• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Traveller] What books for this setting?

Jdidgits

Registered Loser
Validated User
I'm a big fan of Iain M. Banks and as much as I'd love to run a game in the Culture Universe I've read all the arguments about how this is impossible.

However, I recently read Bank's The Algebraist and I thought it would make an awesome universe to game in. I think Traveller would make a pretty decent system for this.

My question is: I have only the core rulebook for Traveller Mongoose. What other books would be necessary (or, at least, helpful) for gaming in the world of the Algebraist?

TrippyHippy

Banned
Well, the post-human themes are only touched upon in 2300AD in the same way. To be sure, I wish people would stop saying things like 'it's impossible' to do any setting, and just work out ways of doing it.

Mongoose probably has links with Iaan Banks, as he lives in Scotland. The Culture and/or The Agerbraist would be on my top three list for potential Traveller settings - it's just they would be hard to do without a significant amount of work.

dragoner

Banned
Looking at the wiki it looks doable, maybe you could steal parts of eclipse phase and throw it in there, but I would say the culture books seem to focus around scouts, agents, mercenaries and rogues with AI ships.

Jdidgits

Registered Loser
Validated User
Well, the post-human themes are only touched upon in 2300AD in the same way. To be sure, I wish people would stop saying things like 'it's impossible' to do any setting, and just work out ways of doing it.

Mongoose probably has links with Iaan Banks, as he lives in Scotland. The Culture and/or The Agerbraist would be on my top three list for potential Traveller settings - it's just they would be hard to do without a significant amount of work.
I agree. The Culture would be the ultimate sci-fi gaming universe, in my opinion. I guess I've just been overwhelmed by the number of people on the 'nets who've argued that it is impossible to set up a decent game in the Culture-verse.

Although I think Traveller would be great for the Algebraist-verse, I've always wondered if Mindjammer and Starblazer's Adventures wouldn't be a perfect fit for the Culture-verse.

So, as far as anyone knows, there aren't any Traveller books/supplements that deal directly with transhumanist themes? How about the new Robots book? Does it have any info about how to make drone-like 'bots?

Marchand

Validated User
Mongoose probably has links with Iaan Banks, as he lives in Scotland.
I didn't know Banks had any interest in rpg's - pls elaborate?

Might be helpful to narrow down what kind of Culture gaming is aimed for. I think Traveller would be a great fit for Consider Phlebas or Use of Weapons - more or less baseline human(oid)s plus their drone friends. Consider Phlebas, especially, would be a fun period of Culture history to play in. The Robots book would do drones.

If you want a system where players can choose to be humans or drones or Minds then things get trickier. I think the already-mentioned Mindjammer supplement for Starblazer is pitched at this kind of level although I haven't read it myself.

I would be tempted to go with BRP for Algebraist, especially in its Ringworld incarnation. Ringworld chargen could throw up centuries-old PCs with thousands of skillpoints, which could be reskinned as a Dweller, say.

Top Bottom