• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

I think the makeups well done, but I dont really like photo stuff. But the quality of the pictures aside they arent "This guys inhuman because he's black" which is quite clearly what the initial poster was implying the book was portraying.
I'm 90% sure that was a reference to the Nossie 'fashion plates' which are basically just people.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I like the nosferatu photo illustrations shown here. The artists did a good job of making them look realistic but unnervingly uncanny. The one facing the mirror has done some interesting contortions with the hand which I think are simple turnings but which look painfully twisted. I think there may be some photomanipulation of skin textures in it, but if so it’s done with a light and inobvious touch. And the black and white portrait is moody, contemplative, and just wrong enough to look disquieting.

I confess I was doubtful of the wisdom of using photo illustrations, but these look well composed and atmospheric.

The illustrations of White Wolf’s games have historically been a mixed bag, to put it mildly. So far the visuals in this new edition look crisp and professional.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User

The illustrations of White Wolf’s games have historically been a mixed bag, to put it mildly. So far the visuals in this new edition look crisp and professional.
So true, SCAR (IIRC) was to Werewolf illustrations as Liefield is to comic illustration.

Last edited:

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User

There was an artist getting a lot of work in V:tM Revised who somehow insisted on giving almost any character a facial tattoo. Christopher, I believe.

Barghest

Retired from being Used
Validated User

There was an artist getting a lot of work in V:tM Revised who somehow insisted on giving almost any character a facial tattoo. Christopher, I believe.
Christopher Shy, who gave every sample NPC picture in the Guide to the Camarilla an elaborate Celtic knotwork facial tattoo, from the Anarch right up to the Primogen and Prince. It was absurd.

He also made some really questionable artistic decisions for Mage Revised. (Because nothing says Celestial Chorus like shotguns and powerered armor.)

But hey, at least he never produced an image of Punky Brewster, Scourge of God, riding around on her unicycle. Or Fat Albert in a Hugh Hefner smoking jacket. (Mage: The Awakening, if you don't get the reference.)

Last edited:

Deadite

Writer of APs
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I haven’t read V5 and don’t have an informed opinion on quality or contents, but just saw on Twitter that WW has credited Neil Gaiman as an additional writer. (Can anyone with V5 confirm this?)

According to the Twitter exchange with Gaiman, it appears that they’ve used a piece of Gaiman’s work that was printed in an Art of Vampire book in ‘99, but changed the ending.

Interestingly, it appears that the first Gaiman knew of it was when someone brought it to his attention on Twitter. I have no idea what the original agreement was, but according to Gaiman’s site he holds the copyright and it has been published in one of his own collections of stories.

(Ignoring any questions about copyright holders and what the 1999 agreements were) I can’t believe they’d use Gaiman’s work without approaching him, because it would have been a massive marketing coup if they had him on board with their new edition. I can believe that WW would have the self-belief to rewrite Gaiman’s work.

Last edited:

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User

I haven’t read V5 and don’t have an informed opinion on quality or contents, but just saw on Twitter that WW has credited Neil Gaiman as an additional writer. (Can anyone with V5 confirm this?)

According to the Twitter exchange with Gaiman, it appears that they’ve used a piece of Gaiman’s work that was printed in an Art of Vampire book in ‘99, but changed the ending.

Interestingly, it appears that the first Gaiman knew of it was when someone brought it to his attention on Twitter. I have no idea what the original agreement was, but according to Gaiman’s site he holds the copyright and it has been published in one of his own collections of stories.

(Ignoring any questions about copyright holders and what the 1999 agreements were) I can’t believe they’d use Gaiman’s work without approaching him, because it would have been a massive marketing coup if they had him on board with their new edition. I can believe that WW would have the self-belief to rewrite Gaiman’s work.
Emphasis mine.

That is... not exactly surprising given the attitude nuWW has shown in some ways. If anybody could comment on the "new" ending, I'm morbidly curious what nuWW thought would improve on the story to better express their vision.

Lord Stilt-Man

Incomplete Bastard
Validated User

There was an artist getting a lot of work around that time who made everyone they depicted look like identical porcelain dolls, I wasn't a fan.

Pheidias

herder of rampant stories
Validated User

Emphasis mine.

If anybody could comment on the "new" ending, I'm morbidly curious what nuWW thought would improve on the story to better express their vision.
I found the text by looking through my copy of 'The Art of vampire the Masquerade' and comparing it with my copy of V5.

The text in question is an excerpt of 2-3 paragraphs taken from the multi-page Tarot text collage at the beginning of the art book. It briefly describes a conversation between human and a vampire, talking about similarities and differences between their states of being.

The Gaiman vignette ends when the vampire admits she feels sad for her loss of human capacities.

In the V5 version another two sentences are added. One in which she haughtily denies that vampires can cry and the next one in which the human's internal monologue confirms that he can clearly tell that she is lying.

PST

Validated User

I can’t believe they’d use Gaiman’s work without approaching him,
Given the general level of competence so far, I absolutely can believe that, just as I can believe they'd think it okay to edit his original text and add another paragraph.

Because they're really that bad at this

Top Bottom