• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Trolls

rbingham2000

The Demon Slayer
Validated User
Trolls for me are basically similar to the ones from Tolkien and LOTRO. They're quite big, but not on the level of giants. They don't regenerate, but they are incredibly tough -- regular weapons aren't going to do much to them, and even a magical weapon is only going to do so much unless it's been specifically enchanted to slay such beings. When most people encounter one, their best tack is to run like hell and pray for daybreak to come and turn it to stone.

Arevashti

Aspiring World-Builder
Validated User
Don't mind me; just copy-pasting what I put up at another forum:
Trolls are actually the result of symbiosis between a lesser giant akin to an ogre, and a simple (but potentially quite valuable, considering its capabilities) plant or fungus. If the troll is wounded, this "troll moss" releases chemicals that spur regeneration (and sometimes even sprouts temporary replacement parts out of its own substance). However, it has its own vulnerabilities: If you burn part of it out (acid and fire both count as "burning" for our purposes here), it takes a while to grow back...and you've managed to actually hurt the troll.

It should be noted that if someone could manage cultivate troll moss without having to actually put up with trolls, the alchemical potential would be huge. Unfortunately, it hasn't been done yet.

Old Geezer

Banned
I read Three Hearts and Three Lions before, or just as, I started playing Greyhawk.

Anderson's description of the troll damn near made me shit my pants. I UNDERSTAND why Gary made it the "gold standard."

Ialdabaoth

Banned
I read Three Hearts and Three Lions before, or just as, I started playing Greyhawk.

Anderson's description of the troll damn near made me shit my pants. I UNDERSTAND why Gary made it the "gold standard."
Praise be to the Most High, you're back!!!

Ialdabaoth

Banned
If it wasn't for gaming, I'd pretty much treat trolls and ogres interchangeably.
This. To me, Troll, Ogre, Ettin and Giant should all be part of a single 'family' or clade of critters.

Elf, Eladrin/Faerie, Gnome and Pixie should all be another clade.

Orc, Goblin, Hobgoblin and Kobold should all be another clade.

And then Human, Dwarf and Halfling can be the final clade.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
Trolls are either of the jamaican axe-throwing variant or the kind that turns to stone in sunlight.

Tactless Armiger

Zvegdoooooor!
Validated User
I almost always base my trolls off Everquest trolls. Big, green, cunning, and a danger to themselves and others because they were cursed with always being hungry - a curse that they can overcome with enough willpower. In my games, Orcs are the player option for people that want to be a German-style tribal people who engage in cross-community raiding while occasionally becoming the foederati of whatever demihuman empire exists. Trolls are for the players who want to play actual monsters - the ones that are being heroic, but holy crap Trolls eat people, what the heck is one doing here?!

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
+1 to the Frederik KT Andersson trolls.

But I like the trolls I read about in old Scandinavian folktales that are basically a kind of ugly giant, specifically they have a huge nose. They're usually dumb, but not always. They're daughters can be really hot (I consider the bristly tail an attractive feature :D). They've probably got some kind of magic.

Essentially they're another kind of people. I really don't need a giant ape-like super-killer. Honestly monster you can't talk to are kind of boring.

Slushie Mandrake

Iʼll always remain alien
Validated User
I actually have been in preparation for new campaign that might start or might not start after one I'm middle of re-imagined some monsters and troll-equilevant are big scary muscular humanoids with grey skin, pointed ears, sloping foreheads and boar tusks and with cow tails, they also die in sunlight, their stich is that of being shapechangers so you will never know if friendly trader or peasant girl you meet on lonely road is really what he or she looks like.

Top Bottom