• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Changing the subject from the present arc, there's something I've been wondering.

The longest-running mystery in the comic is, of course, the true nature of the Monster in the Darkness. And while there are a bunch of theories on the GITP forums (Athasian Nightmare Beast, slaad, etc.), the #1 theory by a good margin seems to be that it's a hagunemnon. What I don't get is... what would it mean if it is?
I have a theory...

1. It might be bunnies.

2. Seriously I think it's this.
Spoiler: Show
It's a Rakshasa Lord. Rich has stated that it's something guessable and in the MM, but not standard. Rakshasa Lord was a variant of Rakshasa published long ago in Dragon Magazine that fits the bill pretty closely. It could also be a Rakshasa Knight but I think the Lord is more powerful and has stronger magics. Wiki source.

1. Lawful Evil, matches Xykon's and Red Cloak's alignment.

2. It's a cat (all cats in the comic have yellow eyes).

3. Possessed of much stronger magics than usual.

4. From the Outer Planes (or whatever they're called).

What's really different about this one is that it's a baby, or at least a young juvenile, so there's some weird stuff, like it doesn't exactly know how to control its powers. It's also still in its formative years, so that's one reason that O'Chul is able to have such a strong effect on it world view.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Strangely, of that list I find the point about all cats in the comic having yellow eyes the most compelling!

Noliar

Validated User
Did the last vampire re-materialise right in front of Loki's priestess? Just as Loki was telling Hel it's over? Oh yes.

Is Loki about to be insufferably smug? Is the smug going to get him into trouble? Well, this is Loki we're talking about...

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Little details like ‘it doesn’t have eyes to turn into Xs’ are so good.

And no she doesn’t have good instincts on pulling the plug. That’s why she’s so Undead-Happy.

Did the last vampire re-materialise right in front of Loki's priestess? Just as Loki was telling Hel it's over? Oh yes.

Is Loki about to be insufferably smug? Is the smug going to get him into trouble? Well, this is Loki we're talking about...
My guess for the course of events: Vampire sees Kudzu, Vampire thinks ‘hey, snack!’, Vampire gets killed in ways it can’t even imagine by Hilgya.

Strangely, of that list I find the point about all cats in the comic having yellow eyes the most compelling!
Ditto.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Or vampire has enough basic good sense to just keep running.
I'm rather partial to the idea that they get away, but for the remainder of the series, this vamp has like THE WORST luck, and finds themselves in every battle the Order has to fight from here on out

Lizard

Global Village Grouch
Validated User
I'm rather partial to the idea that they get away, but for the remainder of the series, this vamp has like THE WORST luck, and finds themselves in every battle the Order has to fight from here on out
And attacked by flumphs.

Top Bottom