• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Top Secret: New World Order - On its Own Merits Is It Servicable & Fun?

tomas

Validated User
Two pages? That's all they have for errata? Given the hot mess of the rulebook I would have expected/hoped for more than that.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
This had dropped off my radar for some reason I now forget. But after reading these comments, I'm glad I haven't put money into it. I enjoy and love the James Bond style of game but very rarely has it been pulled off correctly.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Two pages? That's all they have for errata? Given the hot mess of the rulebook I would have expected/hoped for more than that.
You can't rewrite a rulebook via errata. That way lies madness.

Man From UK

Industry Insider
Validated User
The rules seem robust IMO, but the artwork is lackluster. I hope I'm not being unnecessarily unkind when I say that with $100K raised in the Kickstarter they should have hired a pro layout designer and artist. The whole book looks very early 90's.

Overall, I think the game is very playable and the core mechanic is fresh and interesting but the layout and design is uninspiring, bland to poor in places and the errata side is sloppy. I'd call it 'bare bones'.

I bought the 3rd-party Operation Arctic Blast and this book is how the corebook should have looked. It's a shame since with the errata and design improved to a better modern standard this would be quite tasty. I hope the game gets more love and support.

I'm surprised silencers aren't covered. I'd guess they'd work by stepping down accuracy and damage dice by 1 each? Thoughts?
Seduction is also missing (a staple of espionage sagas) but I guess that's part of the Interrogation specialized skill and Persuasion/Rapport proficiency, with stepping up/down for relative advantages etc. Also missing is a weakness for women/men, which would be a common exploit as a honey-trap and blackmail for agents. The James Bond RPG covered this with aplomb.

EDIT: I've added strike-throughs to some of the text above after thoroughly reading the game pdf. There are some issues raised about consistency and the game breaking in certain areas which are covered in some of the reviews on Drivethru: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=238053

Last edited:

Majestic

The Truth is Out There
Validated User
I've played Top Secret NWO twice with the game's creators at Gary Con, and it was solid and fun. But the negative reaction since is a big part of why I've never run it (or Operation Arctic Blast) since my copy arrived.

Man From UK

Industry Insider
Validated User
I've amended one of my posts and added strike-throughs to some of the text after thoroughly reading the game pdf.

There are some issues raised about consistency and the game breaking in certain areas which are covered in some of the reviews on Drivethru: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=238053

The game certainly needs to be patched. and full rules clarifications and errata posted. Since there appears to be products in the making and active support, I hope this to be remedied.

-more guidance
-examples of rules working
-rules clarified
-missing tables added

Here's just one point made from a review on Drivethru where the game rules break:

No guidelines are given for how to rate the gear that you are using: nothing about what separates a d4 parachute from a d8 parachute, or if there is a difference, or how to adjudicate permitting or denying either of them.

If you don't have any gear, the text has an answer: assign a die to the player to represent the difficulty of the task at hand, with the option to give them no die at all. This raises its own wrinkles, though. Say the character got a D4 safe cracking kit from Q but then misplaced it; the GM is of the opinion the safe is fairly simple and hands over a d8 for the roll. Suddenly that safe cracking kit is irrelevant... what you rather use the kit, and try to beat a 13 with two dice + a d4? Or just put your ear up to the safe and try to beat a 13 with two dice + a d8? The text has nothing to say on this obvious question.

tomas

Validated User
I've amended one of my posts and added strike-throughs to some of the text after thoroughly reading the game pdf.
I have to admit that your post (prior to the strikethroughs) raised an eyebrow.

I still maintain that based on the anecdotal evidence even in this thread (successful con game) that there is a playable system under the hot mess that is the rulebook. The first edition rulebook (my preferred edition and my very first purchase ever at a convention) wasn't the best written thing out there and my group argued some of the mechanics until we settled into house rules. But TSNWO is a whole 'nother beast; the sad fact is that if the company had swallowed their pride and given backers the pdf early in the process the issues would have been identified and rectified. And we would have a better game.

Man From UK

Industry Insider
Validated User
I have to admit that your post (prior to the strikethroughs) raised an eyebrow.

I still maintain that based on the anecdotal evidence even in this thread (successful con game) that there is a playable system under the hot mess that is the rulebook. The first edition rulebook (my preferred edition and my very first purchase ever at a convention) wasn't the best written thing out there and my group argued some of the mechanics until we settled into house rules. But TSNWO is a whole 'nother beast; the sad fact is that if the company had swallowed their pride and given backers the pdf early in the process the issues would have been identified and rectified. And we would have a better game.
I completely agree. It is a very great pity that even at this point the PDF hasn't even been amended.

tomas

Validated User
I completely agree. It is a very great pity that even at this point the PDF hasn't even been amended.
Given the company's complete lack of responses to people still trying to get the stuff they paid for, I would assume they have ceased to care and are moving forward as if there is no issue. It's their right, but it won't be building much good faith.

Top Bottom