting Fireball or other fire spells. I'd want to use attunment rules so people aren't just swapping out wands, but have A Wand like Harry Potter wizards.
Could you abstract the components for mechanical gameplay, but use it for comedy flavor?
"I cast fireball, but now nobody wants me to touch them until I wash my hands"

LordofArcana

Validated User
Could you abstract the components for mechanical gameplay, but use it for comedy flavor?
"I cast fireball, but now nobody wants me to touch them until I wash my hands"
Fighter: "Can you cast spider climb?"
Wizard: "Eww. For the last time, I'm not eating a spider".

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Which isn't, conceptually, a million miles away from residuum from 4e, which was created when you disenchanted a magic item you didn't want, and could be used to empower the ritual to enchant another item (essentially allowing you to turn "treasure I don't want" into "treasure I do want").
There's also Pathfinder Unchained's Esoteric Material Component rules, which work the same way, and would work best with the "Limited Magic" option, where you can cast any spells without material, but at a limited power level without the costly components.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
That sounds like something that ends with a wizard shouting "I'll show you all!" while being chased by people with torches and pitchforks.
Yep. Also nasty biothaumic residue that causes all KINDS of problems.

Favorite homemade monster, the Clone Ooze. Eats corpses, spawns clones with a short lifespan, but still clones so they keep being brought back after dying from the degeneration.

Top Bottom