• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Trailer] Ready Or Not: New bride has to escape incompetent old-money cult

Drogo

Unrepentant Gamer
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It might be that there are twenty cards in the deck... and the other nineteen have already been used. So, get this one out of the way and then shuffle & start over.

Edit: if this is really a cult obligation, then rigging the game as suggested above is tantamount to breaking the contract.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
It might be that there are twenty cards in the deck... and the other nineteen have already been used. So, get this one out of the way and then shuffle & start over.

Edit: if this is really a cult obligation, then rigging the game as suggested above is tantamount to breaking the contract.
Depends if there are loopholes. Or if it’s not actually supernaturally enforced and they’re just nutters.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
So, I saw it. Regarding the "rules" of the game:
Spoiler: Show
Upon marrying a family member, the new spouse must place a blank card into a box once owned by the family's patron, Mr. LeBail. They then take out a card printed with one of many games. We're meant to think there's a deck of cards hidden in the box, but that's not revealed to be certain. The family believes that if the spouse doesn't draw a card, both members of the new couple will die. If the spouse draws Hide and Seek (and apparently only Hide and Seek) and the new Spouse isn't then hunted down and ritually sacrificed by dawn, the entire family will die. Other games don't demand a sacrifice to Mr. LeBail (get it?), and there hasn't been a Hide and Seek in thirty years.

One of the sources of tension in the movie is how the various family members buy into the whole Mr. LeBail thing at different levels. Nobody's ever seen him, and while apparently people who didn't play a game have died, their deaths are spoken of more like familial legends that could just be coincidental. This isn't a pact anyone living willingly entered into, and they aren't doing it to further their wealth, but to save themselves and their children. Which makes them somewhat more sympathetic.

Overall I liked it. It's funny and tense and the action and blood is pretty good. I don't think they quite nailed the dramatic beats, as they didn't have enough room to breath what with all the hiding in the mansion and jokes about coked-up Satanists who don't know how to use a crossbow.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Overall, a pretty solid movie. The dark humor landed pretty well, they managed to make all the different family members distinct and interesting even though most of them got about ninety seconds of spotlight time, and there were cathartic near-Kill Bill levels of gore. My one complaint:

I don't think they quite nailed the dramatic beats, as they didn't have enough room to breath what with all the hiding in the mansion and jokes about coked-up Satanists who don't know how to use a crossbow.
Spoilers from here on.
Yeah, what Menocchio said. Toward the end, Grace gets captured... like, three times in a row, practically back to back, and they set up to sacrifice her twice. Hitting the same beat three times in a row made it not really work well for me, and both sacrifice scenes are resolved so quickly that I almost struggled to understand what had happened. The first one, especially, was kind of weird. Everyone spends about four seconds puking blood, coming in with no foreshadowing and leaving so quickly that it doesn't feel like it carries the appropriate narrative weight, and then they all recover in a matter of seconds.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Apparently the ending was rewritten, which might explain some of why what happened how it happened.

Also, saw it and mostly enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as comedic as I expected - it seemed to lean into the gore more - but still darkly humorous throughout.

I suppose my one complaint would be that the movie ensured every major part of the ensemble who died at the end either deserved it or went out heroically (really only Daniel). I feel that either Daniel needed to live or the husband needed to stay "decent"...and then we see what happens with the bargain. Which I assume would still be death. Even the kids wound up being total shits. I think my favorite part of the movie was when she socked that little fucker in the face, mostly because that was my visceral response to seeing him shoot her hand, and feeling, briefly, that the movie might not do it...then it did.

I also get the feeling that the Hide and Seek card only shows up when one of two factors is going on:
1) The new family member won't go along with the evil, Satan bullshit, or
2) To test the resolve and either sufficiently harden or necessitate the murder of "soft" family members

Shitty, amoral spouses get Old Maid. Decent people with a spine get hunted and sacrificed.

Balac

Validated User
Apparently the ending was rewritten, which might explain some of why what happened how it happened.
Any idea what the original ending was? I rather enjoyed the film though agree the conclusion wasn't the strongest. Would still recommend though.

shockvalue

The Puncher Strikes!
Validated User
Liked it, but think they missed a lot more opportunities for skewering the rich (pun intended) and their incompetence.

Like, they should have depended on the butler and maids more, and then after accidentally killing them, been completely lost on knowing where anything was or how it worked. "Where are the bullets?!?" "I don't know! Janice always brought them!" "Then maybe you shouldn't have SHOT HER!" "Stop telling at me!"

One of them should have been constantly posting pics on a rich-person-only Instagram. (Ritztagram?)

Top Bottom