• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Today's Questionable Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
After all the love QC has gotten around here lately, it's only fair that it gets it's own Today's Blah Blah Blah thread. Especially since the Weekend Cliff Hangers thread has largely turned into one.

http://questionablecontent.net/

But anyway, New QC!

"So much for the afterglow"

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
Sven's come around. I wasn't huge on him at first, but I really don't understand all the Sven Hatred online, same as I don't get all the Hanners Is Sooo Hawt people.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sven's come around. I wasn't huge on him at first, but I really don't understand all the Sven Hatred online [...]
A lot of highly vocal folks buy into the notion that the male libido is inherently evil. If you squint, you can sort of see Sven's early portrayal as playing to this notion.

Jeffwik

dilettante
Validated User
Sven's come around. I wasn't huge on him at first, but I really don't understand all the Sven Hatred online, same as I don't get all the Hanners Is Sooo Hawt people.
I wouldn't say Hanners is hot, but I would say that any scene is better with her in it, because she's consistently funny and engaging, moreso than any other character in the strip. In fact I would say that she's taken over the breakout-comedy-character position from Pintsize, who was pretty clearly originally intended to be the comic relief.

There's a Simpsons DVD commentary track, I think it's the episode where Skinner gets fired and Flanders becomes prinicpal? Where the writers explain that Homer is their secret weapon in non-Homer-centric episodes; if there's a weak point in the story structure you just toss in a little Homer and it becomes comedy gold.

JohanKoch

Intrepid Boy Reporter
A lot of highly vocal folks buy into the notion that the male libido is inherently evil. If you squint, you can sort of see Sven's early portrayal as playing to this notion.
That's...more than a little unfair. As someone who did not like Sven at first (but has come around to him, at least partly), there is more than a little bit of the sleazy "player" aspect to his personality. Not liking that kind of misogynistic behaviour doesn't make you into someone who is offended by male sexuality (!). That's a pretty incredible generalization.

Certainly, Dora has shown a highly negative opinion of his "man-slut" traits. Are we not supposed to trust her? Is her opinion on her brother's sexual history worthless? Is the fact that she would be very angry over his hook-up with Faye (his words) not very telling? We've met one of his other ex-girlfriends as well, and she was extremely angry with him over his behaviour - rightly or wrongly.

Sure, his sleaziness been played down recently, and I have no problem with the way he and Faye hooked up. But saying "not liking Sven = fear of male sexuality"? WTF?

JohanKoch

Intrepid Boy Reporter
I was referring to the aforementioned contingent of extremely vocal, "OMG TEH EVUL!"-style Sven-haters, not to everyone who dislike Sven in general.
Well...okay then.

I have not seen a huge mob of Sven haters around here, but I have not been on the QC forum for a while so I was not aware of the phenomenon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom