• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Top Secret: New World Order - On its Own Merits Is It Servicable & Fun?

Man From UK

Industry Insider
Validated User
On its own merits, is the game fun & serviceable? (I know there were some poor reactions from Kickstarter backers over issues with the pdf).

Also, is there any errata or extras I should be aware of the adds to the game?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

tomas

Validated User
That's a good question. As I have said before, my first read through the book left me the impression that there is a functional game engine beneath the horrible text and layout. I haven't had the time, or desire, to sit down and do a thorough read to see if that impression is accurate. I have read in some forum or another that people who have played it at a convention enjoyed it, but the game was being run either by Merle or a member of the company which means it was somebody intimately familiar with the game engine.

Francis Helie

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Snarky answer would be no.

The basic mechanic (the roll 13 engine) is ok, but everything else around is terrible. Without doubt one of my biggest disappointment in years. You would be better off playing Top Secret SI or the original. Without deep rewrites, tweaks and adjustments the NWO system is just plain horrible.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I haven’t played it, but I bounced off it hard. If I recall, one of my big peeves was the fact that the difficulty of a task affected the dice rolled as well as potentially modifying the target number. To me, that was the worst of both worlds. Either the target number is static, and the dice pool is modified, or the target number changes and the dice rolled are unaffected by difficulty.

It’s very possible I misunderstood how that was supposed to work. At least I keep thinking that had to be the case. But I haven’t been able to bring myself to try to go through it again.

SibKhatru

Validated User
Bounced hard. We prefer 1e and SI. But I will say after going back to first edition, I for some weird reason had a tough time understanding how encounters happen. I mean we couldn’t find the ‘system mechanics’ in 1e. Weird. It was about a decade in the shelf. SI just works so well.

SibKhatru

Validated User
I know, sorry! There’s something about first edition that our group is having trouble with, and I don’t know how to put it into words. I think about it and I’ll repost.

tomas

Validated User
Does anybody know where I can find the errata sheet that supposedly developed? And I saw on kickstarter that there are projects in the work for TSNWO?

Man From UK

Industry Insider
Validated User
Does anybody know where I can find the errata sheet that supposedly developed? And I saw on kickstarter that there are projects in the work for TSNWO?
Yes, here it is: https://goo.gl/4bzVUG

also:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Top Bottom