• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

SuperG

Validated User
If it's a greek Demigod or something then it might be a four-color being.

Which means, with the Dark One, that the newly made world might be FIVE colors. Even more real than reality.
Yep, which makes this the line of reasoning that's most R+L=J type "dramatic reveal" - it would dramatically shake up the underpinnings of the world.

...as an Ex action?
Something like that? I have no idea how they managed to find a way, but this is 3.x we're talking about.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
Rich has stated about five times the MitD is in the Monster Manual.
In the past, how long did it take before the last strip included in a book, and the book actually appearing?
Depends on when you look. The turn around was pretty slow with War & XPs (the first I was getting right away), but the system has smoothed out since. The problem this time is that printing in China is a bit more problematic these days, which is likely why Rich has the pre-orders up now for a December release. It clocks in at 352 pages, so we're probably down to maybe 15 pages of updates now.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Rich has stated about five times the MitD is in the Monster Manual.
Has he?

"I will say this much: It is possible to guess. That is, it isn't something I just made up for the story."

No specific reference to the Monster Manual.

One big difference with R+L=J is that the latter was strongly hinted at in the text, and felt pretty obvious to lots of readers. All the Monster guesses seem like flailing at straws. None of the "best guesses" explain all the facts. Most of the guesses are crazy obscure, too.

vegetalss4

Validated User
There have been a lot of arguments during the various incarnation of that thread as to how significant the obscurity or fame of various guesses should be considered and as to how significant the revelation should be with people taking positions ranging all the way from "it'll be the central point of the entire comic" to "it's just be a minor neat thing rich decided to include early in the writing process as a running gag + guessing game and any actual significance will come entirely from the character development of the MiTD in the moment itself."

Edit: as a sidenote, while I agree that the MiTD don't have to be from dnd, I'm pretty sure the set of beings from greek mythology that hasn't been translated to dnd by now is an empty set.
Even the various deities and demigods tends to show up in the supplements about, well deities and demigods, since it's a popular pantheon that people know about.

Last edited:

Isator Levie

Validated User
I think, given the revelation of the significance of the Astral Plane in Rich's cosmology, that the MiTD's connection to it (it feels like home) indicate that the MiTD is a fictional creation.

wait, wait, I don't just mean tautologically so: I mean that it's most likely NOT inherently part of the OOTSverse. Which is to say I don't think it has a Monster Manual entry.

So my best bet is that it's part of Greek mythology that hasn't been D&D-ified, and thus somehow tied to the Snarl or the dead Pantheon - explaining why it's not just absurdly strong and tough (which is why Xykon keeps it around) but also has secret mystical powers they don't know about.
But haven't there been several characters that are supposed to have seen and recognised him?

I think that I said around the time that the Nightshade appeared that, for all that I enjoy the comic, it does rest in a somewhat awkward position of being heavily structured with Dungeons and Dragons references and depictions that kind of leave one out if they're not really familiar with the property. I believe that my exact words at the time were that when the Monster is revealed, about half of us are going to be in awe of it being depicted and all of the setup is going to elegantly coalesce, and the other half is going to need the first to explain exactly what it's been shown to be.

Otherwise, I don't think it does too well to put a huge amount on the significance of the reveal.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
But haven't there been several characters that are supposed to have seen and recognised him?
At least Xykon, Redcloak, and the hunters who trapped him in the first place (though they were surprised by his location and ability to talk, or maybe to talk Common, I forget.)

Top Bottom