• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative [Trinity Continuum] Renaissance-era Talents

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
So, I'm considering the potential uses of Trinity Continuum's core once it's released, and one idea that I'm revolving around is a Renaissance-period game about Italian swordsmen and Inspired super-science... and my question is, "am I basically just replicating 7th Sea here?"

I suppose a valid starting-off point would be, what kind of allegiances could be found here? Setting something that's concurrent with Pope Alexander VI means there's probably not an Aeon Society around (although there's nothing really preventing Mercer from getting there, when you get down to it).

IanWatson

Pharos
Validated User
Nothing wrong with riffing off 7th Sea. It's a great game. Still, there are a lot of other ways you can take it: Assassin's Creed, for example, works pretty cleanly in the Continuum, and some of the most well-regarded AC games took place in the Renaissance, and it's definitely not what I think of when I think of 7th Sea.

My intent is that every era has an Aeon Society or something like it, although the Adventure! era is the first time Aeon is a single continuous organization throughout the eras which follow, partly due to Max's influence. So if you want to introduce la Fratellanza Eone, go for it, because I'd do the same thing.

There's also some inspiration to be had in existing material. Adventure!, for example, details the Order of Murder, which dates back to the reign of Henry VIII, right in the middle of your target era. They faked the executions of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and soon expanded their operations under the name "Ordo Occisionis," assisting the wealthy in faking their own deaths for a fee. Want to introduce a cool noble character but in real life they're already dead by the time your game's set? Surprise! Their death was faked. Hell, Cesare Borgia was only 31 when he died, and he was vastly influential. Our modern conception of a bearded Jesus pretty much originates with artists drawing Cesare as Jesus. He was the inspiration for Machiavelli's The Prince. What more could he have done if he was secretly alive?

Although the story of Robin Hood is typically contemporaneous with the late 12th century's Richard the Lionheart, the earliest known Robin Hood ballads date to about 1450. Even if Robin Hood exists in the Continuum, the resurgence of interest surrounding the ballads might lead to the development of some Merry Men outlaws, the precursors to the modern Fantômes.

And of course you could straight swipe the Assassins or Templars from AC.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Something like Da Vinci's Demons runs closer to the 7th Sea style while keeping a slightly more grounded tone with Leonardo's Advanced and Inspired Science creations being rare. Other larger-than-life characters like John Dee could feature as well.

Depending how weird you want to go, there's also Neil Gaiman's 1602 timewarp version of the Marvel Universe. Doctor Strange and Nick Fury take the places of John Dee and Francis Walsingham in Elizabeth's court, while mutants are known as "Witchbreed" and persecuted by James the Sixth and First.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
So, I'm considering the potential uses of Trinity Continuum's core once it's released, and one idea that I'm revolving around is a Renaissance-period game about Italian swordsmen and Inspired super-science... and my question is, "am I basically just replicating 7th Sea here?"
7th Sea contains several different time periods crammed together. If you were replicating it, you'd need to do that.

Besides, who cares if you're replicating it? Everything is replicating something else. I mean, 7th Sea is like, "Hey, let's replicate every setting I like that involves sword fighting. Then we'll add some magic and stuff."

Top Bottom