Unfinished fanfiction that drives you bonkers

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
You know the thing-- a great series on FF.net. Good characters, smart writing, just what you want... you get to the last chapter and it's not finished. the author says he/she will get too it just as soon as classes are over. You smile.

then you look at the last update date.

2/03/2006.

2006?

Oh $*#*(!!! You realize that you've once again been bitten by that most awful serpant. The "fanfic I liked that is never, ever going to be finished..."

So what are your choices!

Spectralent

Time for octopi
Validated User
Boy, do I know that feeling. Too many to count.

Depressingly I realise I fall into this category, given people have faved some of my old shame fic I desperately want to forget exists.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Way too bloody many of em...

Just going by my faves on Fimfiction gives the so utterly wrong it's hilarious Gilda vs. Knitting (13 months ago since update), the deeply amusing U-Harmony (20 months ago), the best bit of getting inside of Rainbow Dash's head I've seen in So What'll It Be, Dashie? (18 months ago), the sequel to now that is how you do a rule 63 AU properly plus it was going to have more Trixie in it in the On a Whisper of Wind (17 months ago) and most especially THE BALLAD OF TWILIGHT SPARKLE (now just over two years ago... *insert anguished sobs here*)

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
M.McGregor's "The Wonderland Subject". Basically a BtVS/Marvel's Ultimates crossover (Ultimate Reed Richards gave Ultimate SHIELD interdimensional travel tech, and Ultimate Weapon X - who are a SHIELD program in the Ultimate-verse - decided to use this tech to more or less kidnap test subjects across the multiverse who had potential for surviving the Ultimate-verse's Captain America formula...including a one-eyed carpenter who once survived a direct hit from a troll-god's hammer) that is well-written, funny, horrifying, romantic, dramatic...and just stops when it gets really good. Add to this that the author has been, um, more or less missing from the internets ever since then.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Guilty of doing this with my old webcomic. Such a thing can befall any form of serial fiction.

That's why I write short stories these days. Before a single page is uploaded, I type THE END and write an afterword.

I realise it's impossible to make sweeping statements about all fic. But I get the impression that many fanfics are wildly ambitious, extremely long, and often seem to be more about exploration than tight plotting. That's a recipe for perpetually unfinished works. I'm more keen on doing stories that make a point and get out, but that doesn't deliver some of the magnificently deep character studies you get in longer works. What price depth?

Impeesa

Retired User
I was going to link this and chuckle at your 2006, but in verifying that, I noticed two interesting things. The second to last update to the main page was 2005, not far off, and the last was actually just last year. There's a link to a Facebook fan page now, where there were previews of a new chapter as of just a few months ago. Also, oddly enough, I think my spidey-sense was telling me to go dig that up not too long ago, but I must have forgotten about it by the next time I was at the computer, so thanks for the prompt!

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Guilty of doing this with my old webcomic. Such a thing can befall any form of serial fiction.

That's why I write short stories these days. Before a single page is uploaded, I type THE END and write an afterword.

I realise it's impossible to make sweeping statements about all fic. But I get the impression that many fanfics are wildly ambitious, extremely long, and often seem to be more about exploration than tight plotting. That's a recipe for perpetually unfinished works. I'm more keen on doing stories that make a point and get out, but that doesn't deliver some of the magnificently deep character studies you get in longer works. What price depth?
One of the reasons some fanfics end can also be that the author had somewhat less noble motivations. I've seen so many fics that spent fifteen chapters bashing a character (usually unfairly to the degree where Ed-209 would go "Dude, enough already!"), and then when the bashing stopped...so did the fic. Even if the plot was left hanging.

But those generally aren't good fics. :D

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*carefully scoots story she's been struggling to continue behind a curtain*

This is why I almost always filter on 'Status: Complete.' But then, I actively dislike consuming media in little weekly chunks, so I'm not really interested in in-work stuff in the first place.

Last edited:

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
Magic, Lost and Found. It was the best fanfic for the Thor fandom for a while, until it stopped being updated a bit more than a year ago.

Top Bottom