• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Order of the stick 21: Who Died and Made You Boss?

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Honestly I wonder if Loki isn't just going to give Hel his share of souls when the world ends to try and smooth things over.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
You are (dis)missing a rather central piece of information that came up in the latest strip: Loki is genuinely hurt by Hel's words. He done fucked up by her and she isn't inclined to let him make amends.

I really don't think Loki is going to go on an hilarious, humilation-filled revenge quest against Hela.
Oh, no, I just mean that if Hela was planning to try to end Loki by denying him worshippers, telling him exactly how she plans to do so is not the best of plans. I agree he probably feels bad, but Loki's a survivor, too, I don't see him sacrificing his own existence for her sake.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Which as we now know is correct. We were a bunch of dust floating in the void, we coalesced into a life-bearing planet, but eventually the sun will go nova and blast us back into a bunch of dust floating in the void.
I don't agree.
Indeed.

Assuming that Blizzardborn is referring to a supernova (a nova is a separate astronomical phenomenon that isn't really associated with stars dying), our sun is way too small for that.

It will most likely just swell up a bit (although I do think the Earth is supposed to be close enough to be caught in the radius of its red giant) and then quietly fade away.

That's in several billion years, mind. One way or another, the chances of the planet still being inhabited by humans then is tremendously small.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
I really don't think Loki is going to go on an hilarious, humilation-filled revenge quest against Hela.
Neither is he going to just roll over and die for her.
Also the other gods are goin to know about it, and I doubt very much they're going to just let her kill one of them.
Nor is it plausible that they have no laws against what she just threatened to do.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
It will most likely just swell up a bit (although I do think the Earth is supposed to be close enough to be caught in the radius of its red giant) and then quietly fade away.
The red giant sun is predicted to reach Earth's current orbit, but!, the Earth may gain some orbital energy from the expanding sun and actually expand it's orbit in the process, escaping direct engulfment

All life will still be scoured from the planet though, actually the sun's gradually increasing temperature output will probably evaporate the oceans in about a billions years time, most life will cease then.

Personally though I consider Ragnarok to be a better match for heat death than specifically the destruction of Earth, interestingly Hinduism has similar concepts in it (albeit for very different reasons), so I wonder if it was universal to Indo-European belief.

vegetalss4

Validated User
Even if we ignore the idea that they are a Christian addition, it's not as though the basic facts of the matter change. There will still be the Jotunn who have all the stuff and the surviving Aesir and humans who need it.

I don't see how this doesn't end in more violence.
None of the versions I have read, involve any jotunns surviving at all, much less them getting to have all the stuff.
It's just some animals a handful of gods and 2 humans.

Top Bottom