• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Vampire 5th ed, Camarilla & Anarch Guides

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've got friends asking about V5, I'm on the fence. Interesting mechanics tied to some baffling world building.

Now that the world books are out, how edgetastic are things?
Any news on the Sabbat?

Are the "missing" disciplines in either?

I'm leaning towards telling them to stick with V20, but wanted to ask as I'm seeing weird reports on Facebook.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
Everyone I've heard from who read them is telling me that they're super-edgetastic and also very bad.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Everyone I've heard from who read them is telling me that they're super-edgetastic and also very bad.
Mrpht. Was hoping for better.
Anything aside from the "totally not the sabbat" faction is actually responsible for this ongoing genocide?

Skaorn

Validated User
Disappointing, but I really can't bring myself back to straight oWoD. Looking back on it now, there are just several bad ideas.

Se Lallero

Banned
There are many choices made in the overall setting that are... weird.
Some good stuff that not everybody will like:
the game run faster, much faster and it is focused more in storytelling, it is elastic enough to let the storyteller strech it if he needs to do it
hunger system, you don't spend vitae to do blood stuff but you risk to raise your hunger level (1-5, to going down to 0 you have to kill a human being)
lesser disciplines
it is more focused on survival

other important thing:
there is more space for thin-bloods
Assamites entered Camarilla because yes, they have blood sorcery (with "quietus rituals")

The writing is much more simpler, you may like it or not.

Weird stuff:
Well, they added some stuff that looks like... out of the context. It doesn't really fit with VtM setting IMHO. Those themes are persistent, I'll put an extract so you can understand what I mean.

Rand Brittain

RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
The idea that Brujah would be antifa is honestly pretty obvious because that's the kind of thing they've always been about.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Well, they added some stuff that looks like... out of the context. It doesn't really fit with VtM setting IMHO. Those themes are persistent, I'll put an extract so you can understand what I mean.

Moderator Text:

Instead of hiding behind snide "wink wink nudge nudge knowwhatimean" insinuations, why don't you spell it out?

You may respond with your explanation to this redtext this time.

Solar

Validated User
That writing seems pretty ham-fisted but not exactly objectionable, unless it's supposed to be a parody attacking SJWs?

Rand Brittain

RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
That writing seems pretty ham-fisted but not exactly objectionable, unless it's supposed to be a parody attacking SJWs?
I don't think it's an attack on social justice as such, although it probably is a parody.

The thing about Brujah is that they've always been "the social justice vampires," who want to make society better. Their narrative hook is that they're torn between being dark, edgy, gothic-punk crusaders for a more just world, and the fact that they tragically can never achieve this just world because they're bloodthirsty parasites and they're always five seconds away from letting their rage and hunger loose on a rampage. Portraying them correctly is about keeping those two aspects of them in balance.

Historically White Wolf has failed at portraying them because they have a strong bias in favor of dark, edgy, punk rock warriors and that inevitably tips the scales until they fall off and start taking their pretensions too seriously even when they try not to. Paradox White Wolf seems to have this trait even more strongly than the genuine article did.

Last edited:

Se Lallero

Banned

Moderator Text:

Instead of hiding behind snide "wink wink nudge nudge knowwhatimean" insinuations, why don't you spell it out?

You may respond with your explanation to this redtext this time.
A vampire character like that is totally out of place. There is a second inquisition destroying half of the vampires and he has time to do this kind of stuff?
Go openly in the same clubs he went when he was a mortal, hang out with mortals etc?
How can he still be alive?
An NPC like that could be a secondary character in a story where he dies badly, not a primary character. It totally kills the mood.

Top Bottom