Transhuman Space?

N

NPC Outline

Thank you Tzeentch for the setting info. Sounds like a very interesting place to visit :) . I guess I'll just have to see for myself when the book arrives at my LGS.

Jurgen:
What do you mean by the "range" of skills? Do you mean having the same skills as GURPS, like say computer use? That wouldn't be too hard, but assigning a starting % for skills like biotech is more problematic. How do I know what would be appropriate for startinf %s? I mean I assume computer use would have a much higher starting % in TS than in modern CoC.

As for EDU, what do you think would be a good "average" EDU in TS...24? Then to scale higher EDU, I could just let players roll say 6d6 or 4d6+12 or something similar for EDU.

Also, would you suggest raising the upper limit (21?) for stats like STR and DEX due to the prevalence of genefixing? After all, as Tzeentch alluded to, parahumans are now considered the norm.

On the Silhouette side, I guess once I figure out the "default" stats for paras, b'roids, etc. I can "slide" the point costs up or down the scale.

Thanks for your suggestions. Oh, one more thing about BRP. Do you happen to know how I can use stats to give skill modifiers? Something like a high DEX would give a +n% to Acrobatics while a low DEX would give a -n%. I'm trying to figure out a good ratio for modifiers...

Outline

N

NPC Mythlander

Re: Darn kids! It's a Spacemaster rip-off!

[
It's NOT a standalone game and has never been marketed or noted as such - its a GURPS sourcebook and GURPS Basic Set and Compendium I are the two books you are assumed to own if you want to use a GURPS expansion.
Well, that’s kind of my point. Everyone who is all excited about Transhuman Space in this thread has GURPS and Companion I already? Any way you slice it you need three books to play “the game.” Even then you’re taking an admittedly great concept and tying it to a system that I think I can honestly say no one is really in love with. GURPS sourcebooks, ironically, are frequently bought by people who have no intention of using the GURPS system.

(Sorry, I hate to paint with such a large brush, but that’s my experience.)

I appreciate the info on Transhuman Space. (I really do.) I’m just not understanding the hype like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Second edition Spacemaster anyone? They’ve got twelve versions of transhumans, plus replicants, aliens, droids, and...and…and… ;)

- Mythlander

N

NPC Mythlander

kabael said:
Of course, I know jack-all about Spacemaster, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to be this rigorously realistic or ambitious.
Well then you’ve obviously not seen Spacemaster. ;)

I appreciate your other points, however. Thanks!

- Mythlander

Tzeentch

Changer of the Ways
Re: Re: Darn kids! It's a Spacemaster rip-off!

NPC Mythlander said:
Second edition Spacemaster anyone? They’ve got twelve versions of transhumans, plus replicants, aliens, droids, and...and…and… ;)
* Well if you're going by sheer numbers then Transhuman Space will totally spank Spacemaster (pun not intended). In the core book alone you can play several varieties of parahuman, bioroids, about 12 flavors of AI, cybershells, uplifted animals, necromorph bioshells, etc.

* TS doesn't really need aliens though. Humans already fill that niche ;)

* Didn't David Pulver write for the Spacemaster line? I could have sworn he did.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
NPC Outline said:
Jurgen:
What do you mean by the "range" of skills? Do you mean having the same skills as GURPS, like say computer use? That wouldn't be too hard, but assigning a starting % for skills like biotech is more problematic. How do I know what would be appropriate for startinf %s? I mean I assume computer use would have a much higher starting % in TS than in modern CoC.

As for EDU, what do you think would be a good "average" EDU in TS...24? Then to scale higher EDU, I could just let players roll say 6d6 or 4d6+12 or something similar for EDU.

Also, would you suggest raising the upper limit (21?) for stats like STR and DEX due to the prevalence of genefixing? After all, as Tzeentch alluded to, parahumans are now considered the norm.

[snip]

Thanks for your suggestions. Oh, one more thing about BRP. Do you happen to know how I can use stats to give skill modifiers? Something like a high DEX would give a +n% to Acrobatics while a low DEX would give a -n%. I'm trying to figure out a good ratio for modifiers...

Outline [/B]
- With the "range" of skills I mean that BRP characters should be able to do the same things with their skills as GURPS characters. That doesn't mean that all skills have to be identical - but if there is a skill in GURPS that allows a character to pull off some certain feat, then there should be a BRP skill that should allow the same...

- For figuring out starting skills, check the default values of the equivalent GURPS skills. If there is no default to an attribute, it is a safe bet to assign a starting BRP skill of 01% to it...

- More people in TS may use computers, but that doesn't mean that the actual "Computer Use" skill is much more common - after all, if your infomorph is nearly as smart - or smarter! - as you are, it doesn't take much skill to use it. You should probably see "Computer Use" as the TS psychology skill for computers - how to talk computers into doing what you want, instead of what they think what you want...

- Just adding something between +3 and +6 to EDU should do fine... On the other hand, you might prefer to increase the number of skill points for non-career skills - most people don't stay in any one career for long...

- Genefixing and "upgrades" don't actually improve people beyond the human norm - they just make sure that people are "above average" when seen from the POV of "nomal humans", so the upper limits for them still stand. Parahumans, on the other hand (which are common, but not yet the standard) use non-human DNA to push beyond human limitations, so simply adding attribute modifiers without worrying about upper limits makes sense...

- If you want attributes to make a difference for skills, I would recommending either basing the starting value of the skill on it, or improving the chances of increasing that skill by the attribute's value...

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom