• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[UA3] A Few Questions

amechra

Validated User
So I'm currently in a rather nice place about Unknown Armies 3e - it pushes a lot of my "ooh, I like this" buttons.

However, there are some... points of friction, that I kind of want to resolve before I try and run it.

1) Is there a particular reason that you need five things from each category when performing bruising reality? That seems... kind of excessive to me. I was thinking of dialing that back to five, total, with at least one thing from each of the categories. Can anyone see any problems that might come up, other than "gutter magick will be much easier to use"? I kinda want it to be common (in the OA, at the very least), so that's fine by me.

2) Provides Wound Threshold - I've seen "you get 5 wounds for every 10% you have in the Identity", and I rather like it that way, rather than "replace your Wound Threshold with your Identity".

I might have some other things to ask about, but I'm away from my books at the moment (in another country, actually), so I need to get back home to consult.

amechra

Validated User
[UA3] A Skill System?

This is a really dumb question, but...

A coworker of mine just picked up Unknown Armies 3e on my suggestion, and he's... lukewarm about the Identities. He would have preferred a more traditional skill system.

Would anyone happen to have any ideas in this direction? I'm sure it's just as simple as building a selection of appropriate identities, calling them skills, and calling it a day, but I'm not sure what kind of skills you'd need.

Snoof

Time-Travelling Layabout
RPGnet Member
Validated User
1) Is there a particular reason that you need five things from each category when performing bruising reality? That seems... kind of excessive to me. I was thinking of dialing that back to five, total, with at least one thing from each of the categories. Can anyone see any problems that might come up, other than "gutter magick will be much easier to use"? I kinda want it to be common (in the OA, at the very least), so that's fine by me.
My copy of the book says up to five (page 178 of Book 1: Play). So no, I guess.

Last edited:

Insect King

Mechristopheles!
Validated User
If it makes better sense to allow a gutter magician character to have a magical reusable ring or necklace or have two out of five items because they have greater emotional impact on the people in the ritual, then go for it. Perhaps five is the minimum is your magician needs to make a spell 100% which means each adds 20% to the basic effectiveness of the spell.

2) Provides Wound Threshold - I've seen "you get 5 wounds for every 10% you have in the Identity", and I rather like it that way, rather than "replace your Wound Threshold with your Identity".
For me, a big part of the Unknown Armies ethos was that people have to worry less about fiddly bits on their character sheets so they play can with the least amount of distraction. That said, an identity that increases the Wound rating, increases Wound totals when it increases.

Cheers,

Chris.

Insect King

Mechristopheles!
Validated User
Re: [UA3] A Skill System?

This is a really dumb question, but...

A coworker of mine just picked up Unknown Armies 3e on my suggestion, and he's... lukewarm about the Identities. He would have preferred a more traditional skill system.

Would anyone happen to have any ideas in this direction? I'm sure it's just as simple as building a selection of appropriate identities, calling them skills, and calling it a day, but I'm not sure what kind of skills you'd need.
You need Unknown Armies 2nd edition.

C.

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
Re: [UA3] A Skill System?

UA has always had player-created skills. There were a couple that generally got offered as basics but it was always "make whatever skills you want." The new edition has skills mapped to your mental state and trauma, and user-created identities that act as broad group skillsets. I'd strongly encourage you to just go with what's in the game as is, because you're not going to get anything more visceral or useful out of a fixed skill list outside of what's provided with abilities and identities, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
One thing you might not have realized, too: you don't ever know how many wounds you've taken. The GM keeps track of those.

Cheers,
Cam

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Threads merged. It didn't seem necessary to have one user start two closely related threads on the same system within three minutes of each other.

Top Bottom