• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Tonight: Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker...

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seeing these shows is a reminder of how the baseline of tolerance of interracial marriages (like my son and daughter-in-law) has changed in society, but that there are still plenty of people whose views (“She’s one of the ‘good ones’, I think” as one of my relatives said) haven’t changed all that much.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
God! This was so good and so much fun. Beyond the cultural and political relevance of these two shows in particular, I’d actually really like to see, every year or so, a live recreation of old sitcoms. Could you imagine who they’d get to do The Golden Girls, or Newhart?
Hmm, John Hodgman as Bob Newhart, maybe?

The Golden Girls is obvious: Jean Smart as Dorothy, Annie Potts as Rose, and Delta Burke as Blanche.

Betty White could play her old role!
...and Betty White as Sophia.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
Seeing these shows is a reminder of how the baseline of tolerance of interracial marriages (like my son and daughter-in-law) has changed in society, but that there are still plenty of people whose views (“She’s one of the ‘good ones’, I think” as one of my relatives said) haven’t changed all that much.
Was it set in period?

I'm hoping it becomes available on Hulu, because I was curious about it.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was it set in period?

I'm hoping it becomes available on Hulu, because I was curious about it.
Yes, it was 2 actual episode scripts, set in the original time period. There were some words that they bleeped out, but the actors still did the lines.

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
Yes, it was 2 actual episode scripts, set in the original time period. There were some words that they bleeped out, but the actors still did the lines.
Huh. It took me a moment to think through what you could say on national TV in the 60s/70s you couldn't today.

Top Bottom