• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Unity-RPG: Anyone played or read it?

Eryops

Level five vegan
Validated User
I clicked on a targeted ad on Facebook yesterday regarding Unity RPG. After downloading the preview, I was intrigued enough to come here, but didn't see any recent threads about it. My first impressions:

- combat looks like it's inspired by 4e. This isn't a selling point for me, but I could live with it.
- sort of steampunky a la Iron Kingdoms(?) which, to me, still has a bit of freshness to it.
- great art
- speaks a lot of non-combat storytelling, but preview leaves that aspect lacking from my brief reading.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions, has anyone dived deeper into it?

VladTaltos

Validated User
The kickstart thread is here:
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?784861-necro-Unity-RPG-Wow-Hey-take-a-look

I've run a short session for my players and am in the planning stages to run a Final Fantasy/RWBY inspired campaign. Character abilities do work a bit like the powers from 4e, but without the weird problems caused by the interaction of powers/feats/magic items. Most of the powers have upgrades that you purchase instead of adding MORE powers to your character sheet, and if you don't like your fighter to have "daily" powers you don't have to take them. There is no skill list, skills work more like in 13th age. I really can't comment on the story side since I'm not planning on using it myself, but it does have a Iron Kingdoms steampunk feel to me like you said. One of my players for the first session played a Roland from the Dark Tower gunslinger that I though was a really nice spin on the Fell Hunter.

SibKhatru

Validated User
The cheesecake is a gross negligence toward us. I find the art disrespectful enough to be a non buy, YMMV.

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
The cheesecake is a gross negligence toward us. I find the art disrespectful enough to be a non buy, YMMV.
I'm still waiting on my hardcopy to actually read the game, but I flipped through my PDF when it released and this is a real issue. It's really frustrating to struggle to find a single depiction of a female character that isn't sexualized.

HidaO-Win

Hida Without Fear
Validated User
Really looking forward to it, an RPG that makes mechanical rigor a focus is always a rare joy. Going to enjoy taking it out for a run.
Really hope we get the Monk influenced archetype soon.

Imaginos

the one you warned me of
Validated User
I’d like to get a copy of the print when it releases. If anyone wants to trade out their copy hit me up.

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
It is definitely frustrating to see so many characters illustrated in awesome action poses [but wearing fetish gear], and so many characters in semi-reasonable costumes [posed to emphasize their sexual characteristics]. Those ones always make me feel, like, you were so close, while stuff like the kneeling Cosplay Deviants model on page 24* just makes me go ugh and flip the page.

I'm still waiting on my hardcopy to actually read the game, but I flipped through my PDF when it released and this is a real issue. It's really frustrating to struggle to find a single depiction of a female character that isn't sexualized.
The paladin-type character at the center of page 5 is pretty good other than her boobplate armor. Same with page 66. I think the mom on page 358 looks pretty cool, too, albeit in a non-action-heroic sort of way.

...I realize that this is proving your point.

*I'm using the actual printed-at-the-bottom page numbering, add +2 to the page numbers for the PDF version.

the cat

Drone
Validated User
So - my impressions are -

Combat is 4e like in that non magic classes get abilities. This appeals to me because I liked 4e.
5e style advantage disadvantage system
2d10 rolls instead of d20
Players roll no GM rolling like in Numenera - intrusions style mechanic
Threat system like in star trek
As mentioned up thread - 13th age style backgrounds
Abstracted out gear and equipment.

bad name- seriously dont name your rpg the same thing as a prominent graphics engine...

Last edited:

Wulfgar22

Validated User
Even putting the cheesecake aside, I saw the cover and it looked a bit naff to me...dated and uninspiring. That and the name. I didn't bother investigating any further.

Top Bottom