• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💯 {Staff Pick} TRAVELLER: Out of the Box -- Only Using Books 1-3

CK!

Creator of Things
Validated User
Although the OSR is built around fantasy games for the most part, I believe another game deserves a second look in terms of the exciting RPG play growing these days. The game is Classic Traveller. And when I say Classic Traveller I mean only Traveller Books 1, 2, and 3.

In Traveller Books 1, 2, and 3 there is no mention of the Third Imperium or any details of GDW's Official Traveller Universe.

I'm writing a series of posts about what happens if you only look at the original game as published in 1977 and 1981. I find the implied setting to be much more interesting than what came later. And you might too.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
Excellent. The next time you run Traveller at Strategicon, I gotta get in on that.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Good posts. I enjoyed reading them. You have some good ideas about starports, and I really like the idea of low berths being intended for animals but sometimes used by desperate humans.

I missed out on the 1977 edition (although I long ago picked up a copy and read it for comparison). I started running Traveller when Deluxe Starter Traveller was released, and that's just about all we used (other than a few supplements) for many years. So the Imperium in my Traveller universe wasn't much like the one in GDW's official materials. It was only later, when MegaTraveller was released, that I started to really try to understand GDW's Imperium.

These days, I run Traveller games that are mostly like my early ones. I haven't gone all the way and started using the 1977 edition, but your posts make me think it may be worth looking into using some bits from it.

Last edited:

RSDean

Validated User
I look forward to future installments. My own Traveller background is pretty deep; I started with the LBBs in 1977, so I watched the whole structure grow. For many years after the end of MegaTraveller, I dropped back to using a set of Starter Traveller I picked up in 1990. I have a subsector I play around with for that. Some Imperialisms have crept in, but I may revisit that a bit this week, inspired by your blog. I had forgotten that the trade routes were not in Starter or 1981 Traveller. I have them drawn onto my map and remember generating them in the 1977 way, so I must have pulled out my LBBs at some point to do that. With the Far Future CDs including the 1977 books, I should print out the rules that aren't in Starter and create a supplement...

Vile

Dreamscape Designer
Validated User
With the Far Future CDs including the 1977 books, I should print out the rules that aren't in Starter and create a supplement ...
Damn, really? I bought the CD-ROM as soon as it came out, it didn't have the 1977 rules in it then. Has it been revised?

RSDean

Validated User
Yes, I got an offer from Marc Miller at some point asking if I wanted the update at cost. According to my computer files, the update CD is dated January 2013. I just doublechecked to confirm that it does have the 1977 books as well as the 1981 versions. There's even a version 1 of High Guard, though that one was essentially dysfunctional...

Anfelas

Validated User
Yup, it was updated with the missing stuff like the 77 rules and 1e HG.

You can get the update cheap if you have the original - or at least you used to be able to.

Vile

Dreamscape Designer
Validated User
I'll have to follow up on that - I do wish FFE would move on from CDs ...

Scurrilous

Validated User
I think Traveller will never need a Retro Clone as FFE has done a pretty good job of keeping it all available. The OSR is really the result of a few major gaffs on WotC's part, the first being not reprinting or making pdfs of the AD&D books sooner and second the OGL, not that I'm complaining but it opened the flood gates and took the matter out of their hands.

And between Classic Traveller, Mega Traveller, Traveller The New Era, GURPS Traveller, Traveller 4, d20 Traveller, Traveller HERO, Mongoose Traveller, and T5 there's already, a Traveller for everyone.

Top Bottom