Vampire 5e [+]

axl666

Validated User
Hi,

I'd like to make a + thread for Vampire 5E. I'm really looking forward to the game but don't know much about it.
What setting changes will there be, how many books (how many pages in each book), what are the clans in the game
etc. Basically what do we know at the moment.

Thanks!

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
The first 3 books are the Core Rules, Camarilla and Anarch sourcebooks, pagecount unknown to me.

Setting changes that have been mentioned (VERY abridged version, only what I recall off the top of my head): Camarilla crumbling; Sabbat off to the East (Asia or ME, apparently) for some Elder War; Anarchs on the rise in opposition to the Cam; many, many mortal institutions and agencies know of and hunt after vampires, keyword Second Inquistion.

Probably the same clans as before, maybe with different sect alignments.

Last edited:

elmerg

Validated User
*deeeeeeeeeep breath*

In general strokes?
  • 5th Edition plans for a 'streamlined core' with things specific to those games being printed in those games. First books are core, Camarilla and Anarch.
  • Vampire 5th Edition (or V5) will use Beckett's Jyhad Diary as a jumping off point for the new metaplot. BJD has some neat plugs about 16th Generation Thin Bloods, for example, and contains the ever-present Grave War thread leading into the 'big thing' for V5. In BJD, there's a lot of various plot threads, involving Beckett speaking with and interviewing a lot of different vampires for Jyhad knowledge. I haven't read it all, but the overarching plot is Beckett looking for/investigatng a Book of Nod-esque tome called the Book of the Grave-War, a text that details how the rising of elders heralds Gehenna. Ties heavily into what's going on with Elders in the game.
  • V5 draw back the focus more to the street level. There has been a Beckoning of most Elders to the Middle East to fight in the Gehenna War. Some Elders have resisted by gorging themselves on blood, or been killed or diablerized. The Sabbat, some time ago, followed this beckoning and flood of elders to the Middle East and have their fingers in many conflicts, using them as cover for their activities in the area. The Gehenna Crusade is what the Sabbat call their activities in the Middle East to destroy the waking Antediluvians. They plan to eliminate the ancients once and for all, and are roughly out of the main stage of the game. The stage of 'elder conflict' has become the War for the Graves of the Antediluvians (there's some fluff talk about how such ancient blood is still potent and useful for vampires, even if it's just 'stored' rather than taken from a living vampire).
  • The vampires are undergoing a Second Inquisition, which is spurred by a govenmental organized purge, even beyond the activities of Project Twilight. It's apparently very brutal and effective. A lot of the Second Inquisition, based on how the plots ran in Berlin, seem to be spurred by Anarchs fucking up, terror-bombing the Camarilla and drawing attention of the ABC organizations. There was some early-mention of the Technocracy being involved but this has not been referenced since. The pre-alpha scenario from WoD Berlin is explicit in it being a 'turning point' in the Anarchs fucking up by terror-bombing the Camarilla and drawing more government attention than just 'dead bodies walking around'. By Berlin, I mean the pre-alpha playtest that was run at WoD Berlin fan convention. It was stated at one point that it's a pivotal event for V5's canon (this may have changed, however, but we won't know for a while).
  • In the aftermath of the Second Inquisition starting up, the Camarilla cut loose or, in many cases, eliminated many Anarchs (and anarchs, notice the lower-case, and think about 1e Masquerade!), giving them free reign but demanding they follow the First Tradition. Through this, the Camarilla has become the 'secret society/old boys club' angle, and you have to earn your way into it. Anarchs have been exiled from the Camarilla, along with Caitiff and thin-bloods. A new emphasis on the masquerade. City hierarchies are even more drastic. In the face of these challenges, Kindred society goes dark — vampire cities become more isolated, and there's a slow reversion to Dark Ages traditions.

Some of this may have changed, but a lot of it is hinted at or outright stated from within Beckett's Jyhad Diary. From Beckett's Jyhad Diary, we also have a number of plot threads that may be followed up on (I can summarize some of the more poignant ones if you like, but we don't know if any of them will be referenced in V5 directly).

Last edited:

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I ran a couple of lengthy VtDA / DA:V campaigns, did plenty of LARP, and played a few games of regular VtM back in the day. I stepped away from it for twenty years, but liked what I heard of the intervening years.

Probably wouldn't have bought back in with 5e, maybe read a PDF or two, but definitely had a general interest in the new hotness.

But with Ken Hite at the helm? That guy is Midas, so I'm absolutely on board, at least for the the initial launch products.

Stone-Tharp

Validated User
*deeeeeeeeeep breath*

In general strokes?
  • 5th Edition plans for a 'streamlined core' with things specific to those games being printed in those games. First books are core, Camarilla and Anarch.
  • Vampire 5th Edition (or V5) will use Beckett's Jyhad Diary as a jumping off point for the new metaplot. BJD has some neat plugs about 16th Generation Thin Bloods, for example, and contains the ever-present Grave War thread leading into the 'big thing' for V5. In BJD, there's a lot of various plot threads, involving Beckett speaking with and interviewing a lot of different vampires for Jyhad knowledge. I haven't read it all, but the overarching plot is Beckett looking for/investigatng a Book of Nod-esque tome called the Book of the Grave-War, a text that details how the rising of elders heralds Gehenna. Ties heavily into what's going on with Elders in the game.
  • V5 draw back the focus more to the street level. There has been a Beckoning of most Elders to the Middle East to fight in the Gehenna War. Some Elders have resisted by gorging themselves on blood, or been killed or diablerized. The Sabbat, some time ago, followed this beckoning and flood of elders to the Middle East and have their fingers in many conflicts, using them as cover for their activities in the area. The Gehenna Crusade is what the Sabbat call their activities in the Middle East to destroy the waking Antediluvians. They plan to eliminate the ancients once and for all, and are roughly out of the main stage of the game. The stage of 'elder conflict' has become the War for the Graves of the Antediluvians (there's some fluff talk about how such ancient blood is still potent and useful for vampires, even if it's just 'stored' rather than taken from a living vampire).
  • The vampires are undergoing a Second Inquisition, which is spurred by a govenmental organized purge, even beyond the activities of Project Twilight. It's apparently very brutal and effective. A lot of the Second Inquisition, based on how the plots ran in Berlin, seem to be spurred by Anarchs fucking up, terror-bombing the Camarilla and drawing attention of the ABC organizations. There was some early-mention of the Technocracy being involved but this has not been referenced since. The pre-alpha scenario from WoD Berlin is explicit in it being a 'turning point' in the Anarchs fucking up by terror-bombing the Camarilla and drawing more government attention than just 'dead bodies walking around'. By Berlin, I mean the pre-alpha playtest that was run at WoD Berlin fan convention. It was stated at one point that it's a pivotal event for V5's canon (this may have changed, however, but we won't know for a while).
  • In the aftermath of the Second Inquisition starting up, the Camarilla cut loose or, in many cases, eliminated many Anarchs (and anarchs, notice the lower-case, and think about 1e Masquerade!), giving them free reign but demanding they follow the First Tradition. Through this, the Camarilla has become the 'secret society/old boys club' angle, and you have to earn your way into it. Anarchs have been exiled from the Camarilla, along with Caitiff and thin-bloods. A new emphasis on the masquerade. City hierarchies are even more drastic. In the face of these challenges, Kindred society goes dark — vampire cities become more isolated, and there's a slow reversion to Dark Ages traditions.

Some of this may have changed, but a lot of it is hinted at or outright stated from within Beckett's Jyhad Diary. From Beckett's Jyhad Diary, we also have a number of plot threads that may be followed up on (I can summarize some of the more poignant ones if you like, but we don't know if any of them will be referenced in V5 directly).
I've not been terribly impressed by nuWW to date (their handling of the Zak S. situation, the pre-alpha playtest scenaro that was a complete mess, etc...). But from a high level metaplot POV? I have to say that I actually kind of like this direction. Street level, level direct PC involvement in world-spanning conspiracies, more localized, isolated, and Dark Ages-inspired heirarchy all sounds good to me. As long as it doesn't turn to require buying into Mage-based Technocracy stuff to make sense of the Second Inquisition and as long as they dial back the worst of their edgelord instincts, I might actually be into this

elmerg

Validated User
I've not been terribly impressed by nuWW to date (their handling of the Zak S. situation, the pre-alpha playtest scenaro that was a complete mess, etc...). But from a high level metaplot POV? I have to say that I actually kind of like this direction. Street level, level direct PC involvement in world-spanning conspiracies, more localized, isolated, and Dark Ages-inspired heirarchy all sounds good to me. As long as it doesn't turn to require buying into Mage-based Technocracy stuff to make sense of the Second Inquisition and as long as they dial back the worst of their edgelord instincts, I might actually be into this
Zak S. isn't on the credits for V5. So there's no worries there.
The alpha playtest is day compared to the night of the pre-alpha. Further development time (and a longer development cycle) seems to have seen to that.
The Technocracy thing was mentioned in the first teaser, and has subsequently not been mentioned, so I doubt that it'll be mandatory at all.

I feel like a lot of the hate people are throwing around about V5 comes from not bothering to follow information that's come out since, especially since the alpha was like day to the pre-alpha's night.

Last edited:

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So is "The Masquerade" still in effect, or have vampires pretty much been outed? The pre-alpha thing made it sound like there were not-so-secret police openly hunting vampires in many places, vampire detection devices in the airports, and the like. Stuff that would be hard to justify to the population, if the population mostly didn't believe in vampires.

My Vampire campaigns have been mostly informed by the 1st edition, so I'm not actually that familiar with the greater metaplot and this all seems very different to me.

That said, I'm assuming they're not proceeding from The Time of Judgement: Gehenna ;)

elmerg

Validated User
That all sounds pretty cool, like a more interesting V:tR.

Is there any hint what the independents are up to in V5? Are the Ravnos still extinct?
Assuming the follow up will continue on from what was written in BJD, the Ravnos are alive and well; they aren't extinct but they certainly aren't as big as they were. BJD talks a lot about the Ravnos in an India-centric manner (seems like they stripped out the Roma aspect of it), and the fact that they're preparing for an internal civil war, headed by a banished Methuselah on the external side, and two other methuselahs (including Hazimel, who got his damn eye back, thanks Beckett!) in with the rest of the Ravnos castes in the Ravnos hierarchy.

Giovanni are still doing their Giovanni thing. The spirit of Cappadocius may actually be flying around now though, there's some stuff in BJD that involves something claiming to be it.

There's some interesting plot points in BJD involving the True Brujah and the Baali and Carthage that I hope get expanded on in V5.

But we really don't know; a lot of this is conjecture and 'if it's this way in BJD, which is the bridge, I hope it's expanded on in V5'. At least for me.

A lot of the bloodlines are covered in a single chapter, where a DoC is hosting a big party for other bloodlines, and it implies they may be organizing together in some manner, but using their own connections individually. So I'd say it's going to be par for the course there.

Samedi and Serpents of the Light were at war in Haiti, or in some sort of state of conflict.

I'd have to go back and reread parts of BJD, it's been a couple months since I finished it.

So is "The Masquerade" still in effect, or have vampires pretty much been outed? The pre-alpha thing made it sound like there were not-so-secret police openly hunting vampires in many places, vampire detection devices in the airports, and the like. Stuff that would be hard to justify to the population, if the population mostly didn't believe in vampires.

My Vampire campaigns have been mostly informed by the 1st edition, so I'm not actually that familiar with the greater metaplot and this all seems very different to me.

That said, I'm assuming they're not proceeding from The Time of Judgement: Gehenna ;)
They're not outed to the public, from what has been said in things directly about V5's setting. The ABC government agencies know about them based on what we know from the various materials that directly address V5, and I assume those plus the church Inquisition are comboing up. And no, V5 seems to be ignoring anything that was written for Gehenna; particularly, all the Gehenna hints we've gotten in BJD and V5 point to a more 1e style 'cyclical Gehenna' where old vampires rise, lots of vampires die, and the cycle begins anew (IIRC there's a passage in BJD that talks about survivors becoming the new antediluvians in someone's theory about how Gehenna functions).

The Masquerade is still greatly in effect; the stuff that's been written talks aboiut the Camarilla cutting off the Anarchs from their society, and telling them to uphold the Masquerade and actively dealilng with those that don't. The Camarilla still upholds it, they expect Anarchs to uphold it (and apparently, from the way some things were written, come down on those who don't like vampire secret police). So it'll be interesting to see their new dynamic.

Last edited:

Angel of the Dawn

Validated User
Damn it. This might be interesting after all. *grumbles*

I'll still have to wait and see before I'm willing to put money down for this. But based on just this thread, I've gone from "no way" to "well, maybe." If nothing else, it might be a useful idea mine for my own Vampire hack.

Top Bottom