[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

Catulle

Black Rabbit of Inle
Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

Requiem has never been seen as a new edition of Masquerade. Not by either iteration of White Wolf, and not by Onyx Path.
When Masquerade ceased production and Requiem came out on its coattails, right down to basically unchanged nomenclature, that was definitely the way we players looked at it. I don't think that's a bell that can be unrung.

Last edited:

Shining Dragon

Tough Tiger Fist
Validated User

Is this the picture you are referring to? If so I'd have to say that personally I think describing it as "just some black dude" is pretty disingenuous
I think the illustration being referred to is the one at the beginning of the Nosferatu's clan description. This is at the end.

BTW this actually illustrates one of the peeves I have with VTM5 - no consistency with the illustrations used in clan spreads. Some are photos, others are not.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User

I think the illustration being referred to is the one at the beginning of the Nosferatu's clan description. This is at the end.

BTW this actually illustrates one of the peeves I have with VTM5 - no consistency with the illustrations used in clan spreads. Some are photos, others are not.
Well that is the one beside the description of them being inhuman and the one at the start of the Nosferatu chapter seems even less like "some black dude" Perhaps they meant the "sample characters" drawings?

Last edited:

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User

Off the pics shown:

Angry old man with bad dentures and sad guy with glasses doesn't really scream Nosferatu to me. I mean I recognise them as Nosferatu because well I've been to LARPs and thats about the makeup standard that you get for Nossies but their kinda lacklustre.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User

When Masquerade ceased production and Requiem came out on its coattails, right down to basically unchanged nomenclature, that was definitely the way we players looked at it. I don't think that's a bell that can be unrung.
Well, some players at least.

It wasn't really 4th Ed in the way V20 is, it was obviously trying to do its own thing but for some reason felt the need to carry too much of another gameline over.

I guess in a way V5 is what people thought VtR was.....maybe? Only not as well done....

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User

Off the pics shown:

Angry old man with bad dentures and sad guy with glasses doesn't really scream Nosferatu to me. I mean I recognise them as Nosferatu because well I've been to LARPs and thats about the makeup standard that you get for Nossies but their kinda lacklustre.
I think the makeups well done, but I dont really like photo stuff. But the quality of the pictures aside they arent "This guys inhuman because he's black" which is quite clearly what the initial poster was implying the book was portraying.

Glitterbomber

Validated User

I actually rather like when Nossies are focused on 'they just look...off...something about them is unsettling and their features are...wrong' and not 'lol look at this deformed freak'. That can work at times, but it's much more 'realistic' to me when it's more like 'yea that old guy with the weird teeth is just kinda...unsettling. Maybe he's just some poor old dude having trouble...or maybe not...'

Top Bottom