• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Traveller: Classic vs Mongoose

bottg

Validated User
I have a hankering to run some Traveller (using Fantasy Grounds for which there is a Classic ruleset) and have both LBB 0-8 and the mongoose core book. I am currently undecided however about which character creation and game rules to use.

Classic seems like it would be very slick in play, especially because the ruleset automation would handle a lot of it, but character creation seems to be fairly arcane after a couple of reads through, and also has only a few options.

The mongoose version has plenty more character types that can be followed during char creation and it is laid out/explained better. It also seems to have more options on weapons/armour etc and technology seems to be better codified into TL. However, the +DM from stats will require extra work in play as the ruleset is designed for classic.

So my question to all traveller fans. Do i use classic straight, mongoose straight, or some mash up between the two: MT character creation and CT in play etc etc?

It will be a fairly typical sandbox type campaign with a bit of this and a bit of that, probably 4 players +/-1

Last edited:

TrippyHippy

Banned
I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive, and I frequently use my library of Classic adventures straight up with my Mongoose Traveller game, for example.

Mongoose Traveller is just more open and accessible really, with more options accordingly. Classic has a certain style that is difficult to fully define, but feels a little more 'hard science' when you play it, for some reason.

iainjcoleman

Validated User
I would go with Mongoose straight, adding in any bits and pieces you feel you need from Classic. They're compatible enough that there shouldn't be a problem.

Don't worry too much about the stat DMs. Classic has these too, in a rather haphazard manner. Mongoose just standardises these, making them easier to handle in play.

ChariotDriver

Validated User
The +/- DM from stats is one of the very few things I don't like with Mongoose Traveller. I tend to reduce it's effect sharply when I don't eliminate it entirely. Otherwise, I think it's an improvement on Clasic Traveller. Like the other people who've responded, I've found a lot of Classic Traveller material works perfectly well with Mongtrav, particularly adventures. MegaTraveller adventures are usable, though there's enough differences that I find I need to adjust things beforehand rather than in play as I can with CT adventures.

bottg

Validated User
I would go with Mongoose straight, adding in any bits and pieces you feel you need from Classic. They're compatible enough that there shouldn't be a problem.

Don't worry too much about the stat DMs. Classic has these too, in a rather haphazard manner. Mongoose just standardises these, making them easier to handle in play.
Classic does seem very haphazard indeed as to when stats provide a bonus and when they don't. Combat especially seems to have very varied effects from stats.

bottg

Validated User
This is probably a stupid question, but how do stats modify out of combat skill rolls? I can't find anything to say that intelligence for example modifies say engineering. Some skills (e.g. computers) do say that a specific stat is required for complex tasks (education or intelligence in this case) but no specific numbers or modifiers are given.

Is this a classic old school thing?

RSDean

Validated User
This is probably a stupid question, but how do stats modify out of combat skill rolls? ....

Is this a classic old school thing?
It's not stupid. I'm guessing you're asking about Classic, since the answer to your question in Mongoose is pretty clearly laid out in the chapter on Skills and Tasks.

In Classic, there isn't a set effect, unless specified in a skill description. However, lots of people used the Digest Group Publications "Universal Task System", which had you rolling for different target numbers on 2d6 depending on the referee's assessment of difficulty, with a plus for your skill and a plus for an applicable stat. The stat plus was your stat divided by 5, dropping fractions, so a maximum stat of 15 meant that it ranged from 0 to 3, roughly the same range as typical skills.

Scary how much of this I can remember after 36 years...

Last edited:

bottg

Validated User
It's not stupid. I'm guessing you're asking about Classic, since the answer to your question in Mongoose is pretty clearly laid out in the chapter on Skills and Tasks.

In Classic, there isn't a set effect, unless specified in a skill description. However, lots of people used the Digest Group Publications "Universal Task System", which had you rolling for different target numbers on 2d6 depending on the referee's assessment of difficulty, with a plus for your skill and a plus for an applicable stat. The stat plus was your stat divided by 5, dropping fractions, so a maximum stat of 15 meant that it ranged from 0 to 3, roughly the same range as typical skills.

Scary how much of this I can remember after 36 years...
Ah, thanks for that. Sorry, it was classic. I think i will use that UTS (i love abbreviations!) as it will be esy to do in Fantasy Grounds.

Just need to sit down and read the LBB again then!

RSDean

Validated User
Alas, memory failed me on one point.

Google for Universal Task Profile rather than System...

--- Post Updated ---

Alas, memory failed me on one point.

Google for Universal Task Profile rather than System...

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would go Mongoose, the rules are clearer and easier that classic.

Setting is the only time that might make a difference....

Top Bottom