• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

TX Gaming con, Sexual Assault, rapists, terrorists all welcome to come according organizer.

cliveklg

Validated User
In response to querries about steps to saftey, and inviting those accused of sexual assault being invited guests, this is the response from from the North TX RPG Con:

[FONT=&quot]Ok, I am making this post so everyone knows who is "allowed" to come to the Con.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have received about 3 emails asking me about Frank Mentzer and Bill Webb being on the list of attendees at the Con in 2018 (in this case both are Special Guests). They are bringing up info about "sexual harassment" claims as a reason to not have them at the Con....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So here is my stance on the subject:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Everyone is allowed to come to the Con[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our Con is a gaming Con. ie: when you arrive you are as follows:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Race: Gamer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sexual orientation: Gamer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Political affiliation: Gamer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Religion: Gamer[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]get the drift....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don't care if a member of ISIS or the most wanted person in a America comes to the Con, as long as they are there to game, and everything is about gaming.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have asked people to leave the Con when I find them debating politics and/or religion at the gaming table. (so what do you think I'd do if I observed any sexual harassment ?)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thus anything not gaming related can get you removed from the Con.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As long as everyone keeps everything about gaming, things are fine. If I hear of or observe anything non-gaming related, the person's time at the Con is ended until the next Con.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not sure if that answers your question.... so here's more[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If someone is in attendance at the Con that you don't like or don't approve of, my suggestion is don't play in their games. Don't talk to them. If people don't sign up for someone's games, then if they are a Special Guest, I can't afford to invite them back on my dime if they are not filling their games (that's an easy protest)...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We run a very small Con (max attendance set at 500) and I can't ask people not to attend based on information posted on the Web, or actions that occurred at another venue, or for that matter any conduct from their past.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Basically it's like telling me anyone having done anything in the past that I, or you or others don't like or don't agree with must not be allowed at the Con. That being the case, then no one at all would be invited since if I was privy to everyone's past, I am sure I can find some thing that someone in attendance doesn't agree with or like.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We have felons (even though they've served their time, they are still felons) and some people might not like that, we have thieves (if you've ever stolen anything, even as a youth, you are thief), heck any previous violation of the law (including speeding) makes you a criminal (for life I might add)... and who wants to game with criminals ...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My point is, everyone at the Con without fail has something in their past I could "judge" and decide they should not be allowed to attend (myself included). It's not my place to judge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is a gaming Con for gamers... if everyone arrives as a gamer and games, then what they have done outside our Con, doesn't really matter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Anything not gaming related isn't tolerated, pretty simple.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you don't want to come to NTRPGCon, I don't care, the Con is for Mike & I, be it us and 2 dozen Special Guests or 400+ additional attendees. I will always have the Con, but if people don't want to come, heck we'll move back to the LaQunita and have 50 people... works for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This is all I have to say about the subject, no other post or response from me will occur on the subject.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Doug Rhea[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NTRPGCon.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]P.S. I reserve the right to make edits to this post to correct mistakes in spelling or grammar and/or to clarify statements that people can't comprehend. But nothing will be deleted from this post.[/FONT]

http://ntrpgcon.com/forum/generaldiscussion-2018/221-who-s-allowed-to-come-to-the-con

I've got screen captures in case he does decide to edit and claim he didn't post this.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
So going five kilometres above the speed limit is the same as raping someone? They have to be completely out of touch to honestly believe that.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So going five kilometres above the speed limit is the same as raping someone? They have to be completely out of touch to honestly believe that.
And the objection isn't "why do you let this person come who once did a bad thing?" But rather, "why do you let this person come who might constitute a danger to other attendees based on how they have behaved at other cons?"

This reads like some pretty classic deliberate obtuseness.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
"I refuse to take proactive steps to prevent predictable harm to the people who attend this convention, because that would be way too much effort, and I honestly don't care."

That's what I get out of it.

Shining Dragon

Tough Tiger Fist
Validated User
People who "have a past" and "have a past at game conventions" are different kettles of fish when running a game convention.

Yeah. This guy just does not get what the current furore over the revelations of bad behaviour at game conventions is about.

Captain Toad

Validated User
Yeah, this is totally ridiculous.

"Basically it's like telling me anyone having done anything in the past that I, or you or others don't like or don't agree with must not be allowed at the Con. That being the case, then no one at all would be invited since if I was privy to everyone's past, I am sure I can find some thing that someone in attendance doesn't agree with or like."

Like... come on, man. 'Things I don't agree with is' vastly, massively, insanely different than sexually assaulting people. It's not a political disagreement, it's the firm acknowledgement that dangerous people are dangerous.

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
It's very kind of him to say so, but I suspect he really didn't think that statement through to it's logical conclusion.
The kind of people who will most likely to be attracted by it don't tend to treat anyone doing them favors with respect.

The fact that he's also just totally blown off any claims of 'female or family friendly' to host a 'bad boys' convention isn't doing the ex-cons he claims to be supporting any favors either.

In short, at best it's well meaning but ultimately flawed reasoning, at worst, he's just thrown every potential female gamer who might consider attending under a bus to save his gaming buddies.

cliveklg

Validated User
"I refuse to take proactive steps to prevent predictable harm to the people who attend this convention, because that would be way too much effort, and I honestly don't care."

That's what I get out of it.
What I got also. It's about them not even caring about the basic safety of those attending. And in light of recent shooting and terror attacks, the extreme position of his reply was disturbing also.

To say the least, I doubt the location they are having it, a major hotel would appreciate that or the organizer's comments which are a bit disturbing.

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
Yeah. This guy just does not get what the current furore over the revelations of bad behaviour at game conventions is about.
My impression is that he just doesn't care to get involved in any controversy. He's doing this for fun and anything that takes away from his fun isn't something he's willing to do. I don't personally believe sticking your head in the sand is ever a good idea but I can see why he's doing it.

Honestly, though, sometimes it's better just to say nothing. He probably should have just remained silent rather than make that statement.

Last edited:

Bankuei

Master of Folding Chair
Validated User
"Hey this (unsafe, harmful thing) has happened repeatedly. What is your policy to prevent that at your con?"
"I have no policy and it's ridiculous that you ask I have one. I'll kick people out if they do things that fail to meet my nebulous standard, so, at least you can know if you get assaulted the attacker MIGHT not get to continue playing games that weekend."

With such a simple, well thought out position it's a wonder these things keep happening.

- Chris

Top Bottom