• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Total Extreme Wrestling 2016

Tipsy

Validated User
I've been playing a bit as WINNOW. "But Snarf! That's a company that isn't even founded yet! How can you play as them?" Easy. Watcher game with anybody unemployed, then when the company starts up, add player and insert them as booker.

Anyway, it's been a struggle. They start off very small, and only begin with $100k. I switched to Touring, changed the Modern Japan Movement to a profit sharing outfit, and even kicked in an extra $150k, but it's hard.

I've been hoping to do the same thing with CWWF, but it seems when I try it, some other company starts. I've seen L-Ring twice, Mexican Hardcore Wrestling twice, and one or two other companies.
Sounds frustratingly fun

Tipsy

Validated User
Two questions for the TEW hivemind:

1) How long do you generally run your games before you abandon them, since there isn't a 'win' condition (both in game time and in real life)?

2) Is there any disadvantage of adding new promotions into an alliance? I've been toying with seeing if I could add European and Japanese promotions into the Confederation of the Territories to get access to their workers. Could this piss off other members of the alliance? Is there any downside?

King Snarf

Validated User

1) How long do you generally run your games before you abandon them, since there isn't a 'win' condition (both in game time and in real life)?

2) Is there any disadvantage of adding new promotions into an alliance? I've been toying with seeing if I could add European and Japanese promotions into the Confederation of the Territories to get access to their workers. Could this piss off other members of the alliance? Is there any downside?
Generally, when I invite a company into an alliance, it's not so much for my benefit as theirs. Protect them in Regional Battles, and use the talent trading feature to float them money if they need it.

Before you try to invite Japanese or European companies, first, you'll have to edit COTT as they're not set up for members from those areas. Second, some owners (but not many) are not interested in joining alliances.

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User

Depends what I'm trying to do. When I'm working with a top-tier company I will usually play until I've got a clear idea of a cool moment that's also a coming of age point for the avatar's time as a booker (so, for example, my old TCW diary game ended with a double-header weekend at one of their biggest shows of the year, with the main events being Matthew Keith vs. Greg Keith and Tommy Cornell vs. Wolf Hawkins for the title, which also featured the downfall of a major heel stable and the emergence of new threats as part of the event) and then I'll play to that.

With smaller companies I usually aim for National, though I'll sometimes stop before they get there if it's clear I've stalled out.

I tried the Heidenreich Challenge a couple of times but I don't have the patience for that.

King Snarf

Validated User
I tried the Heidenreich Challenge a couple of times but I don't have the patience for that.
... Do I want to even ask what the Heidenreich Challenge is? Because when I see "Heidenreich Challenge" my first thought is, "Do I have to watch that segment with Michael Cole again? Because sitting through that without getting ill would DEFINITELY be a challenge."

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
... Do I want to even ask what the Heidenreich Challenge is? Because when I see "Heidenreich Challenge" my first thought is, "Do I have to watch that segment with Michael Cole again? Because sitting through that without getting ill would DEFINITELY be a challenge."
It originated back in TEW2005 fandom. Basically, you generate a rookie with scores of sub-10 in everything in-ring related except Consistency, which is permitted to start reasonably high so he's not just wildly unpredictable. He gets strong Menace and a high Star Quality, as looks are factored into both of those, and you can give him good physical stats (which most do) and good mic skills (which most don't). You give him a long written contract with whichever company you're going to be playing.

The challenge is to build him legitimately from a zero-overness rookie to someone who can main event your International-level promotion's top show of the year and who has the overness and stats to deliver a 1v1 main event which is no weaker than the semi-main, in a show which doesn't hurt your overness anywhere. (So the show has to be great, and you can't load out the rest of it so you can afford to take a hit on the main event.)

EDIT: Oh, and 'legitimately' here means 'without throwing him in Dev'.

Last edited:

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User

Longest I've run a legitimate game where I was personally booking each show was about three years, I think? Finished a bunch of storylines in the last and biggest show of the year, and never could get the inspiration to keep going.

On average I'd say I usually play a bout a year, year and a half. Starting with a Local fed, I might push close to three years because that first year features very few shows. These days I tend to start with a Cult fed because losing PPA workers to companies that can offer a Written isn't a fun part of the challenge anymore for me. :)

Basically, I play until I get bored or lose the inspiration. Doesn't help that I keep a pretty detailed spreadsheet and notes, and often start the game with the idea of posting a WIP thread, and the record-keeping starts to fee onerous.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to your second question, since I never join or bother with alliances.

King Snarf

Validated User
On average I'd say I usually play a bout a year, year and a half. Starting with a Local fed, I might push close to three years because that first year features very few shows. These days I tend to start with a Cult fed because losing PPA workers to companies that can offer a Written isn't a fun part of the challenge anymore for me. :)
The solution to that is to play in an area where the are either no companies that are Cult or higher (like Europe) or areas where the big companies won't steal your talent as often; for instance, 5SSW is far less likely to suffer the talent raids that AAA or QAW are subject to. I mean, USPW or NOTBPW might try to steal Higa, but hey, let THEM deal with her attitude!

Top Bottom