[turned into a Warhammer 40k thread] Alt-righters getting banned off Patreon

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
That’s what they are now, but everyone has to start somewhere! The Tau are supposed to be the Imperium’s replacement (much like Aasimov’s Foundation series). When the Imperium falls, the Tau are the ones who will pick up the pieces and forge a new galaxy-wide civilization to keep the likes of the Orks or ‘nids in line. It’ll take 1000 years (and could go horribly wrong, of course - if the eldar seers were perfect then their civilization wouldn’t be so fucked).
Eldar seers are amazingly horrible in fact. The Imperium has way better ones.
Any random Space Marine Librarian probably has a better track record with divination than Eldrad does, and probably is a more powerful Psyker as well :)

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
That said, the T'au have fought of several Imperial assaults, including at least one Crusade, beaten up the Mechanicus, soundly beaten at least one Hive Fleet (or was it just a splinter? Can't remember).
They have pretty well graduated from being a tiny empire to a middling one. They are big local players, just not on a galactic scale yet like the others are

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Tau are currently having a problem where, while they themselves are largely null as far as the warp is concerned, their more warp-influencing-and-influenced subject races’ faith in the Greater Good has spawned a warp entity that is functionally the God of the Greater Good, which has torn open that big Fifth Sphere Expansion wormhole they’re currently using to explore the galactic north. The Tau survivors of the Fourth Sphere Expansion encountered the entity directly, decided it was a terrible, monstrous perversion of everything they care about, and have decided the only way to get rid of it is to kill all non-Tau. But they’re keeping that on the down-low because they know it won’t be well received.

So that’s a problem that should scale up hilariously the more successful they are.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
The Tau are currently having a problem where, while they themselves are largely null as far as the warp is concerned, their more warp-influencing-and-influenced subject races’ faith in the Greater Good has spawned a warp entity that is functionally the God of the Greater Good, which has torn open that big Fifth Sphere Expansion wormhole they’re currently using to explore the galactic north. The Tau survivors of the Fourth Sphere Expansion encountered the entity directly, decided it was a terrible, monstrous perversion of everything they care about, and have decided the only way to get rid of it is to kill all non-Tau. But they’re keeping that on the down-low because they know it won’t be well received.

So that’s a problem that should scale up hilariously the more successful they are.
That's kind of an awesome development. Where can I find out more?

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User

What did said deity look/feel like?

macd21

Validated User
I dont think that is there purpose, there an army listed to show one of the countless tiny empires are like
No, I’m talking about their in-setting purpose: some eldar messed with them because they want to use them as ‘replacement’ humans for when the Imperium falls.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User

So they're kind of starting to become the per-Heresy Empire?

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User

As kind of a Tau fan, this is one of my least favourite developments with the new lore. The Primaris stuff, I could take or leave (it's a little annoying when non-Imperial codexes have a sidebar on And This Is What They Think Of The Primaris, but they're a workable addition), but this one kind of pisses me off.

Like, I can see how we got there given the nature of the universe, but the interesting thing about the Tau is the question about whether they can retain their comparatively idealistic, optimistic there-is-a-better-way stance in the face of all the horrible things in the universe. The least interesting thing you could possibly do with that question is to answer it with "no, and fuck you for even momentarily entertaining the possibility that the answer could be yes, have the Imperium again but with grey skin this time", and that's the answer I get from having the Tau who've gotten the clearest glimpse of the cosmos instantly and irrevocably do a find-replace on Imperial policy and go from there.

I mean, this is the best edition I've played on a mechanical level, and most of the setting development has been pretty good, but I really do think that this was a mistake.

macd21

Validated User
As kind of a Tau fan, this is one of my least favourite developments with the new lore. The Primaris stuff, I could take or leave (it's a little annoying when non-Imperial codexes have a sidebar on And This Is What They Think Of The Primaris, but they're a workable addition), but this one kind of pisses me off.

Like, I can see how we got there given the nature of the universe, but the interesting thing about the Tau is the question about whether they can retain their comparatively idealistic, optimistic there-is-a-better-way stance in the face of all the horrible things in the universe. The least interesting thing you could possibly do with that question is to answer it with "no, and fuck you for even momentarily entertaining the possibility that the answer could be yes, have the Imperium again but with grey skin this time", and that's the answer I get from having the Tau who've gotten the clearest glimpse of the cosmos instantly and irrevocably do a find-replace on Imperial policy and go from there.

I mean, this is the best edition I've played on a mechanical level, and most of the setting development has been pretty good, but I really do think that this was a mistake.
Is this now official Tau policy, or just a plan some of the Tau are considering?

Top Bottom