• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Bicorn

Validated User
The story ends with the host (confusingly also named Loki, usually prefixed it Utgard (the scandinavian name for jotunheim) to distinguish the two), telling Loki+Thor+their servants the various tricks he used on them and promising that he is now going to use his magic to ensure that they can never find his home again because of how terrified him and his men are about how close they got to completing his impossible tasks, and then magicing away from them.

Loki had an eating constest with fire itself that fire won on points (it ate the bones and the table as well rather than merely the meat and marrow in the same time).
IIRC the fire-entity was also named Låge, which is pronounced almost the same as Loki, just to confuse things further.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
His statements here in particular are very much referring to his own self-interest. That strongly suggests "evil" to me especially since he could easily be acting in the "Have Loki fix it" mode instead but isn't.
Fair point.

IIRC the fire-entity was also named Låge, which is pronounced almost the same as Loki, just to confuse things further.
Which, given it's a spoken story, is probably part of the joke. Judoon Platoon upon the Moon...

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
"I'm not taking a principled stand against cheating, sweetie. I just don't want you to do it right now."

I love that line.

Lenin

Tolerant Ent
Validated User
Is this Nordic myth's equivalent of the Mirror Universe episode of Star Trek?

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Is this Nordic myth's equivalent of the Mirror Universe episode of Star Trek?
Not really. Considering there's a separate Jotnar ruler named Utgard-Loki, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that "Loki" is the Jotun equivalent to "Joe" or something. Just a common name that a lot of different Jotun have.

shockvalue

The Puncher Strikes!
Banned
Validated User
His statements here in particular are very much referring to his own self-interest. That strongly suggests "evil" to me especially since he could easily be acting in the "Have Loki fix it" mode instead but isn't.
I always regarded acting in your own self-interest to be mostly Neutral. Evil was wanting others to suffer, or at least bring callously indifferent to it.

On the other hand, "Forget it, Jake. It's D&D Alignment-town."

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
I kind of like Loki. :)

Of course I wouldn't trust him to tell me what time of day it is, but he's likable.

Reminds me of someone, I think it was Riker, saying the same thing about the Ferengi.

shikomekidomi

Validated User
I always regarded acting in your own self-interest to be mostly Neutral. Evil was wanting others to suffer, or at least bring callously indifferent to it.
One of the prime differences between Neutral, and Evil is how much you're willing to tolerate causing the suffering of other people when you pursue self-interest.

Top Bottom