[turned into a Warhammer 40k thread] Alt-righters getting banned off Patreon

Scutarii

Validated User
After decades of mostly watching 40K from the sidelines [1], I've suddenly recently gotten the urge to engage and am having a lot of fun with novels and game books. (Minis aren't physically feasible for me, so that part I still watch from the sidelines.) I will have questions. In fact, here's one now.

Hey, so, Primarch Guilliman. He's a product of the whole rationalistic, atheistic incarnation of imperial dogma. Do we know if he still leans that way at all, or if the whole Very Long Nap plus pressing new circumstances moved him over to the religious version?

1: Occasionally I moved in closer, particularly when James Wallis asked Bryant Durrell and I to work with him on a pitch for a Dark Future RPG. I got to read the secret plot file in its mid-1990s incarnation. Pretty sure that about nothing of it beyond conjunctions and prepositions remains in effect. :)
He is horrified by what the Imperium has become so I’m gonna go with remaining ‘’’’’rational’’’’’.

However his hands are tied by the existing Imperial hierarchy, culture and entrenched power. He’s trying to make reforms and to ameliorate the worst of the Imperium but has to do it in such a way that doesn’t trigger uprising he and civil war nor too heavily disrupts thing while the forces of Chaos are running rampant.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, Guilliman's really unhappy with how the Imperium has turned out. Including the rampant religious fanaticism.

(Also, something of a side issue, but when he tried to make sense of the Imperial history ever since he got put into stasis, Guilliman discovered that the Imperial calendar has issues. Due to timing problems caused by warp travel, damage to records due to the various major crises, and the usual mix of factionalism and overloaded bureaucracy, there are a number of different Imperial timelines, and the best, most complete ones do not match. So depending on which ones you trust, the "present" of the game is either early M42, or late M41, or anything in between. Guilliman is not happy with this, either.)

Starcrash

Validated User
Yeah, Guilliman's really unhappy with how the Imperium has turned out. Including the rampant religious fanaticism.

(Also, something of a side issue, but when he tried to make sense of the Imperial history ever since he got put into stasis, Guilliman discovered that the Imperial calendar has issues. Due to timing problems caused by warp travel, damage to records due to the various major crises, and the usual mix of factionalism and overloaded bureaucracy, there are a number of different Imperial timelines, and the best, most complete ones do not match. So depending on which ones you trust, the "present" of the game is either early M42, or late M41, or anything in between. Guilliman is not happy with this, either.)
This is my ultimate in-universe get-out clause for why things are different in my game than "canon".

nos4artu

Educationalist.
Validated User
I think the other interesting thing with Guilliman is that he’s in no doubt that the Emperor is a monster. But he’s also well aware that the reason the Imperium is so utterly fucked is because of Horus’ stupidity in capitulating the Chaos gods. So he’s trying to build something better while remaining deeply conflicted about his father and the wider universe. He’s a demigod out of time and he’s trying to work through a lot of anger issues, cognitive dissonance and a determination to... preserve and build on the utterly horrible ruins. He doesn’t get any sleep.

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
Question: Why are all Sisters of Battle depicted with white hair and bob cuts? Is it just fan inertia or is it written somewhere in the lore that Sisters of the Adepta Sororitas do their hair that way as part of their vows? Where does this come from? Why is this a thing? Why no red heads? Why no black sisters with dreads?

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Question: Why are all Sisters of Battle depicted with white hair and bob cuts? Is it just fan inertia or is it written somewhere in the lore that Sisters of the Adepta Sororitas do their hair that way as part of their vows? Where does this come from? Why is this a thing? Why no red heads? Why no black sisters with dreads?
I believe that dyeing hair in a specific colour is often a part of a given Order's tradition, and it's usually white because most Battle Sister units in GW art are from a specific Order that favours that colour.

The them-all-being-white-people thing is because it's GW and they're not notably good at representation.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When the Sisters are released, and I build my new army, I'm planning on using the imagery of Wakanda (movie version) as an inspiration (at least insofar as my feeble painting skills can realize).

kitty voodoo

Social Justice Sister of Battle
Validated User
I believe that dyeing hair in a specific colour is often a part of a given Order's tradition, and it's usually white because most Battle Sister units in GW art are from a specific Order that favours that colour.

The them-all-being-white-people thing is because it's GW and they're not notably good at representation.
I just was curious bout the white bob cuts. Cuz whenever you google image search “Sisters of Battle” that’s pretty much all you find. A few outliers here and there but for the most part...

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
The bob cuts are from the original 1997 models, and just stuck as part of the aesthetic. The white was from the Studio army for Codex: Witchhunters, but I believe it's just a tradition from a single Order rather than all Adepta Sororitas.

I believe the new miniatures - what we've seen so far - have a bit more variety than the late-90s era sculpts.

Edit: beaten to it by Death Cult Assassins...

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
In a way, it's a lot like asking why so many Space Marines are painted blue in the official art. GW's just picked that particular chapter as the in house standard.

(Would love to see some more variety in that, GW)

Top Bottom