• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Transhumanism] Has TRANSHUMAN SPACE been surpassed?

IdenticalChimp

Ape shall not kill ape.
Validated User
I know I am well behind the curve on this one, and Transhuman Space is long since out of print, but every once in a while I get the urge to grab a used copy and try it out. I'm not at all married to GURPS, regular or Lite, but I've liked the concept for quite a while. The thing is, has the state of the art moved on, in terms of setting and content? When Transhuman Space came out, it was the only transhuman game in town, but I know there have been several in the years since.

Am I better off leaving Transhuman Space in the past and trying something else, or is there still life in that ol' horse?

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nova Praxis might be worth a look as well. What kind of story are you trying to tell? Both NP and EP are set in a kind of post-apocalyptic transhumanist milieu where Earth has been destroyed.

Lord Minx

Validated User
Am I better off leaving Transhuman Space in the past and trying something else, or is there still life in that ol' horse?
it's not like there's a single way to do gaming with transhumanist themes. :)

THS has, IMO, a more down to earth feel in it's worldbuilding. I'd use it for a game where I wanted to highlight political themes, have a more ... "realistic" vibe, or focus on characters that are on the verge of going transhuman. (Also for games that are set on earth. ^^) THS does need a bit more work to come up with a campaign concept, because while it's a very well-developed setting, some people found it a bit lacking in easy/instant plot hooks for gaming.

I'd use Eclipse Phase either for horror-focused games or where a high-action-scifi-feel is wanted. The setting is decidedly post-apocalyptic and much more overtly transhumanist and over-the-top than THS, but allows for fun interstellar exploration via the gates, which I find very nice. It also comes with a couple fast hooks for gaming campaigns, with a loose default being a group of Firewall Agents protecting the setting against existential threads.

There are a couple of other games out there, both in and out of print, each with their own unique takes on gaming with transhumanist themes and trappings, but I'll leave those for someone else.

tl;dr: Different games for different play and just because it's older doesn't make it obsolete. :)

Delta_I

Validated User
Eclipse Phase is bloddy great transhuman sci-fi. It will be even more so with the official Fate port that is on the works, I gather.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Eclipse Phase, to me, is like Transhuman Space except I know what an adventure in Eclipse Phase is supposed to look like.

Nova Praxis is for when you just want to blow things up and not deal with questions about what is and isn't sentience.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like Nova Praxis, but for some people it's not quite transhumanist enough; there are certain in-world conceits that arguably make it a better game setting, but limit some of the more gonzo transhuman things you may see in other games. Eclipse Phase gets a lot of praise, but the mechanics aren't everybody's cup of tea (although they've made strides towards improving and streamlining them), and the writers have some distinct personal views (particularly with regards to corporations, governments and religion) that show through in how different factions are portrayed.

IdenticalChimp

Ape shall not kill ape.
Validated User
What kind of story are you trying to tell?
I'm not sure, honestly. Though from reading the thread so far it seems like Transhuman Space may be a bit more grounded, and thus easier for me to get my head around. Inasmuch as any transhuman setting is going to be "grounded."

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd argue Eclipse Phase is easier to get your head around, because it comes with a default campaign style, if you know what I mean.
THS is genius, no doubt about that, but it left me with a feeling of awe, a fear that I could never do it justice, and no idea how to run a campaign in it.

With EP, it's obvious. You play a group of Firewall agents who investigate potential extinction-level threats to humanity. The default campaign is investigative-horror, like if Call of Cthulhu was set in space, evil books were replaced with basilisk hacks, and instead of a 1920's gumshoe you're an uplifted octopus, but you steal wear a trilby.

Top Bottom