• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[turned into a Warhammer 40k thread] Alt-righters getting banned off Patreon

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question: Why are all Sisters of Battle depicted with white hair and bob cuts? Is it just fan inertia or is it written somewhere in the lore that Sisters of the Adepta Sororitas do their hair that way as part of their vows? Where does this come from? Why is this a thing? Why no red heads? Why no black sisters with dreads?
The bob cuts were picked because longer hair - hair that went down over a collar - were harder to sculpt in metal.

The "default" Order for the Sisters is "The Order of the Martyred Lady." In the original Sisters Codex they all had black hair, black robes, and black armor:

But the Sister on the cover had white hair and red robes:

By the time the next Sisters codex (Codex: Witch Hunters) came out they had realized that black hair/black armor/black robes doesn't really stand out on the tabletop, so they went to the white hair/black armor/red robes for the Martyred Lady studio models.

The them-all-being-white-people thing is because it's GW and they're not notably good at representation.
GW has Sisters of color in official art:

First and Forsaken Brian

Validated User
I think that particular Ordo is less concerned with sending people through time and more concerned with suppressing, say, the Great Crusade rememberancer whose ship just dropped out of the Warp and who has records of the Imperial Truth, the Battle Barge from a timeline where the Space Wolves turned to Chaos rather than the Thousand Sons, or the Necron Lord who's gotten it into his head to open a gate back to after the conclusion of the War in Heaven for some fresh troops.

There's, like, two off-hand mentions of the Ordo in the literature, from what I recall, so it's more flavor than fact.

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
Is time travel a thing in 40k? Why don’t they just send a legion or two back in time to take out Horus? Or give the Emperor a heads up or something?
IIRC it happens during some travel through The Warp, but it's nothing that's controlled by the Imperium, just something that happens to ships, Bermuda Triangle style. I don't think it's an actual thing but I'm not huge on the lore anymore.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
IIRC it happens during some travel through The Warp, but it's nothing that's controlled by the Imperium, just something that happens to ships, Bermuda Triangle style. I don't think it's an actual thing but I'm not huge on the lore anymore.
I remember there was a bit in one of the Rogue Trader books about a ship that arrived at the naval station where it was being built, or something like that. And of course, there's the classic one in one of the Ork codexes about the Warboss who arrives at the planet he's leaving from, and kills his past self to have a second copy of his favorite gun.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
This is all head canon from basically two lines total of actual in-house information. Take with a grain of salt. But one of my favorite things in 40K is mundane bureaucracy with mortal consequenses. I love the idea of a battle ship showing up over a world declaring tomorrow is Daylight Savings on pain of death.

So first you have an organization trying to keep one calendar for an entire galaxy. Even worse, time-skips happen with every voyage, so you have to calibrate all that. But then, it's 40K--so now we add the mystical. An entire ordo trying to make and read an astrology report using THE ENTIRE GALAXY. Intercene civil wars breaking out over if the week starts on Monday or Sunday (billions of lives lost!). Trying to take the insanity of 40K and fit it all into simple boxes on a desk calendar with an Ultramarine hanging on the side of a Necron warship and "I hate Mondays!".

Then there's the temporal paradoxes. At least, that's what we'd call them. But in 40K, paradox is just another word for Chaos. Ordo warfleets arriving to destroy a ship that suddenly appeared from the warp because they already have a report saying it was lost. Murdering entire bloodlines of people just because due to a thrones-damned Aeldari someone ended up being their own grampa. Destroying a forgeworld because that last experiment took them a bit too far off the sub-atomic clocks, and if the clocks aren't right then you're just increasing the odds of demons pouring out of your face.

And yes, you can involve time travel! If they have it, they're still the Imperium, and to the Imperium the Imperium is the best of all possible worlds! Going back in time to kneecap that one division with a "pirate raid" to make sure a battle is lost so the war is eventually won. Injecting some poor grot with a chemical to make them the horrible Warboss the future needs him to be. Fighting other time travellers from the future trying to bring about a better world? So they say, but maybe it's all a CHAOS PLOT! to inject this village with..."Vitamin C?" Sounds like a weapon to me!!

Or even just tilt full on into Dr. Who. The marines and commissars are all panicky about another Tau invasion? Well we'd love to help but WE'RE A LITTLE BUSY FIGHTING SKAVEN, HRUD, SOME DARK ANGELS THAT ARE NATIVE AMERICANS(?!?) AND A BUTT-LOAD OF SQUATS WHO ARE RIGHTLY PISSED THEY WERE WIPED FROM REALITY IN THE LAST CORRECTION BUT SHOULD REALLY! KNOW! THEIR! PLACE!!

So yes, it's ridiculous. It'd be Brazil with skulls and lasers, but they rapidly became my favorite Ordo, doing all this crazy stuff off-stage.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
I remember there was a bit in one of the Rogue Trader books about a ship that arrived at the naval station where it was being built, or something like that.
I always like that one being mentioned, because I wrote it. It's a ship lost in the Warp during the 13th Black Crusade, which arrived about a century early.

Still, the idea's not exactly unprecedented; the idea of a vessel responding to a distress signal, arriving at the start of a crisis, and sending the very signal they responded to has popped up in 40k before. So time travel is possible, but intentional time travel is essentially unheard of.

Top Bottom