Total War: Warhammer 2

Grantanz

Validated User
There's a Sega weekend on Steam, and TWWH1 and 2 are discounted, along with the DLCs. I picked up 2 a while back but haven't really fired it up, and I've had the DLCs wishlisted for a while. Are any of them must-haves? They all _look_ awesome :)

Creticus

Validated User
Both Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast are considered to be pretty good, though which one is better depends on the player's personal preferences. In short, Tomb Kings are reliant on skeletons for the first part, but once they have their infrastructure up, they can field a lot of fun monsters with no need to care about the cost because Tomb Kings get upkeep-free units. In contrast, Vampire Coast is all about the guns. Sure, they have a number of strong melee choices such as syreens, vampires, and big rotting crabs, but speaking personally, I prefer putting zombie gunners mounted on those big rotting crabs in the frontline while stuffing the backline with mortars as well as more zombie gunners. Vampire Coast mortars are particularly useful because it's possible to get access to them in less than 10 turns in campaign mode.

Otherwise, if you're interested in either the High Elves or the Dark Elves, get the Queen and the Crone to fill out their ranks. In contrast, if you're interested in either the Lizardmen or the Skaven, there's a similar DLC that's coming up at some point in the not too distant future, though an exact release date hasn't been announced at this point in time.

If you ever want to play on a combined map with the full list of factions from both the first game and the second game, you're going to need to pick up the first game as well. If you already have it, I think Norsca is probably the DLC that offers the best value, particularly if you like an aggressive playstyle with a strong focus on getting stuck in with melee units. I mean, it might not be 100 percent fair to say that Norscans are hell vikings, but Norscans are basically hell vikings.

Killer300

Validated User
Yeah, I picked up the Queen and the Crone, having a blast so far with Hellabron's campaign(even if the early bit was a bit hard).

I'd highly recommend the Vampire Coast, as both their army and campaign are quite fun. Can't comment on the Tomb Kings, but, I'm sure they're fun too.

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
Tomb Kings are interesting because 'skeleton warriors' is their word for an empty slot in an army. From really very early they operate armies in pairs, and their lower tier units are throwaway chaff. Then they transition to a style that's heavier on specials - a tarpit infantry line and heavies to exploit that. They also have pretty excellent catapults.

If you like chariots, they have chariots in spades. I can't get chariots working right though.

Also they have a system where certain heroes give you more units when levelled up - basically you want to powerlevel and coddle your Necrotect heroes.

Meanwhile their settlements cost money but don't give much money, while their units are free. You expand settlements out of winning battles or looting enemies, basically. Also, all the options on battle win are worthwhile.

I find the most interesting start to be the serpent princess.

Killer300

Validated User
Interesting.

Although wouldn't the Skeletons also be holding units for the troops that can actually do damage? I understand the Vampire Counts online use stuff like zombies to just get in the way, and hold a bunch of enemies in place while they use other troops, such as high quality cavalry, to kill them.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Meanwhile their settlements cost money but don't give much money, while their units are free. You expand settlements out of winning battles or looting enemies, basically. Also, all the options on battle win are worthwhile.
This alone makes them pretty interesting. You are not limited by how much Money you have, but by how many armies you have at any time and how long you can stand to wait for them to recruit. Some of the high tier units have really long build times.

Interesting.

Although wouldn't the Skeletons also be holding units for the troops that can actually do damage? I understand the Vampire Counts online use stuff like zombies to just get in the way, and hold a bunch of enemies in place while they use other troops, such as high quality cavalry, to kill them.
Its more the fact that normal Skeleton Warriors build fast and are unlimited, whereas all other unit has a max amount of them that you can have at once in your entire empire (increased by building military buildings). Even Skeletons with Spears are limited, but not the basic skellies. So any empty slot in the army roster is a Skeleton Warrior. So even early you run around with large armies, but fairly low quality ones.
But yes, skellies are absolutely holding units as well as something to stack on top of your better units to disperse the enemy hits.

(Disclaimer: based on a Settra campaign)

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
Interesting.

I mean, yes, but basically what you're trying to do 100% of the time with high Ld / unbreakable infantry is to hold the target down while your damage dealing units punch it repeatedly. Even if that infantry is, idk, Ironbreakers and will happily eat enemy elites for breakfast, you still want to use it to hold the enemy still while another unit takes a chainsaw to its back.

Killer300

Validated User
Ah, fair points, and okay, that matches up with I understand of the other Undead factions, which even they all have very different over all strategies to each other, do seem unified by their usage of holding units.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
So, uh, do you think they'll ever fix the confederation mechanic so that it's actually possible to use in a timely and reliable manner, or are we likely (even in the third game) to be stuck resorting to various flavors of mod in order to obtain things like legendary lords from other factions? Needing to go to war with people to obtain their lands when we all should be working together and I've got a massive power and relations advantage is just frustrating.

Top Bottom