• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Vampire 5th ed, Camarilla & Anarch Guides

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I saw an article indicating the Chechnyan government was considering suing over it - I have absolutely zero idea of how meaningful or realistic a threat that is, but it is, perhaps, the sort of thing that might make Paradox Interactive take sharp notice of events and step in more directly.

(The original article about the Chechen Republic's response that the other articles seem to be drawing from is in Russian, but there's some stuff in English about it - I'll try and track down the one I saw earlier when browsing the social media ripples from this)

Edit: Apologies if anyone mentioned this on the thread already - I'm having a hard time with the new UI after the forum upgrade.
Given European defamation law, yes. Mostly because they specifically said the current dictator is a vampire and under control of others.

If they'd created a totally !current dictator they'd be in better shape.

Of course, they'd have to sue through various other channels because I'm pretty sure most of the current regime is wanted for questioning.

But they can still sue in Russian court, and the Russian government has proven that they really donj't care about the purge.

Snumpus

Validated User
If this means Onyx Path will pretty much be doing the WoD themselves with some rubber-stamping from Paradox, like the CCP and WoD20 arrangement, then this is terrific news. nuWolf had passed the point of salvageability, so I am glad that the transition is happening before any more WoD5 content gets made that Onyx Path would later be shackled to -- as it stands, at least they can work with a clean slate as regards Werewolf, Mage, and any other lines that'll be making their return. I am sorry for anyone not involved in the creation of the objectionable content who may have lost employment as a result of this, though.

Deadite

Writer of APs
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I saw someone say that some author (Rein Hagen?) initially wrote the Chechnya section, but that then an editor almost completely rewrote it into the garbage fire that it is now.
If it;s the same things I saw, that someone is Rein Hagen desperately trying to claim he didn’t write the horrible material, after initially confirming he did, then trying to claim an uncredited third party writer must have done it, then moving onto defending it against others because they don’t get his, uh, he means uncredited anonymous author’s brilliance, and now decrying WW as ‘defanging’ vampire while refusing to acknowledge his key part in it.

Palp

Validated User
Re: Kindred fashion and the disconnect between the various art pieces and the text; I think it’s implied that one version is vampire street clothing, the other what they wear in Elysium. The black all the time street wear is so they blend in with the norms. The ermine, robes and bondage gear look is apparently meant to be a nod to the LARP community, in the sense that this is how kindred apparently dress when the mortals aren’t around. Not that I’ll be using it in my games, except for representing very young and stupid kindred with a death wish, or older vampires slowly beginning to crumble under the weight of centuries.
Actually from, what I recall the clan spread art pieces (The ones that seemed to be from someone who would only draw one body type.), are concept art form the WOD mmorpg that was in development. I guess WW wanted to use it as some form of homage. Bad idea.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
If it;s the same things I saw, that someone is Rein Hagen desperately trying to claim he didn’t write the horrible material, after initially confirming he did, then trying to claim an uncredited third party writer must have done it, then moving onto defending it against others because they don’t get his, uh, he means uncredited anonymous author’s brilliance, and now decrying WW as ‘defanging’ vampire while refusing to acknowledge his key part in it.
Yeah... I believe Phipps when he says he’s reporting what the author of the Chechnya section told him. I just don’t know that I believe that person, since it looks like Rein-Hagen did it, and he’s been totally weird about the whole thing. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it was a mistake to bring him on in the first place. I get that he was the main creator of Vampire back in the day, but he’s a pretty different person now, and it’s not his baby anymore and hasn’t been for a very long time. If he’s the sort of person who can’t help voicing odious opinions and doing stuff to tarnish the brand, then having a nice nostalgic reunion isn’t a good enough reason to have him on board.

And now that I think about it, if it really was Rein-Hagen, that might explain why they rubber-stamped it. They really shouldn’t have, but they probably have more respect for him than they ought to.

Skiorht

Despair Shouter
Validated User
But they can still sue in Russian court, and the Russian government has proven that they really donj't care about the purge.
There is no need for any real case in courts. All it takes is a decision to classify White Wolf (or more likely Paradox) as a hostile foreign agent. It's a purely administrative effort, and would place anyone in Russia having dealings with them open to many types of nasty consequences. It's a thing that's routinely done to NGOs, but it's been used against foreign businesses previously.

Top Bottom