• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Unity RPG .....

the cat

Drone
Validated User
Not sure why having fluff is a bad thing these days...

Combat uses range bands so miniatures arent needed.

Players do all the rolling

Gear is abstrscted

Skills are based on backgrounds - very risus/13th age.

You have powers so its like dnd 4.0 with dioblo 3 style meters. Each class has their own currency they generate doing actions. If this is unappealing - its not for you.

The game does need more monsters and class powers IMO.

Uses 2d10 but has advantage disadvantagr syatemm.

I have no idea how to actually interact with the devs to ask about upcoming products outside of facebook...but that aint happening.

Raleel

Validated User
Not sure why having fluff is a bad thing these days...

Combat uses range bands so miniatures arent needed.

Players do all the rolling

Gear is abstrscted

Skills are based on backgrounds - very risus/13th age.

You have powers so its like dnd 4.0 with dioblo 3 style meters. Each class has their own currency they generate doing actions. If this is unappealing - its not for you.

The game does need more monsters and class powers IMO.

Uses 2d10 but has advantage disadvantagr syatemm.

I have no idea how to actually interact with the devs to ask about upcoming products outside of facebook...but that aint happening.
My own view is that it is a blend of 4e/5e/13th age in many ways. Tactical like 4e could be, but with a focus on team efforts. Backgrounds like 13th age. powers like 13th age and 4e. ad/disad like 5e. the setting reminded me of the high fantasy of 13th age.

the cat

Drone
Validated User
My own view is that it is a blend of 4e/5e/13th age in many ways. Tactical like 4e could be, but with a focus on team efforts. Backgrounds like 13th age. powers like 13th age and 4e. ad/disad like 5e. the setting reminded me of the high fantasy of 13th age.
This is a good write up. I think its a blend that could work for me but I really want to know what is next for the line.

VladTaltos

Validated User
I'm running two games using it right now. One using totally mind's eye combat, the other we sometimes use minis. Minis absolutely not required. It really strikes me as a sweet spot between 4e's combat but with more emphasis on teamwork and 13th age, with a dash of 5e. The fluff is nice but I always create my own settings so YMMV. For out of combat the "skills" work like in 13th age, but with one of my groups I did modify a skills list so they had a framework (this particular group is kinda fussy about certain things.) If you want lots of coded bonuses for out of combat stuff probably not your cup of tea.

mattvoid

Yoritomo Tsuma
Validated User
For me it did not quite gel. Fantasy is a pretty crowded place for RPG's and I need something to hook me and pull away form either 5th, or the various OSR stuff I enjoy (the only Fantasty that fits this thats grabbed me recently was forbidden lands, but thats the rules and presentation are basically perfect). I agree with the 13th Age and 4th comparisons, but it didn't really distinguish itself in a way that grabbed me.

J.T.

Validated User
I actually like the fluff it's enough to set the tone and the feel but open enough to allow you to go where you want with it.

I love the character gen system and the simple but straightforward 2d10 roll + modifiers is enough but not in your face and is used for in combat and out of combat so nothing hard to remember

The abstract ranges are nice though I've never used anything like it before so I'll have to see how it plays.

Equipment is handled nicely and you don't have to go through pages of items the resource system for it with gear and necessities is very interesting.

I like the skills system but then I liked it in 13th age

Overall personally I think it's a great game though as people have mentioned above ....more monsters please

VladTaltos

Validated User
I’ve not had it long but can the monsters be modified easily like 13th age? That might be a nice stopgap
Yes, that's what I've been doing. It's very easy to reskin monsters. There are also several more good low level monsters in the Legacy of the Pale King adventure.

Top Bottom