• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[turned into a Warhammer 40k thread] Alt-righters getting banned off Patreon

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
No, only in your particularly biased interpretation of them, not the actual text.
Yes, I am sure that incidents like a small group of space marines killing so many (supposedly elite) Dark Eldar that their most pressing issue is killing so many that they run out of ammunition for their guns are very much open to interpretation when it comes to the competence of the Groups involved.
After all, throwing yourself on the bullets of the enemy if a well-known high level tactic that often leads to victory.

Or the story described as "It's the battle of the shadows as the Raven Guard meet their equal in the midnight killers of Commoragh. Who will prove to be the masters of the night?", which is actually a series of rushing defeats as a Group of space marine novices easily out-stealth some of supposedly most dangerous combatants in the galaxy, easily schooling these mere centuries-old killers while only suffering a single, toke loss of their own.
We all know that crushing, overwhelming victory is a sure sign a military force has met their equal.

And of course being killed by so many random people that you are literally turned into a in-setting joke for a "easy task" is a sure sign of being a dangerous and feared God of War.

And I am very sure that many, many powerful space marine special characters have been killed by mere grenades after only killing a score of enemy combatants.

I am completely sure all of that is very true. /sarcasm

Who knows maybe one day Xenos and their characters will be afforded 1/10 of the respect and dignity space marines get by default. But I very much doubt that will ever happen.
Hey, maybe the total number of convincing Eldar victories in novels over lojalist Astartes will be a whole whopping five in number! Now that would be something to celebrate.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
There's an entire Imperial Armor book that's essentially the Necrons kicking ass and taking names.

The Imperial Army books are actually decent at that. I remember both the Eldar and Tyranid ones were both quite good at presenting the non-Imperial side as actually threatening.
But I guess that's a need when you are a conflict book; you have to try to sell both sides of the conflict to the readers, not just having space marines curbstomp everyone. In fact, for all their faults, I personally Think the Imperial Armour books are some of the fairest books of the setting in terms of giving spotlight and successes to all factions involved in the conflict.

I remember Reading the Vraks book and being surprised at the defeats and costly victories the space marines endured, because even at that time, most other published materials were extremely pro-Space Marine

Klajorne

Double Clutching Weasel
Validated User
Honest question, I don't read the 40k fiction books, only the snippets in codexes for factions I consider starting (and then...not starting)

Outside of the Necron Codex are there any stories where they get 'screen time' in which they outfight the Imperials, seize a new world and the Imperials have to flee/abandon the sector/etc.? Perhaps the Mechanicus try to exploit a world for Blackstone, awaken the 'crons, commit more and more forces to the fray to try and win the planet, still can't do it and eventually someone calls off the entire attempt and it's filed away as 'return later' for saving face while the 'crons set about ruling their newly awakened world and eventually the system.

I know Trazyn manages to use their pokeball to capture Ursakar Creed.
Been a while since I read it, but:

Spoiler: Show
in Fall of Damnos its Necrons Vs Ultramarines. They fight back and forth for most of the book, but ultimately the Ultramarines run away when Cassius (the named 2nd Captain guy) gets badly wounded, leaving the planet to the necrons.

Though, I think there is a sequel where the Ultramarinescome back and win a battle. I haven't read that one.

Scutarii

Validated User
Been a while since I read it, but:

Spoiler: Show
in Fall of Damnos its Necrons Vs Ultramarines. They fight back and forth for most of the book, but ultimately the Ultramarines run away when Cassius (the named 2nd Captain guy) gets badly wounded, leaving the planet to the necrons.

Though, I think there is a sequel where the Ultramarinescome back and win a battle. I haven't read that one.
Yeah it's in the Codex.

Necrons are disturbed by mining and awaken, defeating the local PDF. The Ultramarines second company (100 marines+repair teams, drivers etc.?) counterattack and are driven away.

25 years after Damnos falls Calgar comes back, destroys the Tomb Ship and releases the C'Tan inside. Cato Sicarius then uses a vortex grenade to destroy the C'Tan and ultimately the Necrons are defeated and all of their ressurection tech is destroyed, utterly annihilating the Necrons there forevermore.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
40K has basically been running on WWE physics for most of my life. I don't know if that's the best decision for a wargame but honestly if you don't know to not gamble against the Ultramarine or the Globetrotters I can't help you.

jimthegray

Validated User
Yeah, the Imperium is doomed, while also simultaneously dooming humanity. With luck, humanity will survive as subjects of the Tau, but that’s kind of a best case scenario.
Nah the tau will be extinct far before the imperium. There a tiny fringe kingdom in the way of the nids

macd21

Validated User
Nah the tau will be extinct far before the imperium. There a tiny fringe kingdom in the way of the nids
That’s what they are now, but everyone has to start somewhere! The Tau are supposed to be the Imperium’s replacement (much like Aasimov’s Foundation series). When the Imperium falls, the Tau are the ones who will pick up the pieces and forge a new galaxy-wide civilization to keep the likes of the Orks or ‘nids in line. It’ll take 1000 years (and could go horribly wrong, of course - if the eldar seers were perfect then their civilization wouldn’t be so fucked).

jimthegray

Validated User
That’s what they are now, but everyone has to start somewhere! The Tau are supposed to be the Imperium’s replacement (much like Aasimov’s Foundation series). When the Imperium falls, the Tau are the ones who will pick up the pieces and forge a new galaxy-wide civilization to keep the likes of the Orks or ‘nids in line. It’ll take 1000 years (and could go horribly wrong, of course - if the eldar seers were perfect then their civilization wouldn’t be so fucked).
I dont think that is there purpose, there an army listed to show one of the countless tiny empires are like

Top Bottom