[turned into a Warhammer 40k thread] Alt-righters getting banned off Patreon

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah: 40k warp travel is far, far more likely to get you lost or delayed or infested with mind-lice than (meaningfully) into the past, and doesn't ever allow intentional timeshifting. That's just something that might come up on the random event charts.

The imperium's mixed up calendars might not just be because it's hard to get a reliable datestamp*, but also because causality itself is somewhat undermined by the Warp's existence.
Technically all FTL is time travel (as you'll arrive ahead of your own light, so will be able to look back and see yourself leave), but events generally don't care most of the time. Having the warp around for communication as well as travel adds an extra bit of fun into the mix, since you don't have to travel into the past to send yourself a distress call - the message might go back in time that instead!

*Not sure if it's still current, but ~3e GW did break down the imperium's date stamp format. Most of it is bog standard years-fraction of Sol year stuff, but the final tag is essentially "distance from earth" in astropathic relays. If you're close enough to Terra to sync your clocks, that's a 0. If your astropath sets his watch by calling Terra Choral Temporal, that's a 1. Astropaths referencing a 1 tag their dates 2, and then 3 and so forth. The more jumps, the more uncertainty as each relay might not be entirely real time, you might accidentally mind link to a guy who died a century back, warp storms might isolate you for centuries with no reall way to be sure how much time actually passed, and so forth.

Huntress

Validated User
Let me rephrase that he was apparently good with rules when he was working in the Lord of the Rings segment. They gave him more free reign when they transferee him over to the 40K stuff.
Someone on a forum I used to be on claimed to have met him and asked him about the 7th edition Daemons of Chaos army book.
Apparently, it was overpowered because Ward felt that Daemons as the main antagonists of the setting should be overpowered.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
The offical deification of the Emperor (my autocorrect suggested 'employer') begin fairly shortly after the Heresy, so Guilliman should be aware of it.
I'm not sure how long after the Heresy that he suffered his almost mortal wound. That has been a bit of a moving target in the fluff.

Deptfordx

Validated User
There's an old 40k Imperial Guard novel where a regiment attempts to answer a desperate distress call from another unit on the edge of annhilation and it turns out to be a temporally displaced message from their own future.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
The offical deification of the Emperor (my autocorrect suggested 'employer') begin fairly shortly after the Heresy, so Guilliman should be aware of it.
I'm not sure how long after the Heresy that he suffered his almost mortal wound. That has been a bit of a moving target in the fluff.
I believe the official adoption of the Temple of the Saviour Emperor as the official state religion (as much as anything as big as the Imperium can have a single state religion rather than a cluster of loosely-similar denominations spread across a million different diocese) happens in the early 32nd Millennium, so about a thousand years after the Siege of Terra (which happens in the 14th year of the 31st Millennium). Guilliman was mortally wounded and confined to a stasis chamber a little over a century after the Siege of Terra, so the Imperial Church wasn't a thing before he went into stasis (though worship of the Emperor as a god was, even if it wasn't officially endorsed).

Starcrash

Validated User
Guilliman was mortally wounded and confined to a stasis chamber a little over a century after the Siege of Terra, so the Imperial Church wasn't a thing before he went into stasis (though worship of the Emperor as a god was, even if it wasn't officially endorsed).
Heck, in his age it was officially suppressed. See Monarchia.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Sure, but I was thinking more in the century or so post-Heresy that Guilliman was around for - part of the reason the Imperial Cult took hold was because it helped hold the Imperium together after the horrors of the Heresy. I can imagine it growing in strength (even unofficially) in the years after the Heresy and being allowed to set in because those running the Imperium had to prioritise other things.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not only suppressed, but he did the suppressing.

The cognitive dissonance of having to cooperate with something that would get your world leveled from orbit in, what to him, was only a few years ago must be quite the thing.

Though it does bring up my favorite bit from Black Legion.

“The Word Bearers won.’ Telemachon was on his hands and knees in the dust, blood trickling from his unmoving silver mouth. He laughed and heaved and vomited and laughed, speaking between dragged breaths and violent convulsions. ‘The Word Bearers won. They eat dirt and drink shame. They chant prayers to the unwanted truth through bloodied lips. They lost everything. And yet they still won.”

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
Question: Why are all Sisters of Battle depicted with white hair and bob cuts? Is it just fan inertia
As previously mentioned, not fan inertia, but studio inertia, since these are the same, mostly 1 piece (backpacks are seperate, but the majority of the models are a single part) as from the late 90s. Metal models were a little more flexible in detail than plastic, since they were made in flexible rubber molds instead of steel, but you still can't do significant undercuts. So varied, dynamic hairstyles require multiple seperate pieces.

Also, the designs are so old, they would've been designed by hand, instead of CAD which makes it massively simpler to both make concept designs, as well as check to be sure that it will be mold amenable.

So I've got high hopes that we're going to see a lot more options for individual appearance when the new models hit.

Top Bottom