• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Gogmagog

Validated User
NOotS!

Worm is dealt with, but the vampire that misted out is still running around.
Ya know, thinking back on how many monuments there are of failed worlds that the gods have set up, I reckon Hel has been failing at whatever she wants to do for that long or even longer. Doomed from the start regardless. I reckon that is she tried doing things Hollowfaust style(Sword and Sorcery LN necromancer city) Thor would still be going LOLZ! Undead are evil! *Makes volcano explode*

Shade the Lost

Validated User
I don't know how much effort we should go to to make Hel into a misunderstood and persecuted underdog. Sometimes it's alright to let evil just be, you know, evil. I'd be more inclined to say that she very much could have opted to be like Kelemvor and making death more of a necessary end to all things, but it simply isn't in her personality to be anything other than as she is. That's sort of a running theme in the comic, that the villains could have stopped being villains if they'd chosen to, but (however they justify it to themselves) they in the end keep choosing to do more and more awful things.

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
You know if she made a pleasant afterlife people would be dying to get in. Pun intended but she like Evil in general seems to go with making things nasty so of course people try to avoid going to her domain.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
You know if she made a pleasant afterlife people would be dying to get in. Pun intended but she like Evil in general seems to go with making things nasty so of course people try to avoid going to her domain.
Well if she made a pleasant afterlife she wouldn't get to torment people, and then what would be the POINT? :p

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
This is the third time that particular vampire has had to mist away from a fight with the Order in a single day; she was one of the handful of survivors of the first big vampire attack, and one of the only survivors (possibly the only survivor?) of the fight where Durkon died.
Only survivor from Team Hel. And if you want to nitpick, she also remembers how her host lost the fight and got vamped outside the Thor Temple.
My guess for the course of events: Vampire sees Kudzu, Vampire thinks ‘hey, snack!’, Vampire gets killed in ways it can’t even imagine by Hilgya.
Kudzu is being watched over by Roggo and the beer guy in the Thor Temple. You know, the one with the big glowy runes of protection and a magically locked door.

And Curly is likely nowhere near Hilgya. She just passed her as she fled.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Well if she made a pleasant afterlife she wouldn't get to torment people, and then what would be the POINT? :p
Someone has to get the real nasty pieces of work? I mean if there is Fantasy Nazi world then where do those guys go?

"Get them out of here! They totally got my ethos wrong and HORNS ARE NOT PRACTICAL BATTLE EQUIPMENT!"

Shay Guy

Validated User
Someone has to get the real nasty pieces of work? I mean if there is Fantasy Nazi world then where do those guys go?

"Get them out of here! They totally got my ethos wrong and HORNS ARE NOT PRACTICAL BATTLE EQUIPMENT!"
Did you mean to reply to both my post and DarkStarling's? I think two parts of your post might've gotten accordioned together.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
I don't know how much effort we should go to to make Hel into a misunderstood and persecuted underdog. Sometimes it's alright to let evil just be, you know, evil. I'd be more inclined to say that she very much could have opted to be like Kelemvor and making death more of a necessary end to all things, but it simply isn't in her personality to be anything other than as she is. That's sort of a running theme in the comic, that the villains could have stopped being villains if they'd chosen to, but (however they justify it to themselves) they in the end keep choosing to do more and more awful things.
Oh no, we aren't pitying her. We're making her Basil Fawlty.

The one thing more certain than her terrible luck is that it is a byproduct of karma for irritating the nature of existence by sheer force of being a spectacularly horrible person.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Oh no, we aren't pitying her. We're making her Basil Fawlty.

The one thing more certain than her terrible luck is that it is a byproduct of karma for irritating the nature of existence by sheer force of being a spectacularly horrible person.
Well i'm having difficulty making this clear. It is sort of like that someone gets shoved into the crappy job because someone has to get shoved into there. Kind of like Torak from Belgariad had to deal with being 'The Mistake' and fated to get a sword in the face. Why? Because fate said so, no you can't opt out. No you can't become an honorable warrior god because we already have one, so grab your ankles and think of Polgara.
So Hel gets the 'dishonorable dead' role and a sucky job makes her more of a horrible person through the eons which gets aggravated because the other gods keep jerking her around and denying her worshippers and yes it is her fault, son of a bitch loki stop knocking over my sand castle by 'accident.'

Top Bottom