• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Traveller and Thieves World by Chaosium wjat could go wrong.

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've have both since the 80s but I've never run Traveller and I always wondered why Thieves World included Traveler stats.

This would be my first attempt at GMing. PbP game.

I'm thinking whoever signs up will be private business people attempting to negotiate colonization rights. Setting would be H Beam Pipers Federation universe

If this was an in person game I'd label it close to a one shot. If we're all still into it after the main goal is accomplished maybe we'll continue.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
I've have both since the 80s but I've never run Traveller and I always wondered why Thieves World included Traveler stats.

This would be my first attempt at GMing. PbP game.

I'm thinking whoever signs up will be private business people attempting to negotiate colonization rights. Setting would be H Beam Pipers Federation universe

If this was an in person game I'd label it close to a one shot. If we're all still into it after the main goal is accomplished maybe we'll continue.
Tell me more. Did Thieves World have Traveller stats, I don't remember that? Been a long time since I owned it mind.

Edit: Googled it, wow it did.

Last edited:

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
yeah I was debating between using Traveller or Adventures in Fantasy but I figured almost no one has the later.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Can you perhaps give a bit more of an explanation about what the game will entail and perhaps what Thieves' World is for those that don't know. Would it be a planet in a red zone or whatever it's called?

Which Traveller rules would you be using?

RoadScholar

Returning to sender
Validated User
Thanks WTND, for pointing this out. I'd be up for it with a little more info to go on. I've still got Thieves World somewhere...

Lockjaw

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can you perhaps give a bit more of an explanation about what the game will entail and perhaps what Thieves' World is for those that don't know. Would it be a planet in a red zone or whatever it's called?

Which Traveller rules would you be using?
Rules would be the 1981 edition I believe. The most recent bundles of holding have them.

Thieves World is a fantasy setting that takes place in a city called Santuary. It comesfrom a collection of short stories by multiple authors. It normally wouldn't be something associated with Traveller but when Chaosium published the Thieves World boxed set they published it with stats for pretty much every major and a few minor rpg systems including Traveler.

I know next to nothing about the Imperium so I'd probably set this in something similar to H.Beam Piper's Federation . Federation looks pretty much like the confrontation between the old "self reliant man" vs "it takes a highly formally educated government run village to raise a child". That conflict does not necessarily need to exist in this setting beyond the idea you will face some pushback for trying to subjegate a people by force.

The intro idea I'm thinking is youre a self funded private corporation out searching for planets to colonize / gain trade rights on. You've found this planet as your running low on funding so you have to make something happen here or lose everything you own and possibly face a debtors prison. The law requires you negotiate with a local authority to grant to a license for trade and colonization. Think super weak prime directive legally but a social movement at home trying to strengthen it towards a strong prime directive.

Top Bottom