• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a + thread. I've not much to add there.

So..... anyone else feel like the SI are the main characters and you're just extras in thier story?

Loresheets are neat, but there's just a wyrd disconnect between "fast and loose" coupled with "unexpected crunch" that feels very 90s and 'classic' WW, and not in a good way.

I'm not sure who this is really for, but the tone gives me Cartman flashbacks.

The Last Conformist

Incompletely useless
Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

Probably a momentary lapse of memory on my part, but what's "SI"? None of the expansions I can think of seems to make sense here ...

ETA: Second Inquisition?

Last edited:

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User

The Second Inquisition isn't an organisation, it's an umbrella term used by vampires to refer to the new mortal efforts against them; including disparate and unconnected organisations.

I think that it is a neat solution to shake up what I feel had become a somewhat stale and turgid setting.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User

It does sort of kill the whole idea of the masquerade though.

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User

I've only had the book a couple of days, but I don't think so.

The Masquerade has been breached, but only in respect of certain organisations; there is no widespread knowledge of vampires amongst the public.

The fact that it acknowledges and confronts the silliness of an impenetrable Masquerade in today's surveillance-blanketed society is a welcome addition, for me.

gribble

Validated User

How so? There have *always* been organised groups of hunters in the WoD who know "the truth". They just had their own reasons for preserving the Masquerade. There is no reason to think the Second Inquisition would be any different (and from what we know in V5, clearly they aren't).

Tonbo_Karasu

Validated User

I suppose it depends on how widespread knowledge is. If 99% of humans are still safely kept behind the Masquerade of vampire society, that still leaves an awful lot of people able to be the SI. Remember, there were hunters (small h, before the setting) back in previous editions.

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User

I suppose it depends on how widespread knowledge is. If 99% of humans are still safely kept behind the Masquerade of vampire society, that still leaves an awful lot of people able to be the SI. Remember, there were hunters (small h, before the setting) back in previous editions.
Not to mention Technocrats who as early as The Guide to the Technocracy were just beginning to realize how pervasive blood-drinking reality deviants really are.

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User

I had the opportunity to look through an exemplar with a friend. I like the loresheets (as a concept, individual loresheets in the book are hit or miss for me). I find the layout leaves me cold, including most of the art, but it doesn't drive me away, either.

But...

The Second Inquisition? It makes no sense.

And worse, it forces me to expect utterly dumb behavior from players to make the most basic concept (Coterie) work because I can't imagine one reason why a vampire who knows of the SI would willingly associate with 2 to 4 other people, every one of which could currently be compromised and lead a Van helsing SWAT team to my haven. Vampire gatherings of any sort, any form of society and hierarchy? It just doesn't work, at all.

RAM

Validated User

My problem is that I want to like the game (no copy in my hands yet), but what I read about it fails to appeal. It has gone from a "must buy" to a " well maybe but why".

Last edited:
Top Bottom