• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Top 10 most annoying DRM

Joey McGuffin

Disciple of Mazdak
Spore definately

It's a single player game but it has to connect to their servers and do some sort of validation check every 14 days so if you don't have an internet connection you are out of luck. It's not that I'll ever not have an internet connection but it's just a matter of principal.
Are you positive about this?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I refuse to believe it was due to piracy, because that was prohibitively hard back in the day.
I think they were frothing-at-the-mouth, pants crappy angry at unlicensed stuff running on their machines. And, according to Wikipedia, the GG could cause physical damage to the NES.

Cthulhucollector

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can't remember the name of the game but I think it was called Drakken. The copy protection was the kind where you had to look up something on a sheet that came with the program. The trick was that the page flat black and the text was glossy black. It was damn near impossible to read and completely impossible to photocopy. It wasnt my game but the guy that owned it went to the trouble of typing up the whole sheet so he could read it without trouble, and it also defeated the copy protection.

Madcat

motorbikin'
Validated User
I had copies of a few code-wheeled games back in the day - used to dismantle the wheel, photocopy it, cut the holes out then use paper fasteners to put them back together.

Joey McGuffin

Disciple of Mazdak
After doing a little digging I discovered that was their original intention for the DRM. Now it's as follows.

"We'll re-authenticate when a player uses online features, downloads new content or a patch for their game. "
Yeah, that's my experience. And frankly, that's sensible. You have an account, and it uses that account for the online features, you can only have one account per game, so unless you own the game=no online features.

I'm not absolutely sure why they stuck SecuROM on top of that, but it's probably just EA company policy right now.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wish devolopers using SecuROM were more consistent in its implementation. Sven (?) at Capcom Unity said that developers can implement the tech in different ways. So far the two SecuROM games I know I've got (DMC4 and Bionic Commando: Rearmed) have been great and trouble free, so whatever Capcom is doing is pretty decent. Hell, DMC4 didn't even require a registration key or anything! That was a happy surprise, and having to keep a disc in the PC, console-style, is a lot less odius in that light. Still a hassle, I agree, but not that bad.
On the other hand I can't play KotOR, becuse my antivirus and firewall recognise SecuROM as a Trojan, and block it's access.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
What are you using? I've got Kaspersky which fussed at first (damn that thing is tempermental) but I made them into exceptions. When my kaspersky subscription lapses, I might go back to AVG... of course, AVG thought the anti-cheat stuff in Exteel was a virus/trojan/something... @_@

CodexArcanum

Ancestral Sigil of Play
What are you using? I've got Kaspersky which fussed at first (damn that thing is tempermental) but I made them into exceptions. When my kaspersky subscription lapses, I might go back to AVG... of course, AVG thought the anti-cheat stuff in Exteel was a virus/trojan/something... @_@
Kind of off topic, but how do you like Kaspersky? I heard it was the best. I'd use AVG, but no 64-bit version, so I've been on Avast.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
DRM affects your system, and anti-virus software is part of said system. Not off topic at all when you think about it.

I've got pretty good internet hygeine, don't do high-risk stuff, use alternative browsers (Firefox), etc., so honestly? Hard to say. Right now I'm running mostly on default settings.

• I turned down (but not off) the proactive protection - its well intentioned but can be very annoying. Clicking a link (say, from Impulse to go to the website) will cause K to ask me if I want to allow that. I don't have the whole exceptions ("Trusted Zones") thing down yet, so maybe I'm not training it well enough. Likewise, when installing a program that has to make changes to the registry it complains. Until its trained otherwise, it will warn you than a game you started might be a keylogger. Its smart yet dumb that way.

• It ads a significant amount of time to my boot-up. My normal routine is to turn on the computer and do something else for a few minutes. Now, what its doing is great - its checking all my startup stuff, stuff in memory, etc., but its still a pain for me. Its not as bad as Suitecase on my Mac at work (which adds maybe 5 minutes to my startup AND shutdown, plus requires manual shutdown of all programs then Suitecase otherwise the shutdown is canceled due to application timeout).

Kapersky keeps getting big thumbs up everytime I read about it, especially for protection. And I've got it behaving a lot better than before. TONS better. But at the same time, I don't wonder if its not overkill for me. When I get a full grasp on how to handle everything, I'm sure it'll be great, though (booting aside). Can I recommend it over AVG? Depends who for, what they need it for and why.

Top Bottom