[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

MarkK

Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

In what way does the existence of V5 force anybody out of V20 or even earlier editions?

I suspect that there is a distinct possibility that eventually support for the *20 lines dry up or nuWW terminate the license, but for the moment V5 does not impact past editions. If there is a mass movement to abandon V20 for V5 from players, that is the life cycle of games. Not that I currently expect such to happen, but we will see.

Don't get me wrong, I have a long list of things that will permanently preclude me from ever being a nuWW customer, but this claim seems unfounded.

When a new edition of a game hits, it tends to become the default baseline for gaming in that game in short enough order.

Especially for people who increasingly find online as the venue in which they can do rpg stuff, where when gathering a group of what are often otherwise functional strangers for the purposes of gaming, the least complicated and thereby most likely thing to do is use the latest edition of that game as the chances are most people are aware of/bought.

Particularly when otherwise you get stuff like facebook posts or statements or the like from people who weren't even aware VtM still existed until now, Vampire 5 has a pretty good shot at being the edition that is going to stick in people's minds and thus, the edition that will ultimately see the most use.

For people looking to play.. not that version of Vampire, the options for doing so shrink.

And given that the game will be successful just fine with the audience and preferences that it is targeting, well, I doubt NuWhiteWolf particularly cares about that sort of thing, but it certainly reinforces that V5 is something of a "get out of the fanbase" edition for people who enjoyed all the things about VtM that V5 goes out of its way to, at best, make a huge uphill struggle to do.

edit: and yeah, as noted, V20 is over, ontop of that.

Last edited:

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User

V20 lines has been closed to make space for V5. There will never been any more V20 books.

This is from Matthew Dawkins

So yes, I have been forced out.
I had missed that.

How very disappointing.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. In that case, your point is quite valid.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User

Must be a weird position for OPP......being beholden to WW cos they own the IP.

The very popular 20 lines are being shut down to make way for a system and setting that look a lot like CofD which OPP still supports. And OPP will be putting out V5 products for NuWW as well.

I mean its fine for NuWW to take whatever they want as they own both IPs....just not sure its going to be easy for OPP to support both V5 and CofD going forward if parts of what made Requiem different keep getting cannabalized for the larger property.

Super nervous about my favourite game ( WtA) now.....tribes stripped out? "transmission"by bite? one tone spirit world? no garou nation?....all possibilities now...

Wild_Archon

Validated User

The very popular 20 lines are being shut down to make way for a system and setting that look a lot like CofD which OPP still supports. And OPP will be putting out V5 products for NuWW as well.

I mean its fine for NuWW to take whatever they want as they own both IPs....just not sure its going to be easy for OPP to support both V5 and CofD going forward if parts of what made Requiem different keep getting cannabalized for the larger property.

Super nervous about my favourite game ( WtA) now.....tribes stripped out? "transmission"by bite? one tone spirit world? no garou nation?....all possibilities now...
As I remember the McGuffin for WtA would have been the second Impergium.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User

As I remember the McGuffin for WtA would have been the second Impergium.
...how is that going to work with "our world but darker?"

"And today in the news Casper Wyoming died and no one knows why. But first Bill with the weather!"

Jenna Moran

Validated User

Loresheets were a distinctive design element and bad on the Vampire publishers for not acknowledging that Jenna came up with them.

It's a professional courtesy and another strike against this game.

As I said higher in thread, I'm a fan of what I'm reading, I'm not sitting here trying to tear down the game.
Both the term and the core inspiration for WotG's loresheets came from the LARP "From Light to Darkness," run by Neil Laughlin, anyway. Each session he provided loresheets---often purely mechanical, often purely informational, often both---to those whose characters had the ability to research the relevant data between sessions. Tracing it back from there, the idea of researched lore appears to have evolved from the SIL/Assassin Guild-style faction lore, with some evolutionary contributions from Kiva Maginn and others.

I had to adapt significantly to make them fit a RPG for multiple groups rather than a specific game, but I think it's fine not to credit me.

Best wishes,

Jenna

axl666

Validated User

The way I'd look at it is that Requiem was the next edition of Vampire at the time- basically Vampire 4th edition. Now that we have Vampire 5th edition
I'd be a bit surprised if Requiem wasn't fully superseded. It's too similar to V5 and it doesn't make full sense to me to be putting out supplements for
games that are very similar to one another.

I have to say that everything I've heard about V5 makes me very enthusiastic about the game. The artwork and presentation seems excellent and so do the ideas in the game. The writing might be a bit off in places but at the same time a lot of the writing also seems excellent. V20 was great- but there also wasn't anything new in it. If you had all the supplements for revised you had everything in V20. V5 is doing something new.

Last edited:

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User

but how about that Nosferatu photo with text describing the clan weakness and how inhuman they are and the art is....just some black dude.
Is this the picture you are referring to? If so I'd have to say that personally I think describing it as "just some black dude" is pretty disingenuous

Last edited:

IanWatson

Pharos
Validated User

The way I'd look at it is that Requiem was the next edition of Vampire at the time- basically Vampire 4th edition. Now that we have Vampire 5th edition
I'd be a bit surprised if Requiem wasn't fully superseded. It's too similar to V5 and it doesn't make full sense to me to be putting out supplements for
games that are very similar to one another.
Requiem has never been seen as a new edition of Masquerade. Not by either iteration of White Wolf, and not by Onyx Path.

There are no current plans to cease production of Vampire: The Requiem in favour of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom