• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Unity RPG .....

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
This is a game that has a lot of neat ideas, yet it's like everything in the game has been limited in its potential.

J.T.

Validated User
Now that I've read the book in so up for playing a game now need to convince friends to try it out

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
I've been really interested in this game because "4E-inspired combat" is the quickest way to get my attention. But I've heard almost nothing about it in detail, especially in terms of how it handles in actual play. It's not super easy to convince my friends to learn a new system at the moment, so I want to be sure it's worth my time before I buy a book and digest it and try to get their buy in...

Maese Mateo

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
We started a Unity game last week. First session was great, my players and I liked it a lot.

J.T.

Validated User
We started a Unity game last week. First session was great, my players and I liked it a lot.
What characters are you playing? Who does the system play at the table?

How does the character class tier abilities work in play?

Maese Mateo

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
What characters are you playing? Who does the system play at the table?

How does the character class tier abilities work in play?
We had our second session yesterday, it went great! :D

Characters are:

* Furian Primalist
* Human Priestess
* Afflicted Phantom

So far the system has played very smooth at the table. I don't have to worry about rolling for anything while my players keep engaged even on enemy turn as they have to make the rolls for Defense and Damage themselves. I'm surprised about how a little synergy between character's Powers allows them to take on enemies stronger than they are even if you go beyond what's recommended by the encounter building rules (I tried to push this once to test just how strong characters are and it went OK for the party).

As a GM I love rolling dice, but on this system I feel I still have a lot of tactical choices to make with my minions that I didn't even notice that I wasn't rolling any dice. I have my fair experience with the Cypher System, and Unity nails a lot better the diceless part of the GM's job. Both for the player choices in Powers and Perks and the GM rules, I think I prefer Unity over the Cypher System overall.

That said, I do agree with the previous poster who said the Unity has a lot of interesting rules and mechanics that haven't reach they full potential yet. I'm guessing this will improve as supplements are released. Still, the game just with the Core Rulebook has a lot to offer.

Something I expanded so far for my game is the idea of Spirit Spark droped by magical constructs or the like introduced in the Legacy of the Pale King adventure. There is an enemy there that if the PCs manage to defeat will drop a consumable item that grants a temporary boost, much like Numenera's cyphers. I enjoyed the idea so I expanded it with some custom effects of my own. So far the players defeated a Fire-wielding iron golem (Elite boss), so I gave them a Fire Primal Spark which allows them to mimic one of the boss' powers (setting its weapon on fire) for a single battle, then it's gone.

VladTaltos

Validated User
I've been really interested in this game because "4E-inspired combat" is the quickest way to get my attention. But I've heard almost nothing about it in detail, especially in terms of how it handles in actual play. It's not super easy to convince my friends to learn a new system at the moment, so I want to be sure it's worth my time before I buy a book and digest it and try to get their buy in...
It has some pros and cons over 4e IMO. I've run games for two groups now and my experience so far is:

Pro:
Players that get stuck with choice paralysis (I had several in 4e, and eventually ended up building essentials characters for some,) can with almost every class build a character with minimal power interaction by using passives or powers on a cooldown. On the flip side it allows for combos with other characters so there is plenty of room for a bit of 4e char-ops synergy. But a big advantage IMO over 4e is removing feats that interact with powers in favor of powers with upgrades. You get new options on your existing toys but without the weird knock on effect that require nerfs to other classes like the Barbarian-Druid issues in 4e.

Cons:
Players are way more squishy at 1st level than in 4e, almost closer to a 1st level 5e character. Also because synergy is expected a group without it with have a hard time unless the DM adjusts. I had one group that really struggled with at level encounters and another group with several tanky front liners that easily dealt with higher level opponents.
I feel like following RAW it's pretty easy to kill off a low level party unlike 4e were I could really take the gloves off. Also monster creation is more of a 3/5e guesswork than 4e's elegant system which is this systems one big disappointment for me. But like 4e it's pretty easy to grab powers for one monster and put it on another to make new enemies quickly. If you have run D&D over the last couple of versions you shouldn't have any real problems with Unity.

Nice idea there Maese Mateo, I may have to steal that!

Maese Mateo

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
As for character Powers, they worked really well so far. Even with powers not specifically designed for synergy you still feel the synergy idea behind them, which as the combat moves on and one becomes more apparent. You have your Phantom wounding an enemy to expose a weakness, the Primalist doing a devastating attack combining a power with one of his animal stances while taking advantage of the weakness exposed by the Phantom, and the Priestess doing damage from afar while also healing her most wounded ally on the same turn (the Priestess' player loved that he could attack and heal on the same turn).

The Recharge mechanic comes a lot more often than I was expecting, so players will be juiced up most of the time (the Priestess in particular took an Overdrive Powers with allows her to regain 6 points of Faith as a free action, and so far the player has been using this ability very effectively to deal damage, regain healing power then healing his fellow PCs when the situation was dire).

My main worry as a GM was that Elites looked really powerful when compared to PCs of the same Level on paper, but as they fought their first Elite I saw that thanks to the synergy between their Powers, they can take down enemies much stronger than they are with epic results.

Overall, both my players and me as the GM are really having a blast with this game. I can't wait for them to Level up (Lv1 still) and see what they will be able to do as the game goes on.

Maese Mateo

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
Players are way more squishy at 1st level than in 4e, almost closer to a 1st level 5e character. Also because synergy is expected a group without it with have a hard time unless the DM adjusts. I had one group that really struggled with at level encounters and another group with several tanky front liners that easily dealt with higher level opponents.
I agree. Character builds may change the scales drastically. The more synergy between the PCs, the stronger enemies they can take at lowers levels, which is why I'm guessing Unity wants you to build your characters as a group experience rather than individually (the more you know about your fellow PCs abilities, the more tactical choices you can make when choosing your Powers). For example, in my game, thanks to both the Priestess' healing power and the Primalist taking a healing power, they can last A LOT in combat against strong enemies.

Nice idea there Maese Mateo, I may have to steal that!
Of course! Give it a try and tell me how it works.

Something else I'm considering to introduce eventually (but I'm not sure yet) is the D&D 4's Ritual mechanic. Allowing PCs to learn non-combat oriented Rituals for flavor. I feel the game as presented in the Core Rulebook is heavily combat oriented (which isn't bad, I think the game does combat really well), and it needs more non-combat roleplaying powers for the PCs to use, like a ritual to build a magical shelter or the abilty to send a message over a long distance. Maybe I'll make these Class-based consumables so they can't be exploited (scrolls for the Mystic, holy relics that unleash divine effects when broken for the Priest, Drift Stones for the Driftwalker, etc).

J.T.

Validated User
As for character Powers, they worked really well so far. Even with powers not specifically designed for synergy you still feel the synergy idea behind them, which as the combat moves on and one becomes more apparent. You have your Phantom wounding an enemy to expose a weakness, the Primalist doing a devastating attack combining a power with one of his animal stances while taking advantage of the weakness exposed by the Phantom, and the Priestess doing damage from afar while also healing her most wounded ally on the same turn (the Priestess' player loved that he could attack and heal on the same turn).

The Recharge mechanic comes a lot more often than I was expecting, so players will be juiced up most of the time (the Priestess in particular took an Overdrive Powers with allows her to regain 6 points of Faith as a free action, and so far the player has been using this ability very effectively to deal damage, regain healing power then healing his fellow PCs when the situation was dire).

My main worry as a GM was that Elites looked really powerful when compared to PCs of the same Level on paper, but as they fought their first Elite I saw that thanks to the synergy between their Powers, they can take down enemies much stronger than they are with epic results.

Overall, both my players and me as the GM are really having a blast with this game. I can't wait for them to Level up (Lv1 still) and see what they will be able to do as the game goes on.
This sounds like great fun I'd love to play a sentinel I've just read kings of the wylde by Nicholas Eames and there's a guy in there called clay who only uses a shield as a weapon .....by the way if anyone gets a chance read the book it's hilarious and reads like a d&d adventure :)

Top Bottom