• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

Really glad it launched with that appendix. Leaving things like Siren in the text without additional context would have been disastrous. TBH, I hope they incorporate feedback and errata into the next printing.

Last edited:

Ghostly Kitty

Banned

There's a picture of hands holding a bunch of real-life buildings in its palms.

One of those buildings is the exploding twin towers.

That alone is proof for me that the game is utterly worthless and is nothing more but a tasteless edge fest made for people who get their politics from /pol/.

I'm sticking to the older editions.

Dalerik

Preaching Gaming Anarchy
Validated User

That alone is proof for me that the game is utterly worthless and is nothing more but a tasteless edge fest made for people who get their politics from /pol/.

Okay? So, the signature event of the 21st Century politics is not to be referenced or addressed by art, 17 years after said event? By a game specifically meant to deal with the zeitgeist of the past 17 years?

Yeah. Okay. This might not be your game.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User

The more I read, the more I like.

Looking through the SI stuff... this is good shit. As someone else said above, it shakes up the setting.

Logos Invictus

Validated User

The more I read, the more I like.

Looking through the SI stuff... this is good shit. As someone else said above, it shakes up the setting.
Honestly I was pretty primed to dislike this book and while VtM probably isn't ever going to be my game the way Chronicles of Darkness is it turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Prokhor Zakharov

Validated User

I interpreted that as meaning that the events of this new century have caused the world to slip through the Kindred's fingers, which is why there was dust falling through the bearer's hands. I'm not sure what that has to do with /pol/.

Last edited:

NeoSamurai

Validated User

the more I think about it, the more SI makes sense in keeping the subtlety and reinforcing elements of the Masquerade as a whole. The ubiquity of technology and surveillance in a modern society needs some filter control to the public as a whole which SI provides. Additionally, SI provides a legitimate threat that STs can use to reign reckless characters in while strengthening the integrity of the setting.

even the avoidance of internet communication by the Camarilla makes sense for folks that understand just how tenuous security measures can really be for things that will ALWAYS be on the internet in some form or another.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User

That's all well and good for a modern world sub-rosa vampire game.

Like, oh, Requiem.

But what people loved about Masquerade was the politics.

Even 5th bills its self as a game of personal and political horror.

But how are you going to have politics with the SI bugging the entire internet? Occasional missives from 'the cam' or 'the anarchs'?

Someone upthread mentioned The Mob - You know what the mob can do? Meet. You know what vampires can't do? Meet.
You've got a spy theme with a guy who actually knows how spies work on your team. You know what 99.9% of spy work is? Boring as fuck.
You know what happens when a spy gets under surveillance? They get fucked. So does everyone they've met with in the last x number of years.
Most vampires assume that means dead, but there's nothing to say the SI hasn't turned people. Moles make just meeting another vampire even more perilous.

If you have a coterie you are, eventually, going to go the way of the Berlin characters. Knowing any other vampire increases your chances of getting horribly murdered by the (actually competent and government funded) SI the minute they're busted.

To continue the mob analogy, if you're a Known Associate of Jimmy the Vaguely Ethnic Nickname the cops can't do anything to you without proof, so you're free to move about until they've got something on you. But since you, as a vampire, are closer to a Spy or Enemy Combatant, you as a known associate of Nick the Vaugely Ethnic Nickname, vampire the SI just black sites you, or follows you around killing all the other vampires you lead them too.

This is a setting that got shaken up, and there's no justification in the book for what you'd call the classic mode of play. No grand conclaves. No Sabbat vs. Cam battles for control of the city. Vampires are immortal creatures that have time, why would any sensible vamipre be part of some johnny come lately [Read- barely 4 centuries old] 'society' or 'organization' who's entire premise was to protect them from the SI when you could just go to ground, lay low for a few decades, and form your own society later. The camarilla's reason for existence has been removed. They were there to protect vampires from mortals. They failed. They have nothing to offer. The anarchs can't provide protection, and the Sabbat are off on some holy war.

What you have left are the survivors of a post-apocalyptic scenario - which is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly not Masquerade. Especially not what the people who really disliked Requiem wanted to see happen the game line.

As for the art, the twin towers thing didn't bother me (though it's dumb as fuck - it includes no other iconic buildings, focusing only on the towers in mid-explosion), but how about that Nosferatu photo with text describing the clan weakness and how inhuman they are and the art is....just some black dude.

Also someone pointed out that Vienna was blamed on ISIS. In 2008. Which I didn't catch.
Spoiler: The theocratic nutjobs that would become ISIS were just part of the Al Qida Iraq West franchise back in 2008.

Between the feelings of rushed (thanks Heavy Arms) and the return of Classic WW accuracy about anything that isn't White American/European I'm less than thrilled.

Last edited:

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User

But how are you going to have politics with the SI bugging the entire internet? Occasional missives from 'the cam' or 'the anarchs'?
Politics managed to function for quite a while before the internet.

Someone upthread mentioned The Mob - You know what the mob can do? Meet. You know what vampires can't do? Meet.
Yes they can.

You know what 99.9% of spy work is? Boring as fuck. You know what happens when a spy gets under surveillance? They get fucked. So does everyone they've met with in the last x number of years. Most vampires assume that means dead, but there's nothing to say the SI hasn't turned people. Moles make just meeting another vampire even more perilous.
A bit hyperbolic, don't you think? The Second Inquisition isn't a unified entity watching your every step, it's a plot device to shake up the previously static setting, and reflect modern surveillance society. The SI is ultimately as omnipresent as you like.

This is a setting that got shaken up, and there's no justification in the book for what you'd call the classic mode of play. No grand conclaves. No Sabbat vs. Cam battles for control of the city.
Elements of the Camarilla, Sabbat, and Anarchs are still there, and have every reason to contest territory. The major change has been the weakening and Balkanisation of the factions to actually allow the players some breathing room.

.......the return of Classic WW accuracy about anything that isn't White American/European I'm less than thrilled.
I've seen no evidence of this, and the renaming of the Assamites together with the Darker Days interview where it was mentioned that they would be employing writers with regional knowledge, might suggest otherwise.

The important thing is that you've got an open mind on the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom